IGNORED

Forum Migration Tonight!

Albert

I think it is the same thing. Yes it shows the actual posts itself... but it DOES also contain the thread (which is how it used to be). Just click the topic link right there on the top of each item.

But I don't want to see the actual posts... They take up too much screenspace. I just want to see the threads.

Besides, how would you know if someone had posted something new in that thread by looking at your own posts?

Edited by Gregory DG

I think it is the same thing. Yes it shows the actual posts itself... but it DOES also contain the thread (which is how it used to be). Just click the topic link right there on the top of each item.

But I don't want to see the actual posts... They take up too much screenspace. I just want to see the threads.

835754[/snapback]

Yeah I could see that when checking your own posts.. sometimes you just want to see the threads you posted to and being able to quickly view replies to them. There's pretty much little reason to want to see the content of your own posts :P

But on the other hand it is useful like I said to see when searching for another person's posts. For example... it used to be looking up a post by say.. Nukey Shay in the "Atariage Photo Thread" was a long and tedious process of manually searching through the thread. Now you can see it right away.

So it goes both ways I guess now that I've had a chance to play with it more. 1. I like seeing the posts when searching for other users. 2. I DON'T like seeing the posts when searching for my own.

...Is this a customizable option Al?

I don't like how Topic Reply Notifications are presented.

First, the Link to the topic should be at the TOP of the email so I can click the link first thing. I don't need to see the message since it's not even a representation of all the replies after it, so why show it? Move the link to the top of the email. When I go through my morning/afternoon/nightly Topic Reply Notes, I like to do it quickly. When the URL is ALWAYS in the same spot, this is easy. But with Invision's default email style, I can't click the same spot. This is annoying. I am a Mac user, I am used to things working intuatively. Both Invision and punBB do this. (MacAddict switched to pun a few months ago. Their emails are the same horribly unintuative style.)

Second, the email title should be shortened. I mean "Topic Subscription Reply Notification (From Atariage) is a freaking ass long SUBJECT! The subject should say simple "Title of topic - Topic Reply Notification". I want to see the topics name first. I already KNOW what forum it's from! The "From" column says this. No need to put the forums name in there! No one else does!

Case in point:

aaemail.jpg

phpBB did emails right. No long names, descriptive Subjects, easy to read emails without extraneous garbage. Al, buddy. When ya get a chance, see if you can't fix this. :)

This is proably the one thing I can find wrong with the place right now. It's my biggest peeve, and the one thing (Emails) that either keeps me coming back or turns me off.

phpBB did emails right. No long names, descriptive Subjects, easy to read emails without extraneous garbage. Al, buddy. When ya get a chance, see if you can't fix this. :)

836305[/snapback]

I will look at this later tonight, I agree that the topic subject should be in the email subject line, and that the prefix before the subject should be fairly short. I will see about moving the link higher up in the email as well. The emails are pretty much the stock Invision mails, I haven't touched them yet. But I'm sure they are easy to modify.

..Al

I think the search feature is goofed up. I tried and tried and tried different ways to get this thread to pop up, but nothing worked. :?

I specifically searched in the "Computers, Science, & Technology" forum for "blu-ray", "BLU-RAY", "Blu-Ray", "hd-dvd", "HD-DVD", "Which will win" none of these showed the thread I was looking for. All I get is an "Unfortunately your search didn't return any results. Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search. Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'."

Doing a search in "All Forums" didn't work either, nor the higher level search of "Off Topic." :(

Whoah.. you can get an email when a reply is put onto a topic? :? When did that happen? :P

836436[/snapback]

Oh, you didn't know?

:P

I make sure to keep this feature off, though some forums that I have been to, don't even allow you a choice when it comes to email notification of topics.

Whoah.. you can get an email when a reply is put onto a topic? :? When did that happen? :P

836436[/snapback]

Oh, you didn't know?

:P

I make sure to keep this feature off, though some forums that I have been to, don't even allow you a choice when it comes to email notification of topics.

838833[/snapback]

Yeah, if you visit the forums frequently, it's not terribly useful, unless there's some "hot topic" that you absolutely must know immediately when someone responds. But if you don't frequent the forums on a daily (or near-daily) basis, it can be quite useful. You can also subscribe to whole forums, so you'll know when someone starts a new thread or responds to an existing thread.

..Al