IGNORED

"Search" question

candiru

I used to have pretty good luck with the old search feature, is there something I'm overlooking with the new one? (This is highly possible now that AtariAge has given us so many new features.)

I know that phpBB required at least 3 characters to perform a search. Do the new forums require more than that or ignore common terms? The reason I ask is because it's become more difficult to get relevant results when looking for information about particular consoles. Terms like N64 or other common system abbreviations that we all use on a regular basis seem to be ignored.

For instance, when looking specifically for information about N64 ports of games, adding "+N64" seems to have little bearing on the outcome of the search.

Now I'm the first to admit that I know squat about coding software or maintaining a forum. However, if there is a minimum character limit in place, would there be a way to add exceptions to the rule?

Thanks

I just did some research on this and believe I can fix it. I have IPB configured to use a feature of MySQL called "Full Text Search", which results in quick results when searching through a large amount of text. Unfortunately, the default minimum word size is set to four. This is a MySQL setting, and I have changed it to three, but I need to drop and rebuild the indexes for the tables using the full-text search. I will have to wait until late tonight to do this, as it could take some time to rebuild the index for the 830,000+ posts we have. Since I don't know how long it'll take, nor how that will affect the board while it's running, I don't want to take a chance and do it during the middle of the day.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, should be working fine tomorrow. :)

..Al

I made a change to the IPB configuration for it not to use the MySQL "Full Text" search option, which means that searches for three character words should now work. It's slower than "Full Text" searching, though, so I still plan on rebuilding the indexes tonight and changing it back tomorrow to see how well the three-character searches work with that.

..Al

I just did a search for an old thread of mine and came up with nothing.

So then I broadened the search. I searched on the word "atari" and my name and it returned one result!! I think there is still a problem with the search engine.

I just did a search for an old thread of mine and came up with nothing.

So then I broadened the search. I searched on the word "atari" and my name and it returned one result!! I think there is still a problem with the search engine.

841386[/snapback]

Gregory DG gave me a goods heads up on this search feature - in the refine search area under "Search posts from..." makes sure you pick within 7 days or whenever the date you think the post was done then it works fine - a workaround for "ego search" :)

Nope no good. Just tried a search for "bologna" and my username....returned no results.

Then I tried to remove association with my name and it returned 5.

Then a little later I tried it again with my name and it returned 2.

Very weird.

I'm just using "Any Date" I tried with 356 days (No difference)

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a slightly different problem with search.

I am doing a search for "alternate reality" but I end up getting about 80 pages of many posts that do not have "alternate reality" in them.

I also tried searching for +alternate +reality with the same problem, I get a bunch of results that do not have both required words in them.

I tried the basic search and the advanced search, which specifically states that a search for "some word" will only return results containing the phrase 'some word' and not any containing 'some unknown word' or results that do not contain the phase.

Is there a trick to using search or does it still not work!

Edited by Xebec's Demise

• 2 weeks later...

I have been noticing the same problem. Has any else noticed this?

Dan

I am having a slightly different problem with search.

I am doing a search for "alternate reality" but I end up getting about 80 pages of many posts that do not have "alternate reality" in them.

I also tried searching for +alternate +reality with the same problem, I get a bunch of results that do not have both required words in them.

I tried the basic search and the advanced search,  which specifically states that a search for "some word" will only return results containing the phrase 'some word' and not any containing 'some unknown word' or results that do not contain the phase.

Is there a trick to using search or does it still not work!

852539[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I opened a trouble ticket with IPB a few days ago and they are investigating it. Hopefully they can shed a clue as to what is taking place. As an aside, we are now testing IPB 2.1 Beta 2 on a separate area of the site, and I'm expecting we'll be able to install it on the main forum by the end of August/early September.

..Al

I opened a trouble ticket with IPB a few days ago and they are investigating it.  Hopefully they can shed a clue as to what is taking place.  As an aside, we are now testing IPB 2.1 Beta 2 on a separate area of the site, and I'm expecting we'll be able to install it on the main forum by the end of August/early September. 

..Al

892073[/snapback]

Thank you Albert! Ask (enough times) and ye shall receive... *ZAP* [gets struck by lightning bolt]

I opened a trouble ticket with IPB a few days ago and they are investigating it.  Hopefully they can shed a clue as to what is taking place.  As an aside, we are now testing IPB 2.1 Beta 2 on a separate area of the site, and I'm expecting we'll be able to install it on the main forum by the end of August/early September. 

..Al

892073[/snapback]

Thanks for the response. :)

..Al

892073[/snapback]

Thanks for the response. :)

892373[/snapback]

I've gotten a response from them today. They have replicated the problem and are investigating it. They said they would be discussing it at a tech meeting today. Hopefully they'll have an answer soon.

..Al

Good to hear!

I still keep trying to use it thinking it might just magically start working, but then I am disapointed every time.

You search for two key words or even a phrase and it will return results that contain any of the single words.

So a search for "atari computer" will return all messages that have "atari" in them and all messages that have "computer" in them. And, that's a lot of messages. :)

You search for two key words or even a phrase and it will return results that contain any of the single words.

So a search for "atari computer" will return all messages that have "atari" in them and all messages that have "computer" in them.  And, that's a lot of messages.  :)

893703[/snapback]

Yeah, it's not terribly useful in that regard. Still waiting to hear back from IPB on the open trouble ticket I have with them on this. Would be nice to see a resolution to this problem soon.

..Al

• 1 month later...