IGNORED

MPG of my engine

Thanks for that.  The scrolling is now 4 times quicker.  Goddamn it's awesome.  I'm planning to release another MPG on Sunday night featuring working slime and butterflies, water, diamonds and full boulder physics!  It's all going so smoothly it feels like one of the best designed programs I've ever written.

846255[/snapback]

Don't you see? That's fate! It's telling you to either convert it to a conventional bank switching method, or to prototype the cart hardware that would support it as it exists now! :-)

Can't wait for the new MPG though.

Can't wait for the new MPG though.

846274[/snapback]

Butterfly prototype -- and fast scroll in action!

Here's a sneak-preview, then! 10 seconds looking at my first effort at butterflies. For 4-pixel wide objects I'm very happy with them. Then I shoot off to the right to show off the impressive scroll speed. A few glitches here and there, but hey, work in progress :)

Cheers

A

Slime, filling the screen!

Here's another preview -- this MPG shows the player moving briefly, a bit of diamond and boulder physics, then the slime patch starts growing; it takes just a couple of seconds to fill the whole screen. Actually, this is just 5 minutes after the first time I ever saw it working :) There's no appreciable slowdown as all this drawing is happening.

Cheers

A

Here's another preview -- this MPG shows the player moving briefly, a bit of diamond and boulder physics, then the slime patch starts growing;  it takes just a couple of seconds to fill the whole screen.  Actually, this is just 5 minutes after the first time I ever saw it working :) There's no appreciable slowdown as all this drawing is happening.

Cheers

A

846295[/snapback]

I cant get this one,

Haydn

Me bad.  The above should work.

846380[/snapback]

Now your just being cruel. :P

-Tim

846786[/snapback]

Looks like I will be demonstrating this game/engine on hardware in person at the Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition on June 18th this year. So if you really want to see just how true to the original this is.... make your way to Tulsa and you'll be able to play it for yourself. :cool:

Cheers

A

Me bad.  The above should work.

846380[/snapback]

Now your just being cruel. :P

-Tim

846786[/snapback]

Looks like I will be demonstrating this game/engine on hardware in person at the Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition on June 18th this year. So if you really want to see just how true to the original this is.... make your way to Tuscon and you'll be able to play it for yourself. :cool:

Cheers

A

846810[/snapback]

Um, Tuscon is in Arizona. I think you mean Tulsa.

So your going to be there in person? Cool! Can't wait to meet you.

-Tim :)

846814[/snapback]

It's a damn good thing I haven't booked my tickets, isn't it! Yes, Tulsa. I knew it started with "T". My knowledge of American geography about as bad as most of America's knowledge of geography of the world.

The first fully-working no-glitching screen with slime, boulders, diamonds and butterflies in action at the same time. 8MB download, but worth it. Note the game has no noticeable slowdown despite all the stuff going on. And the ROM is still under 8K! Next comes moving butterflies and after that, probably butterflies and slime to diamond routines. Should be fun! I'm aiming for a fully working game for the show... but we will see.

Here's sample of the same thing, but using the split-screen two player mode. As you can see, the engine is quite capable and nearly complete.

Cheers

A

PS: A flock of random butterflies in action. -- 2MB

846814[/snapback]

It's a damn good thing I haven't booked my tickets, isn't it! Yes, Tulsa. I knew it started with "T". My knowledge of American geography about as bad as most of America's knowledge of geography of the world.

The first fully-working no-glitching screen with slime, boulders, diamonds and butterflies in action at the same time. 8MB download, but worth it. Note the game has no noticeable slowdown despite all the stuff going on. And the ROM is still under 8K! Next comes moving butterflies and after that, probably butterflies and slime to diamond routines. Should be fun! I'm aiming for a fully working game for the show... but we will see.

Here's sample of the same thing, but using the split-screen two player mode. As you can see, the engine is quite capable and nearly complete.

Cheers

A

PS: A flock of random butterflies in action. -- 2MB

846830[/snapback]

Soory to bring bad news again, the third one wont work.

Haydn

Holy crap, Andrew.  Few things make my jaw drop these days, but that was incredible.  Two player split-screen action, even!!  My God.  There has got to be a way to get this on to hardware and distributed proper-like.

846936[/snapback]

If I had 500 preorders, that would be very persuasive ;)

I have fixed the broken MPG links in my earlier posts -- all should now load. And here's the latest sample, showing butterflies chasing -- 4MB.

I have solved my free-space in the fixed bank problems, so now I see no impediment at all for working towards a good version to demo at the show. And right now I have no mysterious bugs -- all the systems are working perfectly.

The next task is to integrate some of the code to make the systems work more smoothly, and install features like magic walls, slime logic (changing to boulders, etc) and missing creature(s). And then, I guess, I might just try implementing some actual levels.

I'll also have to chase up a partner to work on music and sound before the show.

Cheers

A

I have fixed the broken MPG links in my earlier posts -- all should now load.  And here's the latest sample, showing butterflies chasing -- 4MB.

847163[/snapback]

Wow, the killer butterflies look fantastic! That really gets me into the Boulder Dash mood. :) I may need to go through the game again on the Atari 8-bit computers. I know I finished the first game (which I bought way back when), but not sure if I ever played Boulder Dash II. Keep up the great work!! I'm sure people will enjoy this at the show! :)

..Al

It's a damn good thing I haven't booked my tickets, isn't it!  Yes, Tulsa.  I knew it started with "T".  My knowledge of American geography about as bad as most of America's knowledge of geography of the world.

Hey! I take great offense at that.

You Europeans think you know everything.

;)

I have introduced a bug :x, somehow, which generates extra boulders and diamonds... but I thought since that *really* puts lots of action on the screen :P, I'd demo a clip showing butterfly, firefly, slime, water, boulders, diamonds and two magic walls, all at the same time... with little slowdown. -- 2.2MB.

Cheers

A

• 2 years later...