IGNORED

What are some good hack programs?

rvdsb

For that you pretty much need generalized programming tools.... a disassembler like Distella, an assembler like Dasm, an emulator with a debugger (I used PCAE back in the day, I suppose most people would use Z26 now if they're able) and all the documentation you can stand to read ;)

Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Try Hack-O-Matic ][ instead.

http://www.dacodez.tk/

852375[/snapback]

That host has been down forever. Got a mirror? :ponder:

Checked at Zophar...but it looks like it was never submitted :(

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/mod.html

852458[/snapback]

Damn, sorry about that. I had downloaded the program from that site a while ago and I checked only to see if the page loaded.

My hard drive has crashed and I'd really like to get that program back. I had the zip file on there even. I'd post it if my computer was still alive.

Damn, sorry about that.  I had downloaded the program from that site a while ago and I checked only to see if the page loaded.

My hard drive has crashed and I'd really like to get that program back.  I had the zip file on there even.  I'd post it if my computer was still alive.

853660[/snapback]

Well, I have a copy on my HD, I think. This what you're looking for?

HOM2.zip

Downloaded it tonight and tried running it, but nothing happened...?

If you are running XP, then you need to set the compatibility to 98 or older to get the old Hack-O-Matic to work. If I remember right, HOM][ is better though; it has more useful options like loading the ROM in an emulator or flipping the data.

• 2 weeks later...
Downloaded it tonight and tried running it, but nothing happened...?

If you are running XP, then you need to set the compatibility to 98 or older to get the old Hack-O-Matic to work. If I remember right, HOM][ is better though; it has more useful options like loading the ROM in an emulator or flipping the data.

855153[/snapback]

Right, it works, but I can't make heads or tails of what I'm trying to hack. Is there any kind of tutorial out there somewhere?

Tutorial? It's pretty much self-explainatory. Load a file, scroll around, point-and-click pixels when you see recognizable shapes in the data, save when finished. However, editing sprite data isn't always possible (for instance, if the values are shared with another table)...and it's very important not to stray from definate sprite shapes (because the seemingly "random" pixels in the majority of the rom are really the program instructions...editing those might cause the game to crash).