IGNORED

Atari 2600 cart Space Mission?

shining slade

I vaguely remember this from somewhere, but I did a google search just now. That turned up a couple references. One is the old VGR list of games which shows this as an unreleased title for CX2603, Star Ship. You can kind of make out the text on the label as:

space mission

1.9 space mission

10.11 warp drive

12.17 lunar lander

Overall, for those into label variations, an incredible find! It could be pre-release label. I wonder if a box was made for this also. Congrats to ssk!

It's hard to tell from that picture. It could be real, but I would have serious doubts. I know people who got the 2600 when it was first available and they got a Star Ship cart not Space Mission. But stranger things have happened.

That Super Challenge Baseball label looks odd too. I'd like to see that up close. Anyone know the person who won this?

Tempest

I sent him an email asking him about it. Here is what he told me :-

hello friend

in response to both your questions, I will have to say

I dont know, these carts were given to me for the kids

to play with some years ago, Im not an up to date know

it all collecter about these things, I did test the

carts but as to there games, Im unsure, there are

sites I found check here

http://my.execpc.com/~krieg/VidGames.htm

but you probably know about them already.

thanks

Dean

That's all he told me.

Wow, very cool. It certainly seems legit -- I mean, it's not like the seller was trying to hype it as a "very rare prototype" or anything. The auction just seems like it was the average Joe selling off some Atari carts....

Tempest what would have happened to the Space Missions used in the adverts?  Were they real games or just empty cases.  If they were real then what happened to them?

890529[/snapback]

I always assumed it was a mock up. I could be a real cart I guess. Who knows?

Tempest

If I had to guess, I'd say any mock-up carts made for ads were probably either trashed, destroyed, or saved to re-use (as other mock-ups). It's possible but IMO unlikely that a few of them might have been kept by the photo crew or marketing department members who worked with the photo crew.

BTW, my guess would be that the Space Mission (and the Air-Sea Battle) in the ad posted above by crunchysuperman are probably mockups, since they lack the # on the end label, while there's a fair chance that the one used in the Popular Mechanics ad may have been a production cart. It's fairly obvious that the famous Crazy Climber cart from the AA V1 #5 ad is a mockup since it lacks much text - CX number, "Fuji" logo, copyright info, etc.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I attempted to contact the guy who originally sold the game lot as well as the guy who won them. I am beginning to think that the game was a fake as firstly the seller could offer me no information on the game in question other than he had purchased them for his kids some years ago and secondly I have contacted the purchaser some three times and he has failed to answer the question. All he did was read the top label of the game and when pressed if the game actually worked and if it was in reality Starship he never got back to me so I guess that the experts were right and it was too good to be true.

I attempted to contact the guy who originally sold the game lot as well as the guy who won them.  I am beginning to think that the game was a fake as firstly the seller could offer me no information on the game in question other than he had purchased them for his kids some years ago and secondly I have contacted the purchaser some three times and he has failed to answer the question.  All he did was read the top label of the game and when pressed if the game actually worked and if it was in reality Starship he never got back to me so I guess that the experts were right and it was too good to be true.

892873[/snapback]

Some people are just sensitive. It still may be real.......

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know it's an old topic, but did anyone save the image(s) from the eBay listing, and if so would you please post them here?

BTW, the Bob Whitehead interwiew at DP (w/ 2 ads showing "Space Mission") is at a new address: DP Interviews ... Bob Whitehead.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 11 months later...