IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

Well.. at least the Walmart I went to here in Lynwood, Wa. :P

Yeah so I was strolling around, picking up some cleaning supplies and some rubbers and decided to stroll over to the toy section and lo and behold, the Flashback 2! :D They were 30 bucks, so I picked up one. I figure I'll pick up another or two when they start getting clearanced in a couple of months or next year or whenever. I haven't plugged it in yet and probably won't until maybe a free moment next weekend. But thought I'd mention they are indeed out :)

Edited by NE146

Wow, I checked on Saturday at my local Walmart and they weren't out yet. Perhaps today. Did see about 10 joystick/joypad all-in one games I'd never seen before... arcade quality Street Fighter, a "coleco" multigame with a little plastic suitcase holder, etc.

Gonna pick up 2 Flashbacks as soon as I see them at the store. One will stay in the box, the other will get the cartridge mod. Since I don't actually have a VCS currently, the modded FB 2.0 will be probably see quite a bit of action... right now I'm just using a 7800 for 2600 games.

Power supply! Yay!

I've often thought about going after the newer dedicated systems, but batteries-only is a huge turn-off. I'm really glad Atari didn't go that route with this one.

Say.. that power supply wouldn't happen to work on a vintage Atari 2600, would it?

Ohhhh I can't wait to get ahold of one, the very first thing i'm going to do is open it up ;)

902481[/snapback]

You might want to verify that it works first. That could save you a lot of debugging time later. =)

902503[/snapback]

Well yeah, obviously. I want to play a quick game of quadrun before ripping it open.

I JUST GOT MINE! After reading this post, I called several of the local Walmarts in the Milwaukee area, and found one that had some in stock. I ran over there and picked up two- (one to keep original, one to hack with a a cartridge port). I hurried home and opened it up like a kid on Christmas morning. Nice- except for a couple of minor points- the joysticks included with the system are nice and very responsive, but I wanted to try the "legacy" controller to see if they are compatible. So, I plugged in the original Atari controllers, and found that they fit too loose in the jack, and keep falling out. Furthermore, since they fit too loosely in the jack, they didn't make a good enough connection to use (you'd have to hold it in and jiggle them to make them work). I also noticed alot of flicker on some games like Yar's Return and Lunar Lander. I'll try it on a different TV to see if that works better. I also found some sounds are "off" or missing- the footstep sounds in Haunted House sound different, and there's no voice in Quadrun, which is weird since they mention how groundbreaking the voice sample was in the Flashback manual. Don't get me wrong- I'm excited about this system, but these are just a few things I noticed right away upon trying the system out for a few minutes. Also- in the manual, it says that they included an "alternate" version of Millipede. I thought it was the different, unreleased version that included the cool title screen, but when I tried it out it looks like the familiar released version.

Edited by tillenterprises

Power supply!  Yay!

I've often thought about going after the newer dedicated systems, but batteries-only is a huge turn-off.  I'm really glad Atari didn't go that route with this one.

Say.. that power supply wouldn't happen to work on a vintage Atari 2600, would it?

902337[/snapback]

No, it's a 9V 200a power supply with a different type of plug (NES-style).

How does the audio/video look? does it look alright?

Thats ashame about the quadrun and no voice.. I so wanted to rock the dorms with Quadrun, Quadrun, Quadrun!

902534[/snapback]

Well, I went and hooked it up to another TV. The audio/video look great on the Atari original games that I tried (except for sound issues with Haunted House and Quadrun), and feel very much like playing it on an original Atari system. However, I'm disappointed in the flicker and appearance on some of the "new" games. I was really looking forward to Yar's Return, but it flickers so bad it actually has double-images. Caverns of Mars is another one that flickers badly. Adventure II will probably require you to turn up the brightness or contrast on your TV- the background is very dark and hard to see your character. Pitfall and River Raid looks and sounds great, but to me, it seemed that River Raid scrolls quicker than it does on the original cartridge(no I don't have the joystick stuck in the up position). I will have time later to play each game more extensively.

Adventure II will probably require you to turn up the brightness or contrast on your TV- the background is very dark and hard to see your character. 

Actually I didn't post yet but I too opened up mine late last night as I just couldn't resist. First game I tried was Adventure.. seemed 100%, then I tried Adventure 2 and I too thought it looked really really dark. You really have a hard time seeing your character...kind of a strange color choice! :?

I played a little Asteroids Deluxe as well.. very cool! It's like the original Asteroids w/ Thomas' remining ships hack on the top and one Asteroid made to look like those triangular ships that chase you. When you shoot it it breaks up and for the couple of seconds I played.. it looked like they did in fact chase. I dig it :D

Life and work's a little too busy right now so I hope to really get a chance to dig into the unit sometime this weekend. :)

How does the audio/video look? does it look alright?

Thats ashame about the quadrun and no voice.. I so wanted to rock the dorms with Quadrun, Quadrun, Quadrun!

902534[/snapback]

Well, I went and hooked it up to another TV. The audio/video look great on the Atari original games that I tried (except for sound issues with Haunted House and Quadrun), and feel very much like playing it on an original Atari system. However, I'm disappointed in the flicker and appearance on some of the "new" games. I was really looking forward to Yar's Return, but it flickers so bad it actually has double-images. Caverns of Mars is another one that flickers badly. Adventure II will probably require you to turn up the brightness or contrast on your TV- the background is very dark and hard to see your character. Pitfall and River Raid looks and sounds great, but to me, it seemed that River Raid scrolls quicker than it does on the original cartridge(no I don't have the joystick stuck in the up position). I will have time later to play each game more extensively.

902541[/snapback]

No Quadrun voice??? Very odd, haven't seen that problem and I just recieve a sample pull of 10 units from a Walmart order for Q/A'ing Water Kingdom is ADV2 is off, checking why the green is dark, it should be 3 shades brighter, only the Hedge Kindgom should look darkish to give the effect of being in a forest-type kingdom...

As for flickering, Yar's Return has so much going on, on the screen it wasn't easy getting some much action and not have the usual flickering, CoM, again has flickering in certain sections.

Curt