IGNORED

Picture of a Supercharger In Store Demo Unit.

CPUWIZ

funky so that actually works in tandem with a 2600 and a supercharger? i assume it has some demos stored in it or something? has it been dumped? when can we buy the cd for our superchargers? etc :-)

LOL, I only got it today, I haven't even plugged it in yet. :)

* plugs in demo unit *

Between MArco' date=' Tempest, and CPUWIZ, I'm surprised there's ANY rare stuff anymore. ;)[/quote']

Hehehehe :)

On a more serious note, there is so much stuff turning up in this hobby, that was once considered to be rare, but that is suddenly widely available after someone finds some old stock. I tracked down a boxed Supercharger Demo Unit a couple of years ago. I first heard about them when someone sold a couple at World of Atari (or CGE). I wasn't there, so I was thrilled to find someone that had one for trade later on. And now they just pop up, brand new in the box, on eBay. Of course, the thrill of the hunt is still very cool, but it feels a little frustrating sometimes as well. I'm more and more convinced there really aren't a lot of items that can't be had - just a matter of time. I sometimes wish I was a more patient man ;)

Cheers,

Marco

On a more serious note' date=' there is so much stuff turning up in this hobby, that was once considered to be rare, but that is suddenly widely available after someone finds some old stock. I tracked down a boxed Supercharger Demo Unit a couple of years ago. I first heard about them when someone sold a couple at World of Atari (or CGE). I wasn't there, so I was thrilled to find someone that had one for trade later on. And now they just pop up, brand new in the box, on eBay. Of course, the thrill of the hunt is still very cool, but it feels a little frustrating sometimes as well. I'm more and more convinced there really aren't a lot of items that can't be had - just a matter of time. I sometimes wish I was a more patient man ;)

Cheers,

Marco[/quote']

This one did not come from eBay. ;)

oh, thats awesome. the first 2600 'scene' demo ? we must have that on cd to go next to labrynth. It should be number 0

Putting the demo on CD isn't trivial. The only audio portion is the "bootstrap" code that enables the 2600 to load through the joyport. After the inital load, one could unplug the audio cable and it would still work as everything is going through the joyport (Like Eckhards Dev OS for the 7800). In order to dump the contents, one would have to open one up and dump the rom. Perhaps, someone could figure a way to read the data as it "streams" through the joyport. Once dumped, your best bet would be to use the Cuttle Cart 2 to play it, provided it doesn't use any funky bankswitching.

-Lee

Thanks for the movies. I never saw the Star Charger in the day so it is nice to get an idea of what they were like.

I actually got mine from Bob Brown, but it didn't work for years until Sean Kelly replaced a bad EPROM(s) with copies of a working unit. Sadly, it's missing the lid, but my consolation was that I have it from the source. :-)

I still haven't gotten a complete one though, so if there's a relatively cheap source out there, I'd sure like to know about it.

• 1 year later...
oh, thats awesome. the first 2600 'scene' demo ?  we must have that on cd to go next to labrynth. It should be number 0

Putting the demo on CD isn't trivial. The only audio portion is the "bootstrap" code that enables the 2600 to load through the joyport. After the inital load, one could unplug the audio cable and it would still work as everything is going through the joyport (Like Eckhards Dev OS for the 7800). In order to dump the contents, one would have to open one up and dump the rom. Perhaps, someone could figure a way to read the data as it "streams" through the joyport. Once dumped, your best bet would be to use the Cuttle Cart 2 to play it, provided it doesn't use any funky bankswitching.

-Lee

390244[/snapback]

Does anyone have a dump of the bootstrap program? (i.e. the audio converted back to a BIN)? With that you could disassemble the BIN and see how it talks through the joystick port.

oh, thats awesome. the first 2600 'scene' demo ?  we must have that on cd to go next to labrynth. It should be number 0

-Lee

390244[/snapback]

Does anyone have a dump of the bootstrap program? (i.e. the audio converted back to a BIN)? With that you could disassemble the BIN and see how it talks through the joystick port.

904846[/snapback]

I used to have the wav file I sent to Eckhard and John for Z26 emulation. It would be easy enough to create another and then convert it to bin. I don't have the time right now.

Regards,

-Lee

Does anyone have a dump of the bootstrap program?  (i.e. the audio converted back to a BIN)?  With that you could disassemble the BIN and see how it talks through the joystick port.

904846[/snapback]

I used to have the wav file I sent to Eckhard and John for Z26 emulation. It would be easy enough to create another and then convert it to bin. I don't have the time right now.

Regards,

-Lee

905016[/snapback]

I think I still have the binary and the commented source code I created from it. I think I even posted the source code to the Stella list a couple of years ago. The problem with the transfer protocol is, that the first thing it does is to overwrite parts of the loading routine with new code that contains information about how many data blocks to read from the demo unit and where to store them in the SC RAM. So in order to read out the data from the demo unit one would have to read out these small code blocks, analyze them and then adapt the transfer program to read the next blocks.

If I, or someone else who can program a 2600/7800 to PC communication, had physical access to a SC demo unit, it would be fairly easy to do that. But if I had to send the code to Lee and then get the resulting data block back and analyze it so that I can create a modified reading program for Lee to read the next couple of blocks, that would be a lengthy and tedious process. IIRC we never even tried it back then, because Lee was having problems with setting up his PC to use with the carrtridge reader.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg