IGNORED

atari800 win + final? is here

carmel_andrews

like the title says, atari 800 win+ final has arrived... just finished d/l ing it

heres the link

http://atariarea.histeria.pl/PLus/index_us.htm

Christ... that jaskier, he's getting quicker (2 updates within a month)

923757[/snapback]

hmmmm, still no triangle waveform (that a real pokey can produce) :roll:

923773[/snapback]

triangle waveform.... isn't that more ASDR/ADSR area which is more 'SIDS' area and not so much POKEY's

triangle waveform.... isn't that more ASDR/ADSR area which is more 'SIDS' area and not so much POKEY's

923793[/snapback]

No, it's simple poke statements to pokey registers, and you'll get trianglewave sounds. BE SURE TO TRY THIS ON A REAL POKEY. In emulators this won't work!!!

Just try this in atari basic:

Be sure all pokey channels are enabled:

sound 0,100,10,10:end

then:

poke 53768,96 This enables both channel 1 & 3 on 1.79mhz basefrequency (without filtering)

poke 53761,175:poke 53765,175 choose distortion A ot max.volume F on both channels 1 & 3.

poke 53760,44:poke 53764,45 choose two pitches that are differing exactly 1.

Now an interference effect in the circuits and the capacitors (that generate the squarewaves) will happen. You should hear a note with a very hollow sound-colour: this is pokey's trianglewaveform, just available for everyone.

Would some people like to try this (on real hardware !!! NTSC and PAL), and tell what their experience is???

In the Hardsynth thread you can read more about it (listen to MP3's with the 'violin'-tune and read about Bryan's comments)

Edited by analmux

923793[/snapback]

No, it's simple poke statements to pokey registers, and you'll get trianglewave sounds. BE SURE TO TRY THIS ON A REAL POKEY. In emulators this won't work!!!

then:

poke 53768,96 This enables both channel 1 & 3 on 1.79mhz basefrequency (without filtering)

poke 53761,175:poke 53765,175 choose distortion A ot max.volume F on both channels 1 & 3.

Now an interference effect in the circuits and the capacitors (that generate the squarewaves) will happen. You should hear a note with a very hollow sound-colour: this is pokey's trianglewaveform, just available for everyone.

Would some people like to try this (on real hardware !!! NTSC and PAL), and tell what their experience is???

In the Hardsynth thread you can read more about it (listen to MP3's with the 'violin'-tune and read about Bryan's comments)

923816[/snapback]

I have the hardware... just can't connect it to a tv...sorry.... who is doing or responsible for the sound lib. atari800win plus... perhaps he/she should be told about this problem (incompatibility)

923793[/snapback]

then:

923816[/snapback]

On my NTSC machine, it produced a note, but it was very quiet.

Stephen Anderson

On my NTSC machine, it produced a note, but it was very quiet.

Stephen Anderson

924026[/snapback]

Try it again. Two notes that are only slightly out of phase will probably come out sounding a little different each time depending on when exactly the second waveform came in. It's called "phase differential," and basically it means that the closer in sync the second waveform is to the first the more the two will cancel each other out. A more pronounced phase differential will produce an effect called "flanging" where the second waveform, having more distant peaks and valleys than the first, will cycle in an out of phase with the first waveform.

well, it is indeed supposed to be a very quiet sound, it's only a resulting wave of two added sounds (that cannot be heard on their own).

but @ Mindfield,

did you get louder sounds when you did some tricks (like syncing or 'flanging')??

...because for the wave in question it shouldn't matter if they're out of sync, because it's already two different pitches where P_resulting = (P_1 - P_2) /2, so in fact they ARE continuously in and out synchronization.

well, it is indeed supposed to be a very quiet sound, it's only a resulting wave of two added sounds (that cannot be heard on their own).

but @ Mindfield,

did you get louder sounds when you did some tricks (like syncing or 'flanging')??

...because for the wave in question it shouldn't matter if they're out of sync, because it's already two different pitches where P_resulting = (P_1 - P_2) /2, so in fact they ARE continuously in and out synchronization.

924784[/snapback]

I haven't actually tried it on real hardware (I haven't managed to get an 8-bit system together) but it's a common effect in music and sound. The effect can be more or less pronounced based on the shape of the waveform, the distance between the peaks of the first and second wave, and the amount of phase applied:

Shape: Different waveforms produce different sounds. A square wave will produce a loud, harsh sound; triangle waves will produce soft, attenuated sounds, sawtooth waves will produce louder but less harsh sounds, and sine waves produce smooth "pure" tones.

Distance: If you were to picture two square waves and superimpose one right on top of the other, perfectly lined up, you would have two waveforms that are in phase. Because they are in phase however, they will effectively cancel each other out. If you were to slide one over a bit, they will only cancel each other out where the peaks and valleys directly overlap; the amount of space between each peak and valley will effectively be the only parts you will be able to hear, so the more distance between each peak and valley, the less one waveform cancels the other out and the more you can hear.

Phase: If one waveform has a pitch that is just slightly different from the other, the distance between peaks and valleys of one waveform will be slightly longer than the other, which will create a continual phase shift (also called "flanging") resulting a sine pattern of shifting between cancelling each other out and being directly at opposite points of the phase. With a more pronounced pitch difference this effect will be more obvious.

You can do this in BASIC with ordinary SOUND statements by playing two channels of sound with one of them one note lower or higher than the other. It sounds funkiest with low pure tones. ;)

hmmmm, still no triangle waveform (that a real pokey can produce)  :roll:

923773[/snapback]

Emulating Pokey to that degree will require a full analog simulation of the output resistor network on a cycle-by-cycle basis. It can be done, but... :)

-Bry

• 3 years later...

I tried this on my atari 800 type this in and have paddle (0) and (1) ready whell since there crimmped together finding a pair of paddles shoud be easy NOW I WISH I HADNT MADE THAT PLUG PLAY PADDLE 2 player cause there is 4 variables i could have had paddle(0) threw paddle(8)

oh yeah there is 8 possible paddles .

anyway I just did this OOPS ERROR- _ CAPS MUST BE ON DUH! :D

0 POKE 53768,96:POKE 53761,175

1 POKE 53768,175

2 POKE 53760,44:POKE 53764,45

10 POKE 53765,PADDLE(0)

20 POKE 53764,PADDLE(1)

22 POKE 53760,PADDLE(0):POKE 53764,PADDLE(0) HMM?

25 GOTO 10

22 POKE 53760,PADDLE(0):POKE 53764,PADDLE(1)

RUN

I COULDNT HELP TYPING RUN

TRY THAT ITS COOL PRETTY WEIRD NOISES USING PADDLE

PADDLES ONLY GOTO 228 SO 255 WONT BE A PROBLEM JUST DO A PADDLE(0)+25 TO BA SAFE

OR X GREATER THAN 254 THEN X=228:X=PADDLE(0)

GOTO 10

TRY IT I THOUGHT IT WAS TRIPPY .

PS wARLORDS IS ONE OF MY FAVROITE GAMES. I NOTICED IN PLUG PLAY VERSION BLUE OPPONENT IS HYPER ALSO THE ANGLE IS DRAWN LAMER THAN THE real ATARI THIS IS CAUSE i HEARD IT WAS SOME KIND OF NUMTENDO EMULATION RUNNING ATARI BINS THATS CAUSE ATARI HAS BETTER GRAPHICS ALWAYS .

oh i also noticed whell i heard it 1st the tv snags stereo signal from the interferance witch i thought was COOL :?: :twisted: :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :roll: :rolling:

pps.

the 1010 rubberbinder project worked exactly like i thought I was able to use a 12v ac aultpower pack from surplus store but as usual

the rubber binder worked but still no luck loading files save is easy but reloading them just wont seem to work.

I think it might just have to do w degaussing but dont care anymore I got STAR DP8340 TO WORK W MPP PARRALEL WITH

LIST "P"

HERE IS A FILE i TYPED HALF A SLEEP WITCH I WOULD HAVE NEVER REMEMBERED BUT SINCE I LIST "P" ED IT

10 GR.11

20 X=PADDLE(0)

30 IF X>70 THEN X=70

40 COLOR X+INT(0)*2+1

55 PLOT X,X:DR.0,X

60 SOUND 1,999+PADDLE(1),10,10

61 SOUND 1,998+PADDLE(0),10,10

90 GOTO 20

ALSO TRY THIS

END

SOUND 0,999,10,10

SOUND 1,998,10,10

SOUND 2,1001,10,10

SOUND 3,1000,10,10

THIS SHOULD MAKE SUPER RESONANT SOUNDS

SOUND 0,PADDLE(1)+772,10,10

EXAMPLES/

OH GR.9 IS B/W GR.11 IS COLOR GR.10 IS ARTIFACTLY LAME

Edited by awace

Ignore, just noticed the first post was years ago...

My poor old heart missed a beat when thought I saw a new one..

Carmel, could you email me the emulator (or anyone please), the link keeps saying its broken.

Cheers...

mclane@ATARIbulldoghome.com Remove the ATARI before you send, to avoid spambots.