IGNORED

Which 2600 Games DON'T work on a 7800?

JohnnyBlaze

I have them. IIRC they work fine. I will double check when I get home from work...

920740[/snapback]

Just wondering if you had a chance to test them. I have 4 different 7800s (though I'm not sure if there are any differenced between them). Pleaides game just shows the second stage IIRC and it doesn't play right and Funky fish only works if you are swimming to the right and bombs if you go to the left (or vice versa). If there are versions that work on the 7800 I would like to get some.

Does anyone know of any trouble with 2600 Ms Pac Man?

I'm literally sitting on a copy of that (gluing the case back together) that just will not work in my 7800.

Alcohol cleaning didn't work. Using the cart board only didn't work (I broke the case getting it apart)

Retouching every single solder joint didn't work.

Is 2600 Ms Pac Man incompatible or is my ROM chip dead?

The case bears no noticable damage from the outside. Since I used a small amount of glue, I can open it again and put a different board in it.

If the ROM is dead, I'll find a Ms Pac Man with a trashed label and buy it for a buck, then swap the boards and worry about the bad case and ROM later.

It's sad, too, I was looking forward to a game!

I got Desert Falcon and Touchdown Football, though, along with three other 2600 games.

I saw a label on an Activision Decathlon box that said "not for use in the Atari 7800" recently.

929381[/snapback]

There is one of those stickers on my copy of Robot Tank. It works fine on my 7800, which is a later model without the expansion port. Activision basically released a few thousand with those stickers to cover their ass after reports of the "middle release" 7800's being incompatible.

Does anyone know of any trouble with 2600 Ms Pac Man?

I'm literally sitting on a copy of that (gluing the case back together) that just will not work in my 7800.

Alcohol cleaning didn't work.  Using the cart board only didn't work (I broke the case getting it apart)

Retouching every single solder joint didn't work.

Is 2600 Ms Pac Man incompatible or is my ROM chip dead?

925147[/snapback]

I've played 2600 Ms. Pac-Man in my 7800 just fine.

BTW, why on earth would you want to play the 2600 version of Ms. Pac-Man in a 7800 when you could play the 7800 version instead? It's easy to find and incredibly cheap if you don't already have it, and is 100x better than the 2600 version.

Edited by jaybird3rd

The 2600 version was within easy reach when I purchased games that day.

I've seen some 7800 versions on ebay, but the last time I tried to reach from here to New Jersey, I strained my arm.

Seriously, I don't have the 7800 version. I haven't yet found it locally, which is where I get 80% of my games. In fact, I've only bought three times from someone out of state or on the net, once for my Supercharger, another time for its games, and once for the actual 7800.

I've got around 150 games locally for the 2600, 5200, and 7800 combined.

I also actively seek out 2600 versions of my 7800 games because they really compliment each other. 2600 Donkey Kong has better control while 7800 Donkey Kong has better graphics. 2600 Asteroids awards extra lives faster and has the shield. 7800 Asteroids is the best home port, but gives fewer lives and doesn't let you activate the shield at will.

I believe lots of the games ported to both systems are like this.

Probably one of the few I don't get both version for will be Ikari Warriors.

I did locate another Ms Pac Man, but I brain farted and didn't get it. It's a generation 1 cart like the first one I had (waaaay back when), my broken one is a generation 3 cart. I'd have probably played the 1st generation cart as it is now, and used the third generation one as a nice looking dust guard (in place of my only duplicate Pole Position II).

Can't you just cut the holesout a little further in the 7800 for Tigervision carts?  I might try that when I get my first ones.

920020[/snapback]

You can't cut the holes any deeper because it's actually hitting the screws holding the cart slot collar on.

Mitch

920340[/snapback]

Warlords and Adventure didn't work on mine. :(

Git a big ol' hammer and they fit on the first try.

Dragonfire fit easier than my other Imagic titles.  You may have an older 7800 that has a larger sleeve, too, or the sleeve might be cracked from someone else hammering Imagic titles into it.

929652[/snapback]

I must have the older one, because my 7800 has the hole for the expansion port but no actual expansion port, too... just a little viewing window in to the PCB :D (I wish it did have the port, but I digress)

I haven't come across a 2600 game yet that doesn't fit in the 7800. Maybe mine's weird. I know two of my three ProLines still have the protective plastic over the metal and the "warranty void if removed" tags on the bottoms... maybe the relative condition of the system has something to do with it?

• 6 years later...

Yeah yeah old ass thread. I needed someplace to post an issue that I haven't found anywhere though, so here'goes.

INTV (white label) version of He-Man MOTU worked fine on 4-sw Woody, but choked dead in my 7800. This is a crappy late-revision 7800 board with no expansion port. It fires up and plays the intro screen where Adam transforms into He-Man, but at the start screen it just freezes. Humph.

Yeah yeah old ass thread. I needed someplace to post an issue that I haven't found anywhere though, so here'goes.

INTV (white label) version of He-Man MOTU worked fine on 4-sw Woody, but choked dead in my 7800. This is a crappy late-revision 7800 board with no expansion port. It fires up and plays the intro screen where Adam transforms into He-Man, but at the start screen it just freezes. Humph.

This might be your problem:

"The right difficulty switch freezes the action. In position A, the game plays normally. In position B, the action freezes. Start the game in position A. This switch can be used to show a friend a particular screen or for a rest period."

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=288

• 7 months later...

I think Quelle carts don't fit the 7800, at least not into 1 of the 2 7800 I got here. Imagic carts seem to fit perfectly. I'll have to look into that matter further. Mind you, I have a PAL system, although I don't know how that should matter as the 7800s are mechanically identical no matter what TV norm?

• 4 years later...