IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

Mine is 38180G but right now it has color problems. After 5 minutes of play the colors go all psychadelic and settle either on back and white or on something really funky (Kaboom's green background went bright red last time). I can fix it by manually readjusting the color pot, but it always goes bad again after five minutes.

Ah, well, it's still a heavy 6'er and (hopefully) it's fixable.

• Like 1

Mine is 38180G but right now it has color problems.  After 5 minutes of play the colors go all psychadelic and settle either on back and white or on something really funky (Kaboom's green background went bright red last time).  I can fix it by manually readjusting the color pot, but it always goes bad again after five minutes.

Ah, well, it's still a heavy 6'er and (hopefully) it's fixable.

938073[/snapback]

If you think you can replace it, I can send you a color pot, got one pulled out right here. PM me.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

To use one of A.J.'s previous statements reworked for this thread:

"I take it your answers are assembled very slapdash with no fact checking whatsoever."

AFAIK, only heavy sixers had the slots open. By the time the case bottom was updated to "light" sixer style, the mold for the top had already been reworked to close the slots.

936820[/snapback]

No, there are light sixers with the speaker slots as well. They just normally don't have the posts inside. The light sixer runs are basicly all a mishmash of revisions, some with various sixer legacies. I actually have a light sixer that has one speaker hole and the nubs of two posts.

And in the other heavy sixer thread -

Would there possibly be a date of manufacture printed on the circuit board?

935828[/snapback]

Nope. Just a revision number. There may be date codes on the ICs, but those only get you to "built after ..." range, with no indication of how long after.

936056[/snapback]

Not true.

manufacture.jpg

Edited by wgungfu

Hah, I had forgotten all about that list at http://www.netmodem.com/claddagh/stellasboneyard.htm.  I must have submitted my serial number to him years ago, because I'm on that list. :)

S/N 28921H (heavy sixer)

Steve Engelhardt St. Louis, Missouri

943001[/snapback]

Yes, I'm actually working on an update of that for over at Atari HQ. Also putting that together for Pong systems, 5200 and 7800.

To use one of A.J.'s  previous statements reworked for this thread:

"I take it your answers are assembled very slapdash with no fact checking whatsoever."

AFAIK, only heavy sixers had the slots open. By the time the case bottom was updated to "light" sixer style, the mold for the top had already been reworked to close the slots.

936820[/snapback]

No, there are light sixers with the speaker slots as well. They just normally don't have the posts inside. The light sixer runs are basicly all a mishmash of revisions, some with various sixer legacies. I actually have a light sixer that has one speaker hole and the nubs of two posts.

943496[/snapback]

Thanks, I was already corrected on that point. I did make some effort to determine when the speaker slots were closed but couldn't find anything, so my statement was qualified with "AFAIK" based on consoles I had on hand at the time and those I've had previously that I could remember. I don't think I've had a light sixer with open slots come through here, but of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to how I could be more successful when attemting to fact-check such esoterica as this?

And in the other heavy sixer thread -
Would there possibly be a date of manufacture printed on the circuit board?

935828[/snapback]

Nope. Just a revision number. There may be date codes on the ICs, but those only get you to "built after ..." range, with no indication of how long after.

936056[/snapback]

Not true.

manufacture.jpg

943496[/snapback]

OK, this one is new to me and I stand corrected again. Which boards have that marking? I've had at least 5 heavy sixers and a couple of light sixers apart in the past few months and I don't remember seeing that on any of them.

I just picked this console up at Goodwill here in Dover, NH, near my office. 

Atari Heavy Sixer, serial number 0018052

I'm thinking with no suffix, maybe a pretty early one?

943987[/snapback]

That number has 7 characters instead of the usual 6, which is strange. Is it possible that you've added a digit by mistake?

944005[/snapback]

That's entirely possible, as I am rather slow and dull-witted. I'll check it out again tonight! I think I may have added that first zero

Just checked my circuit boards, no date on any of them only the Fuji and says "Innovative Leisure" or something like that.

944065[/snapback]

I have three with the dates, here's the serial number for two of them that I happen to already have pics of on my computer. (Just got married and everything is packed up right now).

sixerserial2.png

sixerserial.png

The first one is the one for the motherboard picture I already posted. Couple of wierd things about that one as well. It has a different style/method of the logo imprint on the case front, as well different printing revision/style for the switch lables. It also has the A/B channel select molding in the case bottom where the normal vents should be. Also, one of the posts inside is only 1/3 the normal height. What was also interesting to me is the date, which shows the heavy sixers were being manufactured in to '78.

I usually open up all my sixers when I get them, because I'm usually giving them a thorough cleaning as well as doccumenting any revisions/differences. I do the same with the sixer joysticks (of which there are several revisions of as well).

Great, could you possibly list the serial numbers with the corresponding lot #'s and dates on the motherboards for all three that you have? I hope that this may shed a little more light on what the suffixes correspond to. Like I said, I checked mine but none had the lot # and date like yours do. :sad:

Edited by Wester

Great, could you possibly list the serial numbers with the corresponding lot #'s and dates on the motherboards for all three that you have? I hope that this may shed a little more light on what the suffixes correspond to. Like I said, I checked mine but none had the lot # and date like yours do. :sad:

944208[/snapback]

As I said, everything is packed away as I find a storage facility for it. But I already gave that info for the one I posted. The 96501M was the one for the board I posted.

The only other stuff I have pics of on my computer right now is two difference sixer joystick revisions and the 1090 expansion box I have.

l3ushwig has one marked #94317M which would be interesting to see if he has it on his board (assuming he's willing to take the entire thing apart to look at the entire mainboard. That includes taking off the metal cover).

Sorry, I got all exited about the board stamp and forgot the rest of your stuff was in storage. Did you have to take the shielding off to see that stamp? The boards on mine have the Fuji in plain sight on the Reset/ Select side of the board if I remember correctly.