IGNORED

8k Atari Pac-Man

Nukey Shay

I live this hack, however, I noticed that on real hardware, in this case my 7800, the screen rolls on the title screen and during the intermissions. During Gameplay, there is no problem at all.

888300[/snapback]

Yep, I have the same issue

I live this hack, however, I noticed that on real hardware, in this case my 7800, the screen rolls on the title screen and during the intermissions. During Gameplay, there is no problem at all.

888300[/snapback]

Yep, I have the same issue

888537[/snapback]

He didn't get the right amount of scanlines yet, he isn't bothering with that though, at least not right now.

It works on mine though, but then again it auto sync's to play PAL games too... :)

• 1 month later...
Still need a side tunnel (imho).

923301[/snapback]

But that would go against the whole spirit of this hack :) This one is just to max out how the original 2600 Pacman could be.

Side tunnels are already in Nukey's other Pacman creation (w/ the faithful maze) and of course in Raindog's "A Better Pacman".

• 1 month later...

Finally got my CC2 and 7800 and this (as well as Hack'Em) was one of the first hacks I wanted to play. AWESOME! For realistic Pac action, don't approach the Atari version (hacked or not). But for a real head trip at "what could've been if Atari had devoted 8k to the top seller Pac-Man", this game is tops. Intermissions were a surprise, even if rolling (how do you pack it in there?!) and sounds are way improved. Keep trucking, Nukey!

(how do you pack it in there?!)

945385[/snapback]

I didn't. Doubling the rom size provided space to add in pretty much anything. And reusing ram locations needed by the display kernal keeps track of intermission variables. The problem is that I never found proper entry/exit points to the intermission kernal, and never bothered to correct the scanline count until I found them (which is why the display rolls).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I done it! It took me some time but I gone and re-made an old origanl 1982 Pac-Man label and re-drew for the new Pac-Man 8K call 'Pac-Man Arcade Edition' and I hand drew it 95% in GIMP and only use a mouse the 5% I used a Pacman text :cool:

Here's some of my images I use for the Pac-Man label I first drew Pac-Man in that same old pose from the origanl Pac-Man label then drew the Ghosts and even had to draw the maze it self and the two High Rez JPG images for the label print and a zip file with BMP of the same label, hope you guys and Nukey Shay like it :D

post-5587-1130486362_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1130486371_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1130486461_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1130486489_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1130486501_thumb.jpg

a26_pacman_arcade_edition_label_print.zip

Nice label, Lord Helmet. It reflects the styling of '82 and keeps with the spirit of "what if...?". Really, what if this had been Atari's Pac-Man? Could they have staved off the crash another year or so? Or were they not up to this programming standard at that time (8k and programming methods/tricks)?

Not a chance it would have "saved" the industry (or any game, for that matter). The home console market was oversaturated as the public was losing interest in them, making a crash inevitable.

And bankswitching was already in use at the time (Tod Frye supposedly lobbied -unsuccessfully- for an 8k version of the game to limit sprite flicker, ala Ms.PacMan).

Not a chance it would have "saved" the industry (or any game, for that matter).  The home console market was oversaturated as the public was losing interest in them, making a crash inevitable.

960798[/snapback]

I think Atari might have averted the crash if they'd made sure that every single released game of theres (well, since they started getting good) was at least halfway decent. If the public knew that buying a $10 off-brand game might be to but a piece of junk but that buying a $30 Atari game would be to buy quality, then the glut of garbage on the market wouldn't have hurt Atari too much (though it would have hurt fledgeling third-party producers of quality products). But when Atari released Pac Man, it sent a clear public message that it didn't care about the quality of the goods it sold. And it thus had a harder time demanding a premium price over the third-party junk in the market.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Nukey Shay for doing justice to the old pacman game for the Atari 2600, Pac Man was one out of two games that were the worst for Atari 2600, Et was the second, have you ever thought of tackling ET to make it better!!, and again thank you for helping me before on other game hacks I was working on!!

• 2 months later...

Nukey, I know you've been busy working on Hack'Em, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves what you've done with Atari's original Pac-Man. I still see 2 problems with the latest version, though...

When playing it through the Cuttle Cart, I'm getting a fast roll on the intermission screen like what was happening with the title screen before you fixed it. I don't know if it does this through the emulator because I can't get that far with these damn directional buttons (How do you guys play like this?). Also, the fruit looks very strange superimposed over the white wafer. Can anything be done to fix this?

Sorry to complain, but I'm loving this hack(homebrew) and I can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for giving Pac-Man the love he so richly deserves! :D

Everybody gets the fast roll (as far as I know)...because I never found a proper exit from that kernal. It should be just the same state as when entering the intermission, but for some reason I couldn't nail it. :P

And yeah...editing the "fill screen with dots" loop should eliminate the 2 offending wafers. The existing routine just fills the all of the dot ram locations with #FF's. Following that loop with lower values would do the trick (at a cost of only a few rom bytes). I'll add that to the next assembly I post.

Finishing it was another problem, since I sort of lack direction with this hack (given that Hack'Em already covered making a more faithful hack).

Everybody gets the fast roll (as far as I know)...because I never found a proper exit from that kernal. It should be just the same state as when entering the intermission, but for some reason I couldn't nail it. :P

And yeah...editing the "fill screen with dots" loop should eliminate the 2 offending wafers. The existing routine just fills the all of the dot ram locations with #FF's. Following that loop with lower values would do the trick (at a cost of only a few rom bytes). I'll add that to the next assembly I post.

Finishing it was another problem, since I sort of lack direction with this hack (given that Hack'Em already covered making a more faithful hack).

I see seven pages of very enthusiastic direction here. ;)

Come on Nukey, give us the Pac-Man that Atari should have made! :-D