IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

That is correct.

Curt

Are there any documents on the Basic, such as a command list or anything? It would be nice to try to convert some basic programs from other computers.

Allan

981483[/snapback]

I think I remember hearing that the 7800 Basic was a slightly modified version of the Atari 8bit computer Basic.

Mitch

981508[/snapback]

Would there be anyway to increase the RAM on the RAM carts? Just curious. It would be nice to have 64K or more.

Did you ever figure out what that third cart was from this picture or find anything else interesting in the stuff that the GCC guys gave you at the Vintage Computer Festival East?

Woops, forgot the picture.

Allan

post-187-1134515797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allan

I don't exactly understand what all you can do with this. Can someone explain?

981660[/snapback]

Start by looking at Curt's site under the 7800 section. There are also some documents on the keyboard in Curt's document section.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons.../7800/7800menu/

http://archives.atarimuseum.com/archives/archives.html

Allan

Hmmm...I have a 7800 without an expansion slot....so this computer add-on won't be able to work with my 7800? :? Also, where would I be able to obtain a 7800 with an expansion module? I'd assume it would be very expensive since they were only produced in 84.

And let's not forget that you will ALL need a 7800 *WITH* the expantion connector on it!

I'm personally VERY hyped about this, 2006 is the year of the 7800!!!

981673[/snapback]

And let's not forget that you will ALL need a 7800 *WITH* the expantion connector on it!

981673[/snapback]

Actually I don't believe that is true. IIRC the keyboard hooked up through the joystick ports. Correct me if I'm wrong Curt.

Tempest

Hmmm...I have a 7800 without an expansion slot....so this computer add-on won't be able to work with my 7800?  :?  Also, where would I be able to obtain a 7800 with an expansion module?  I'd assume it would be very expensive since they were only produced in 84. 

981673[/snapback]

981674[/snapback]

Not really!

There are TONS of them out there. I have four, 1 from ebay, and 3 found in the wild. They all have the expantion port.

You may be able to solder the connector on the MLB yourself, I'm not sure if Atari removed/changed any of the internals when they removed the port.

Suggestions, anyone???

I stand corrected, I just read on Curt's site that the KB pluggs into joystick port #2!!!

Opps.

so, WTF was the expantion port supposed to be used for anyway????

981685[/snapback]

Laserdisc player.

Allan

981687[/snapback]

Intresting.....

I have a Firefox laserdisc and a Pioneer LD player with RS-232 I/O

Now if I only had Curt's brain! :idea:

It will be cool to see how this turns out. Maybe this will spawn some sort of game/application software development package. It will be nice to be able to interface with the 7800 directly. Hopefully there will be plenty of documentation to refer to for learning how to program for this machine.

Edited by birdie3

I stand corrected, I just read on Curt's site that the KB pluggs into joystick port #2!!!

Opps.

so, WTF was the expantion port supposed to be used for anyway????

981685[/snapback]

Laserdisc player.

Allan

981687[/snapback]

Intresting.....

I have a Firefox laserdisc and a Pioneer LD player with RS-232 I/O

Now if I only had Curt's brain! :idea:

981691[/snapback]

Funny, I have some Firefox boards and no laserdisc or player. If you need them let me know, I have no use for them.

Tempest

I will probably get the Atarilab 7800 Temp and Light carts out first since those are straight rom carts not requiring the additional RAM like Basic and Videowriter.

981311[/snapback]

So, will they be compatible with the temp/light probes and interface from the 8B line?

1. I would like anyone who is interested in purchasing a computer module and carts to email me please:

981311[/snapback]

I might be interested. But I'm wondering if the keyboard and the programs would work with the PAL 7800. Or will special PAL versions of the programs be available?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

The Expansion connector was for a LaserDisc system, not the computer keyboard.

The keyboard plugs into joystick port #2.

Curt

981673[/snapback]

Hey guys! This looks really kewl! :-)

One quick question: Will this be able to work with a SIO2PC set up like the 8 bit computers?? If so, I am SO there!

Thanks, and keep up all the wonderful work! Its a great time to be an Atari fan! :-)

Hey guys!  This looks really kewl! :-)

One quick question:  Will this be able to work with a SIO2PC set up like the 8 bit computers??  If so, I am SO there!

Thanks, and keep up all the wonderful work!  Its a great time to be an Atari fan! :-)

982074[/snapback]

I don't think so. I think the APE software would have to be reprogrammed. I don't think this would be easy.

Allan

One quick question:  Will this be able to work with a SIO2PC set up like the 8 bit computers??  If so, I am SO there!

Thanks, and keep up all the wonderful work!  Its a great time to be an Atari fan! :-)

982074[/snapback]

I don't think so. I think the APE software would have to be reprogrammed. I don't think this would be easy.

Allan

982078[/snapback]

Hmm, why do you say that, from what I see it should work without any modification at all.

Mitch

982074[/snapback]

Allan

982078[/snapback]

Hmm, why do you say that, from what I see it should work without any modification at all.

Mitch

982199[/snapback]

Well I don't know for sure but it just seems to easy that it would work without any modification to the software at least. Maybe this is a better question for Classics. It would be great if it did.

Allan

It depends on the OS of the beast.

If it supports the same basic read/write/status commands of the Atari 8-bit computers SIO bus then it will work with APE, Atari810 and all the other SIO2PC type programs without modification.

Even if only the bus hardware is the same, the SIO2PC adapters will all still work, with some modifications to the software to support it.

Modifying/updating the various SIO2PC programs is easy. I would be more concerned with it being compatible with the hardware and having the correct connector on the console for using SIO cables and peripherals.