IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

Hi Allan,

Its a terminal program. Apparently a modem was made but I have yet to track one down yet, so I'll keep that one on the shelf until I locate the modem module.

Curt

Would there be anyway to increase the RAM on the RAM carts? Just curious. It would be nice to have 64K or more.

Did you ever figure out what that third cart was from this picture or find anything else interesting in the stuff that the GCC guys gave you at the Vintage Computer Festival East?

Woops, forgot the picture.

Allan

981661[/snapback]

Hey Curt,

So you don't think this would work (was written to be used) with a 1030 or similar modem?

Allan

Hi Allan,

Its a terminal program.    Apparently a modem was made but I have yet to track one down yet, so I'll keep that one on the shelf until I locate the modem module.

Curt

Would there be anyway to increase the RAM on the RAM carts? Just curious. It would be nice to have 64K or more.

Did you ever figure out what that third cart was from this picture or find anything else interesting in the stuff that the GCC guys gave you at the Vintage Computer Festival East?

Allan

981661[/snapback]

982409[/snapback]

Hi Allan,

Its a terminal program.    Apparently a modem was made but I have yet to track one down yet, so I'll keep that one on the shelf until I locate the modem module.

Curt

That's cool, I think the terminal program was the only one of the original 7800 keyboard programs that hadn't been confirmed to be found yet. :)

I hope you can find what modem it works with.

Mitch

Hi Allan,

Curt

That's cool, I think the terminal program was the only one of the original 7800 keyboard programs that hadn't been confirmed to be found yet. :)

Mitch

983536[/snapback]

Then we can send our Atari 7800 Basic programs back and forth to each other. Maybe even create the first 7800 BBS. :)

Allan

Hi Allan,

Curt

Mitch

983536[/snapback]

It would be weird if it needed a different modem other than a 1030. Why would they have wasted designing a new modem when they had the SIO connected 1030?

Allan

Hi Allan,

Curt

Mitch

983536[/snapback]

It would be weird if it needed a different modem other than a 1030. Why would they have wasted designing a new modem when they had the SIO connected 1030?

Allan

983542[/snapback]

Very good point!

Can a SIO handle a fater throughput that a 300Bps modem uses??

A modem is kinda low on the list right now (as far as I'm concerned!) I'm more excited by:

1. getting to master a new version of BASIC!!

2. See which ML calls are availible

3. possibly a RS-232 link of some type

4. Run homebrews from an ISO, burned onto a CD, hooked into the standard cassette interface!

5. Just something new to do on my 7800!

6. Proof everlasting that the Tramiels did NOT know what they were doing. I firmly believe the C-64 was the last good idea to ever be in his head!!

WHEW!

Put me down for one too please - you've got e-mail. :D

Actually I think the modem idea excites me a great deal. I know it probably won't be available at the start since it's not top priority, but if Curt ever does find the modem module and it turns out to be something off the shelf or easy to produce, the possibilities are both amusing and limitless. I want to see two 7800's do a handshake and then have a live streaming conversation over xx00 baud, and that's just for starters!

Actually I think the modem idea excites me a great deal.  I know it probably won't be available at the start since it's not top priority, but if Curt ever does find the modem module and it turns out to be something off the shelf or easy to produce, the possibilities are both amusing and limitless.  I want to see two 7800's do a handshake and then have a live streaming conversation over xx00 baud, and that's just for starters!

983772[/snapback]

Picture something like MIDI maze with two linked 7800 systems....

Actually I think the modem idea excites me a great deal.  I know it probably won't be available at the start since it's not top priority, but if Curt ever does find the modem module and it turns out to be something off the shelf or easy to produce, the possibilities are both amusing and limitless.  I want to see two 7800's do a handshake and then have a live streaming conversation over xx00 baud, and that's just for starters!

983772[/snapback]

983784[/snapback]

Or how about a Doom type game where you can hunt down the other player on the other console? Oh yeah!! I know the graphics wouldn't be the best but thats not the point.

Also so I take it the modem cart works now?

See, the carts are the other side of the coin in this, they are just ridiculously huge and overpopulated, so the idea is to consolidate them down with a 32x8 SRAM (maybe some surplus 62256's, 1 meg eprom (27010) and a GAL/PAL for the chip select logic and then a slide switch to select back/forth between VideoWriter and OSS 7800 Basic.

Basic schematic and PAL/GAL truth table are done for LO_RAM_CS, HI_RAM_CS, RAM_CS and EPROM_CS...

Once I've got the new KB design running all of the original carts correctly, I'll perfboard a proto of the new app cart and make sure it is working.

Curt

Allan

981661[/snapback]

983772[/snapback]

983784[/snapback]

Or how about a Doom type game where you can hunt down the other player on the other console? Oh yeah!! I know the graphics wouldn't be the best but thats not the point.

Also so I take it the modem cart works now?

983848[/snapback]

No answer from Curt yet but hopefully he's concentrating on getting the keyboard itself made. We'll have to wait and see if it does telecommunication cart needs a special modem or wether it can use a 1030XL modem. I don't think you're going to get much out of it though. I dought you'll be able to use anything other than a 300 baud modem so forget Doom or even a MidiMaze game. It just would be neat to communicate back and forth through a regular telepone line with the modems. Now that so many companies offer all-distance calling (aka. no long distance charges) it won't cost anything to connect directly with other 7800s. Personally I'd be estatic just to be able to write some programs in 7800 Basic and swap them with other people. It will be interesting to see what kind of programs we'll be able to write with this basic. It would be cool to convert an J.D. Casten game.

Allan

Can it sub/replace the keyboard controllers?

Does it happen to map to controller functions?

983970[/snapback]

From what I've read in the tech docs the answers are no and no.

Though I suppose you could write a new homebrew that took advantage of it in either of those ways.

Mitch

See, the carts are the other side of the coin in this, they are just ridiculously huge and overpopulated, so the idea is to consolidate them down with a 32x8 SRAM (maybe some  surplus 62256's, 1 meg eprom (27010) and a GAL/PAL for the chip select logic and then a slide switch to select back/forth between VideoWriter and OSS 7800 Basic.

Basic schematic and PAL/GAL  truth table are done for LO_RAM_CS, HI_RAM_CS, RAM_CS and EPROM_CS...

Once I've got the new KB design running all of the original carts correctly, I'll perfboard a proto of the new app cart and make sure it is working.

Curt

Allan

981661[/snapback]

983854[/snapback]

Hey, I missed this post. So any program that needs lots of RAM such as BASIC or a terminal program needs to have it on the cart? Interesting.

Allan

Its simple to make an in-line SRAM card to add more memory, if you needed it...

It would appear that you might've been able (if released) to buy memory carts to add more memory into your 7800 and then plug your app cart in, I am wondering if eventually Atari would have made some kind of multi-cartridge ports adapter on the top of the 7800 to have 2-3 carts inserted (you have to think - app cart, memory cart/module, and maybe a high score cart too, so...)

To answer the other question about replacing the keypad controllers... its interesting that it was brought up... I've been messing around with a pic mcu to interface with a standard keyboard to issue our the 4 color sequences of the Atari keyboard controllers for Basic Programming for the 2600...

What I'd REEEEEALLY like to do is work with some on a monitor cart of sorts or maybe a terminal cart to take standard ASCII data and then display on the 2600 screen from a simply z80 based computer system I've been tinkering around making... It would essentially be a computer add-on for the 2600, but there is already plenty of Compumates floating around.

Curt

See, the carts are the other side of the coin in this, they are just ridiculously huge and overpopulated, so the idea is to consolidate them down with a 32x8 SRAM (maybe some  surplus 62256's, 1 meg eprom (27010) and a GAL/PAL for the chip select logic and then a slide switch to select back/forth between VideoWriter and OSS 7800 Basic.

Basic schematic and PAL/GAL  truth table are done for LO_RAM_CS, HI_RAM_CS, RAM_CS and EPROM_CS...

Curt

Allan

981661[/snapback]

983854[/snapback]

Hey, I missed this post. So any program that needs lots of RAM such as BASIC or a terminal program needs to have it on the cart? Interesting.

Allan

984194[/snapback]

Its simple to make an in-line SRAM card to add more memory, if you needed it...

It would appear that you might've been able (if released) to buy memory carts to add more memory into your 7800 and then plug your app cart in, I am wondering if eventually Atari would have made some kind of multi-cartridge ports adapter on the top of the 7800 to have 2-3 carts inserted (you have to think - app cart, memory cart/module, and maybe a high score cart too, so...)

To answer the other question about replacing the keypad controllers... its interesting that it was brought up...  I've been messing around with a pic mcu to interface with a standard keyboard to issue our the 4 color sequences of the Atari keyboard controllers for Basic Programming for the 2600...

What I'd REEEEEALLY like to do is work with some on a monitor cart of sorts or maybe a terminal cart to take standard ASCII data and then display on the 2600 screen from a simply z80 based computer system I've been tinkering around making... It would essentially be a computer add-on for the 2600, but there is already plenty of Compumates floating around.

Curt

Curt

Allan

981661[/snapback]

983854[/snapback]

Allan

984194[/snapback]

984240[/snapback]

Yea, I always thought the cart on another cart thing was awkward. Some kind of sub-base unit on top of the main unit would have made more sense. What would have been cool is to make the 7800 modual like some of those prelimanary XL designs. Then you could have plugged in the High-Score-cart, memery carts, program carts, etc. All at once. Maybe even a toggle switch to move from cart to cart.

Allan

Edited by Allan

That's not a bad idea. The whole modular aspect of the early Regan Cheng XL designs would have really played well with a modular 7800 system, beyond just a keyboard add-on. Sort of reminds me what Nintendo was planning in 1985 for the Nintendo AVS System. Check it out -

avs1.jpg

avs6.jpg

avs5.jpg

Very good point!

Can a SIO handle a fater throughput that a 300Bps modem uses??

A modem is kinda low on the list right now (as far as I'm concerned!) I'm more excited by:

1. getting to master a new version of BASIC!!

2. See which ML calls are availible

3. possibly a RS-232 link of some type

4. Run homebrews from an ISO, burned onto a CD, hooked into the standard cassette interface!

5. Just something new to do on my 7800!

6. Proof everlasting that the Tramiels did NOT know what they were doing. I firmly believe the C-64 was the last good idea to ever be in his head!!

WHEW!

983763[/snapback]

The SIO port han handle up to 19,200, so yeah - a much faster modem could be used. Using APE + SIO2PC on my 130XE computer, I telnet at speeds ranging from 2400 to 9600Bps.

Stephen Anderson

Can it sub/replace the keyboard controllers?

Does it happen to map to controller functions?

983970[/snapback]

Just curious why you asked this. Did you have something particular in mind?

Allan

984152[/snapback]

Not really.....

Just curious, that's all! Besides some original button driven games (asteroids, space invaders, etc...) play better on a KB than a pad/stick

I hope Curt builds these to original spec, as I have a spare 600XL keyboard (NOS) laying around that would be preferable to KB controllers!!