IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

The latest version of the UAV (Ultimate Atari Video) board is finally ready for production. I am currently working on a run to ship in mid-late January.

This board is compatible with the 2600, 5200, 7800, and all Atari 8-bits. Most of the information in the previous thread is still relevant, but I'll be incorporating the important stuff into this thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/

Differences from Rev C:

1. The adjustable delay circuit is improved and allows a ~40-45ns shift in the relative Chroma/Luma phase. The pictures below show the composite output when the UAV is set to the XE's Red/Blue and the 800XL's Purple/Green. As before, the two artifact colors can be swapped with a jumper. See this post for more info on machine specific colors.

2. All inputs now have current limiting resistors. This reduced noise slightly and makes the board a bit more goof-proof.

3. The jumper positions are different from Rev C and there's now a plug-in setting for the 2600.

4. The NCS2553 video amp is now a NCS2563. The new amp is intended for high-def purposes and doesn't have the 8MHz NTSC filter. All filtering is now done on the board and it looks a bit better. IMO the composite output now approaches the look of S-Video on a good monitor.

5. There is a spare pad on the board for attaching the TIA input on the 7800 (Tcol).

The pricing is slightly higher than Rev C since I'm paying for partial assembly and a couple of the new parts are a little more than the ones I previously used.

As before, I will offer this board in 3 configurations:
1. Plug-In - A Plug-In unit for the CD4050 socket ($25 + shipping)
2. Basic - A basic version that must be wired in (missing the pin-headers and green terminal strip) ($22 + shipping)
3. Kit -A basic version with the components to make it a plug-in version for custom installations. ($25 + shipping)

If you want to get on the pre-order list, please send me a PM.

Use this post to decide which boards to order. If you have a 2600 with a CD4050 chip, you can now use the Plug-In board (the Rev C Plug-In board lacked jumper settings for the 2600).

I'll be adding more info to these first couple posts over the coming days/weeks.

post-3606-0-24750300-1482546820_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-82611800-1482546827_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-12738200-1482546838_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Picture 1: The Rev. D jumper configurations. Note: the 800, 7800, and some 2600's require the Basic board (or Kit).

Picture 2: Board height dimensions (inches).

Helpful posts from the Rev C thread:

7800 (remember that Rev D has a dedicated TIA color input)
1200XL
600XL
800XL
65/130XE
1088XEL
General (Ignore all references to Rev C jumper settings)

post-3606-0-54203400-1483035683_thumb.png

post-3606-0-62655100-1483061495_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Does rev. D help with vertical lines on 5200 install?

I don't have a 5200 at the moment to test it on, but I'll be testing it when I get back to the US (I've shipped everything and I'm down to the bare minimum). I believe the noise comes from bus activity affecting the supply for the GTIA delay line. The reason is that the lines aren't visible in the Luminance image until color is connected meaning they're caused by timing errors in the color signal. My plan is to design a filter mod for GTIA's delay pin.

On the other hand, both Rev C and D eliminated vertical lines on my 130XE which looked like this before:

post-38669-0-56934100-1394249683_thumb.j

The Order List

Member          P       B       K
----------------------------------
arcadeshopper   4       0       0
grips03         0       0       1
Michael7800     1       1       0
gozar           3       0       0
Brentarian      2       0       2
kheller2        2       0       2
Xuel            1       0       0
Eyvind B        1       0       0
rdea6           2       0       0
SenorRossie     1       1       1
Timothy Kline   4       0       0
takron27        1       1       0
orpheuswaking   4       0       0
tuf             2       1       0
DjayBee         0       0       1
Blues76         0       0       2
chevymad        2       0       0
olix            1       0       1
mytekcontrols   0       0       4
mulcmu          1       1       0
tecci06         0       0       4
Smokeless Joe   2       0       0
BikerBob        6       0       4
GlowingGhoul    5       0       5
DrVenkman       1       0       0
Sugarland       2       0       1
sargie          1       0       0
JoSch           5       0       0
tf_hh           1       0       0
Frankie         3       0       0
xrbrevin        1       0       0
Ransom          3       2       0
RevEng          0       1       0

Just let me know if you want to make any changes.

I would like one

No problem. Just send me a PM with the type of board you want (from the choices in the first post). This picture shows the difference between the Plug-In board and the Basic board (on the far right).

The Plug-In board has pins to go into the CD4050 socket, jumper configuration pins on top (because different machines assign the pins of the CD4050 differently), and it has a screw-terminal block for attaching the video wires. It is designed to make installation as easy as possible, but it doesn't fit all machines, and it doesn't fit under the factory shielding in all cases.

The Basic board eliminates the pins, jumpers, and terminal block. You simply solder the connections to the board and place it somewhere convenient in the case.

The Kit is a Basic board with the parts included to make it a Plug-In board. This way, you can customize it to work in your application. For example, installing the socket pins but leaving the terminal block off and hard-wiring the jumpers may make it fit in machines where the shield is too low for a Plug-In board.

post-3606-0-74040000-1452239096.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Bryan

Does this mean the CD4050 is replaced by your board?

And it works with PAL, SECAM and NTSC?

Sincerely

Mathy

It works with NTSC and PAL. I can't test it on a SECAM system, but I think the video hardware is different. Do you have a SECAM system?

It is usually used in place of the CD4050, but it can be installed on top of it if you wish to leave the factory video alone.

Perhaps a dumb question... but does this board also provides AUDIO for let's say Atari 400 or Atari 2600/7800?

And is it still possible to order? I got the impression that you were sold out...

Audio isn't part of the upgrade, so it must be picked off the board using one of the existing methods. Once I'm back in the US and can get a 7800 I can post about methods I've tested.

Yes, I'm taking reservations for the new Rev D boards which will ship next month. These have a pad on the board specifically for integrating color from the 7800's TIA (Tcol).

EDIT:

After looking at the 7800 schematic, I might eventually make an audio buffer board that works on both the 400 and the 7800 since both systems need to mix audio from two sources.

• Like 1

This Red/Blue and Purple/Green difference is visible on standard computers too or only could be set via UAV? Or is it because NTSC? Or anything else?

Those are the NTSC artifact colors caused by putting 01010101 patterns on the screen which makes a 3.58MHz waveform, the same frequency as the NTSC color carrier. So, it requires NTSC and Composite video. With S-Video, you get this:

post-3606-0-98563400-1454641273_thumb.jp

...because the monitor knows the waveform is on the Luma channel and therefore does not represent color. This post shows how different NTSC machines generate different colors because of the phase relationship between the Chroma and Luma outputs. Atari made no attempt to keep the colors consistent. UAV allows you to change the phase relationship so you can have output that matches most machines.

Here's my test app shown in the pictures. It displays 01 and 10 dot patterns at different luminances and then the opposite patterns with inverted colors.

uav.xex

• Like 4

Hi Bryan, I'd like two PlugIns and also one kit please. That's three in total. This will be for an 800XL, a 1200XL and a 65XE (none have any mods yet). If you think the PlugIns are fine for all three models then feel free to change my order to three PlugIns. I'm very interested to buy more later but this will hopefully be enough for now. Thank you very much!

Hi Bryan, I'd like two PlugIns and also one kit please. That's three in total. This will be for an 800XL, a 1200XL and a 65XE (none have any mods yet). If you think the PlugIns are fine for all three models then feel free to change my order to three PlugIns. I'm very interested to buy more later but this will hopefully be enough for now. Thank you very much!

All of those machines can take a Plug-In board if you don't care about the shield. Only some versions of the 800XL have room for the full Plug-In board under the shield. Soon I'm going do some experiments with zero-profile sockets and see what's possible.

Without the config jumpers and terminal block, it's quite a bit shorter.

More info:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3389169

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3416907

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3417503

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3431714

On the 800XL, there are 2 types of shield. The Plug-In board easily fits under the high shield.

post-3606-0-56838300-1454503590_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...