Photo

"Tempest 2000" Emulator that isn't Project Tempest - Yak Approved!

6 replies to this topic

#1 JFD62780 OFFLINE  

JFD62780

Space Invader

• 38 posts
  • Born 8 years TO THE DAY after Atari was founded!

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 PM

Hi, JFD here! Forgive me for not posting in at least a couple years' time, but I just discovered something: The perfect emulator for Tempest 2000! I did it while surfing Llamasoft's official Website! The weird thing is its official page is, of all places, a YakYak topic! Being that it's on YakYak, even Jeff "Yak" Minter plays it from time to time! :cool:

The emulator is specially coded by Dio of the YakYak forums, to run T2K smoother than ever, locking the framerate at a solid 60 frames a second! :-o It even perfectly draws the smooth goraud shading of the Tempest 2000 web in its millions of shades! The only flaw I see is that it still plays the in-between level warp sound effect an octave too low in pitch. It's still a great emulator however! According to the "official homepage", the emulator also supports the Virtual Light Machine. It isn't quite recommended to try most other Jag games; the author only mainly focused on T2K, saying any other games might not quite be top priority...

Let me know what you at Atari Age think! :D

PS: If this belongs in the Emulators section, please forgive me for posting it here... I thought it that good, for even the creator of T2K to be playing it...

Edited by JFD62780, Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:04 AM.

#2 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 6,578 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:01 AM

I've seen that before. It DOES a good job with T2K - so if you're ever travelling with your laptop and want to play T2K, it does the trick.

The only problem is that it doesn't run much else. It can half-arse run D2K's 2000 mode, and not much else.

#3 Broonale OFFLINE  

Broonale

Moonsweeper

• 443 posts

Posted Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:21 AM

It does AvP alpha just for the heck of it.

#4 TwiliteZoner OFFLINE  

TwiliteZoner

Dragonstomper

• 683 posts

Posted Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 AM

Hi, JFD here! Forgive me for not posting in at least a couple years' time, but I just discovered something: The perfect emulator for Tempest 2000! I did it while surfing Llamasoft's official Website! The weird thing is its official page is, of all places, a YakYak topic! Being that it's on YakYak, even Jeff "Yak" Minter plays it from time to time! :cool:

The emulator is specially coded by Dio of the YakYak forums, to run T2K smoother than ever, locking the framerate at a solid 60 frames a second! :-o It even perfectly draws the smooth goraud shading of the Tempest 2000 web in its millions of shades! The only flaw I see is that it still plays the in-between level warp sound effect an octave too low in pitch. It's still a great emulator however! According to the "official homepage", the emulator also supports the Virtual Light Machine. It isn't quite recommended to try most other Jag games; the author only mainly focused on T2K, saying any other games might not quite be top priority...

Let me know what you at Atari Age think! :D

PS: If this belongs in the Emulators section, please forgive me for posting it here... I thought it that good, for even the creator of T2K to be playing it...

I missed this one. Thanks for the link.

#5 Pocket OFFLINE  

Pocket

Dragonstomper

• 945 posts

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:21 AM

It's great to see that even the Yak is playing it :)

#6 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,815 posts

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:41 AM

It even perfectly draws the smooth goraud shading of the Tempest 2000 web in its millions of shades!

Thousands, not millions. AFAIK Tempest 2000 runs in 16-bit CrY mode.

#7 JFD62780 OFFLINE  

JFD62780

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • Born 8 years TO THE DAY after Atari was founded!

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:45 PM

Thousands, not millions. AFAIK Tempest 2000 runs in 16-bit CrY mode.

Dangit... I rented the thing with an RF adapter the day of my confirmation (May 20, 1994), so the thing was distorted enough for me to consider it smooth. Anyway, the emulator itself might actually be running in full 32bpp mode, because I see perfect colorblending, unlike Project Tempest, where the shades depicted there are all too obvious! O.o

Edited by JFD62780, Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:45 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users