IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 38: Mr. Postman

Ze_ro

Important Note - This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Your mission is to protect the Mr. Postman sending a secret letter safely to Silent City. Make sure to do a good happy job or all will be done!

Game Information

• Game Name: Mr. Postman
  • Released By: Unknown!
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Rom Hunter

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, January 25th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 83,150 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 80,290 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 60,250 (Nathan Strum) [+9]
  4. 44,290 (vdub_bobby) [+8]
  5. 44,280 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 44,140 (Shroo-man) [+6]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted.

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 16,920 (David B Yancey)
  2. 16,470 (Robert Macauley) (Emulator)
  3. 12,140 (Pete Rocha)

Current Standings

1. Coming Soon!

Scoring Points in Mr. Postman

• I'm too lazy to type it out, since it's already the end of the week. click here for scoring.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy online for your viewing pleasure (if you can understand a word of it).
Level 1: Walk to the right, avoiding the falling flickers. When you reach the right side of the screen (tree trunk?), climb up, avoiding the yellow bullets. When you reach the top, press the trigger to jump onto the vine. Once on the vine, press the trigger again to fall onto the bird. Fly around if you like while you wait for the next stage...

Level 2: Shoot the birds and the falling dashes. Don't get hit by the dashes or the diagonal, slow laser beams. This level has 3 parts, each part has more birds and more dashes.

Level 3: Get to the house without touching anything else.

Rinse, repeat at a harder difficulty.

In the first level, start climbing only when the bird is all the way to the left. Pause and let the shots sail just over your head, then as the bird goes back to your left again, keep climbing. Once you get past a certain height (where the vine is), the bird can't hit you. Also, you don't have to drop right on top of the bird to ride it, you only have to collide with it. There are only a few patterns that the eagle moves and fires in. Learn those, and you can always get by him. You don't have to jump on the vine to get to the eagle. You can jump directly from the tree and land on him (although it's harder to do, but there it is anyway).

In the second level, stay in the middle of the screen, and just move up and down to dodge the lightning(?) bolts. When each attack starts, move closer to the top (so you fire faster), hold down the fire button, and take out the birds before too many "hails" start falling. The "hails" will eventually fall down the center of the screen, so don't bother chasing after them. dodge lightning bolts by crossing under them (moving downwards and in the opposite direction). You fly too slow to dodge them by going in the same direction they're moving.

A tip for the last stage aka operation dont touch the sides level. it can be done fairly quickly, first of all tho you need to be using a controller with some sort of d-pad a joystick will just annoy you because you will keep hitting the edges. i use a mega drive/genesis controller. what you do is quickly move your postman-bear on top of the left wing sitting exactly on it no space, then hold the right directional button until he's right against the barrier at the top of the v-notch (his left ear looks like it will hit the barrier but dont worry just go). then move down until your sitting on that little bump coming off the floor the hold the right button again all the way across to the other end of the v-notch right against the barrier. now just go up and continue to the end, the rest is easy to do without touching the edge. In the second screen, you don't lose points as time elapses. So kill off all the "hails" and just sit near the top center of the screen if you want to take a break. The birds just fly back and forth, and the lightning can't hit you.
On the 2nd screen, stay toward the bottom of the screen and shoot down the hails first. Ignore the birds at the top of the screen. Once you clear out the hails, you can go right up to the top and hold the button down until you kill off the birds. Since they're no threat, you can save them for last.

--Ze_ro

Ugh. This has the potential to be a good, cute game. Too bad it went so terribly, terribly wrong.

Level 1: Walk to the right, avoiding the falling flickers. When you reach the right side of the screen (tree trunk?), climb up, avoiding the yellow bullets. When you reach the top, press the trigger to jump onto the vine. Once on the vine, press the trigger again to fall onto the bird. Fly around if you like while you wait for the next stage...

Level 2: Shoot the birds and the falling dashes. Don't get hit by the dashes or the diagonal, slow laser beams. This level has 3 parts, each part has more birds and more dashes.

Level 3: Get to the house without touching anything else.

Rinse, repeat at a harder difficulty.

This is one of those brilliant :roll: games where you can lose points.

It's almost fun but the bad collision (between your bullets and other stuff on the shooting levels) and flicker (the falling flickers on the first level) kinda ruin it. Plus all the graphics glitches can drive you bonkers.

Anyway, enough snarking: 9,790

post-6060-1169156591_thumb.png

Ugh. This has the potential to be a good, cute game. Too bad it went so terribly, terribly wrong.
You don't know what you're talking about, Bob.

It's great.

It's one of the very few multigenre games for the VCS.

Try playing it with the famous Beatles song.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I'm confused. The box clearly shows Mr. Postman to be an eagle, but the box also says to keep away from the eagle, and in the game, Mr. Postman looks more like a Teddy Bear, but then he seems able to fly in the second and third levels. Clearly... Teddy Bears cannot fly.

This game is just too deeply philosophical for me. It's getting into the very questions of life... who we are, who we wish to be, how others perceive us, what are our goals, and who on earth paid £9.99 for this turkey so there could be a box scan in the AA database? :roll:

I do love the instructions though:

Your mission is to protect the Mr. Postman

sending a secret letter safely to Silent

City. To press the button is to make Mr.

Postman should keep away from hails and the

eagle, or you press the button to shoot

down them. Mr. Postman can not touch the

wall as he is walking onthe street, other-

wise all will be gone.

Scoring

Any lose and mistake: deduct 10 from the

basic scores 2000.

One game, one player.

For great victory - launch every Zig!!

I don't think I'm going to have the patience to score very high on this one.

Well... maybe I can get a couple of points for tips. :roll:

In the first level, start climbing only when the bird is all the way to the left. Pause and let the shots sail just over your head, then as the bird goes back to your left again, keep climbing. Once you get past a certain height (where the vine is), the bird can't hit you. Also, you don't have to drop right on top of the bird to ride it, you only have to collide with it.

In the second level, stay in the middle of the screen, and just move up and down to dodge the lightning(?) bolts. When each attack starts, move closer to the top (so you fire faster), hold down the fire button, and take out the birds before too many "hails" start falling. The "hails" will eventually fall down the center of the screen, so don't bother chasing after them.

Incidentally, AtariAge does have a manual for it here. It reads even better than the box. :D

post-2641-1169176460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Strum

If you go to www.atarimania.com and look for Mr. Postman you can find some alternate box/cart scans which have flying Teddy Bears on the front, which certainly makes more sense. http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...9323&MENU=2

And RH, I agree that this game is cool and has potential, but graphics glitches and collision issues drive me nuts. And losing points is a big no-no in my book. And the third stage where you just work your way around a butterfly is just lame. I do think the sound is cool, though. :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

sweet my first entry. and what a coincidence I just picked up a Bit Corp 4in1 multicart had it for only a few days and i've really been enjoying this game a lot, mr postman is definately the best game on the cartridge and already one of my favourites.

my high score so far ... 44140

gallery_11056_158_58045.jpg

a tip for the last stage aka operation dont touch the sides level. it can be done fairly quickly, first of all tho you need to be using a controller with some sort of d-pad a joystick will just annoy you because you will keep hitting the edges. i use a mega drive/genesis controller. what you do is quickly move your postman-bear on top of the left wing sitting exactly on it no space, then hold the right directional button until he's right against the barrier at the top of the v-notch (his left ear looks like it will hit the barrier but dont worry just go). then move down until your sitting on that little bump coming off the floor the hold the right button again all the way across to the other end of the v-notch right against the barrier. now just go up and continue to the end, the rest is easy to do without touching the edge.

Edited by Shroo-man

26,470. Ok, so I was wrong when I said that you could play forever. That's looking harder and harder to do.

Here's my tip: On the 2nd screen, stay toward the bottom of the screen and shoot down the hails first. Ignore the birds at the top of the screen. Once you clear out the hails, you can go right up to the top and hold the button down until you kill off the birds. Since they're no threat, you can save them for last.

post-9712-1169317386_thumb.png

Here's my tip: On the 2nd screen, stay toward the bottom of the screen and shoot down the hails first. Ignore the birds at the top of the screen. Once you clear out the hails, you can go right up to the top and hold the button down until you kill off the birds. Since they're no threat, you can save them for last.

Yep. That works better than taking the birds out first. You can still pretty much stay near the center of the screen and just move back and forth a little.

Another tip for the second screen: dodge lightning bolts by crossing under them (moving downwards and in the opposite direction). You fly too slow to dodge them by going in the same direction they're moving.