IGNORED

Best looking classic computers?

deadmeow

If we're ignoring functionality and just going on looks, I like the sci-fi gigantor look of something like this. I don't know what kind of machine it is but it sure is cool looking.

Oooohhh... why didn't I think of this earlier?

Does the Cray-1 count? It's the right age...

Of course, that pic's not the colors I would've chosen(as I understand it you could specify color in your order...).

post-3658-1169764824_thumb.jpg

Edited by JB

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Those things always looked like something out of Star Trek. :D

I understand it you could specify color in your order.

Wouldn't surprise me. From what I understand, each Cray was hand-built for the customer, much like how high-end sports cars are hand-built to order.

The Atari 800XL and Commodore 64 computers are both attractive little devices.

Actually, I like the 600XL more than the 800. I don't like that little bit that sticks out.

I do enjoy the original Mac, but once that shape started to change, so does my appreciation for it.

Edited by Atari-Jess

The Atari 600xl and 1200 xl were both really cool looking IMO also the Apple IIc, and the Amiga 600. I've always liked the color of Atari Falcon too.

I would say the the Atari 400, Commodore 64, and TRS-80 model 3/4, plus the original silver coco are some of the ugliest machines but then again they all have that retro goodness to them.

I rather like how my IIgs looks. I like how the computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse all look like they're designed to look just right with eachother... right down to the back part of the (original stock).

I've always rather liked the whole Apple II line in general... I kinda find myself wishing I'd get lucky and find a Bell & howell Apple II... A black Apple II... pretty spiffy

other than that... The original Mac is cute... I have a 512Ke, a Plus, and an SE....

I also like the original C64 case design and the overal look of the 1702 monitor.

I don't know why, but I love the look of the Commodore 64 (second version) And the 128 is almost identicle exept it's bigger in the back. That grill was just cool looking IMO.

I did think the TRS-80, all in one computer was cool.

And we had a mini in the late 70's early 80's. I think I got a pic somewhere around here, I'll put it up if I find it.

Well I am quite the synthesizer/computer-based music production freak so here are some of my vintage combo computer/musical instrument choices-

Fairlight CMI Series III-post-1636-1169949064_thumb.jpg

Synclavier 9600 Series- post-1636-1169949113_thumb.jpg

PPG WaveTerminal-B (Just looks inspiring, don't it? :ponder: )post-1636-1169949177_thumb.jpg

Here are a few favorites of mine, listed in no particular order:

• The Mindset computer (here is a picture from www.old-computers.com)
  • The Atari 800, 1450XLD, and 130XE
  • The Apple ][c and Apple ][GS
  • The DEC Multia, particularly the Alpha-based models (although it might be a stretch to call these "classics").

The best looking computers:

Atari 520ST and MegaST were definitely at the top of my list. When they were placed in TV shows as part of the Tramiel's meager product placement ad campaign, you can easily distinguish it from other computers. Just look for the parallelogram function keys and ventilation slots! :D I remember seeing other things being influenced by those parallelogram theme. The one that sticks out is on Wheel of Fortune. Just look at the late 80s shows, and you'll see the parallelogram name tags. Cool :cool: It was just SO different and cool looking from any other computer or electronic device out there at the time. :cool: :cool: :cool:

The Atari MegaSTe and TT030 case designs were just a little lower than the MegaST case. It was again, different from anything out there with it distinguished hard drive bay to the right. However, it was a bit on the big side, but still looked cool. :cool:

The Atari XE and 1040ST were ok, but they looked a bit bulky. At least they spruced it up a bit with the Falcon by have dark grey keys.

The Atari 600/800XL were good too. The 1200XL was too bulky again.

Commodore did a fair job in their case design. The only Amigas that looked good were the 600, 1200 and 3000. I don't know what happened to the other models, but they just looked like the standard boring beige computer cases. The C64C was nice, but all the other 8-bits were ugly, especially the original C64, VIC-20. Bleah! :( I think they were too thick. Compare them to the 800XL and C64C which was lower and thinner. i don't know...something just didn't look right. :|

The worst looking machines were the Apples and IBMs (and clones). Apple IIs and IBM/Clones were boring, ugly and bulky. The case design was an afterthought. Although they tried to improve this with the IIC and IIGS, it wasn't enough (in my opinion) and they still looked like every other computer at the time.

The monitor and CPU in one design of the Mac was (and still is) a dumb idea. It was different, but looked ugly and was hard (and dangerous) to service, hack, and upgrade. One wrong touch on the monitor tube will give you a shock of your life (if you survive). In fact, I never considered a Mac until the Mac Mini came out. I was a frustrated Windows user who wanted to jump ship, but didn't want to spend $2000 on a PowerMac (ugly silver vented case too) or a hard to service, hack, and upgrade iMac. It took Apple long enough time to get their heads together and see the market for the Mac Mini.

The Atari/Commodore CPU and keyboard in one box design was much better than the Mac monitor and CPU in one box design.

If we're ignoring functionality and just going on looks, I like the sci-fi gigantor look of something like this. I don't know what kind of machine it is but it sure is cool looking.
Its name is right there in the image! "Control Data Cyber 70"

You're right, I didn't notice that! Must have been the mini-skirt distracting me.

Atari 400 and 800 top my list.

The Commodore Pets and 64's often appeared in Sci-fi movies.

Those B-series commodores were pretty cool. I never saw one in the wild though. Were they vaporware? One of 'em looks like an old IBM selectric typewriter (Old, Huh! I remember when selectric's were the shizit!)

Of course, that pic's not the colors I would've chosen(as I understand it you could specify color in your order...).

Actually it looks like those comptuer terminals that were hanging down from the ceiling in the Death Star in RotJ. I always thought those looked so cool (and easy to vacuum under).

Tempest