IGNORED

s*** or get off the pot; what to do w/ old grotty 2600 carts

So I spent a few hours going through about a milk crate's worth of 2600 games, making sure they all worked (sometimes w/ a swab of alcohol.)

There might be a few I'd like to keep, Warlords, Gyruss, Battlezone, and maybe some head to head games, but really, I don't think I can justify keeping this collection around. I'm on a decluttering kick, emulation is decent for most of these, and I just can't justify keeping it strictly for nostalgia.

(As I'm sure everyone knows, I've never been much of a collector; more of a game player who doesn't like to get rid of old stuff.)

Any thoughts? I guess I can assemble a list, see which ones I have instructions for. Unfortunately the collection is stricken by actiplague and other issues, and I think *most* of the real gems have been stripped out.

I can haul the crate to the meet I guess, but I know crappy 2600 games are kind of a buyer's market. I'd be willing to swap for, I dunno, a few decent 2600 sticks (esp epyx 500xjs ;-) )

I also have a smaller bunch of 7800 games I haven't been able to test out, I'm not sure where the video wire for my 7800 is.

• 4 weeks later...

The way to avoid that is to do it more than once!

More realistically, yes, that happens. The way to avoid that in this case is to buy driver bits insead of screwdrivers. It's worth the $1.50 for a bit to save yourself 90 minutes of doing it the hard way and damaging the item you're trying to fix. It's not like a screwdriver bit is an oscilloscope.

Both problems are easy fixes, BTW.
Yeah, if I had the right type of screwdriver. I tried opening my paddles and FUBAR'ed big time.
It's usually a given to buy the right tool before you do something.
Much less adventurous that way.

Plus, you end up with a closet full of "used it just once" tools.

OK, how many people actually have a #2 Phillips screwdriver that they've used just once then stashed it in a closet and never needed one again?

Frankly I'm astounded that anyone would actually not already have one or have an idea where to find one, and somehow manage to damage the screw or the controller when trying to open a paddle controller without one. I probably have a dozen #2 Phillips screwdrivers in the house, garage, cars, garden shed, etc., as well as several straight blade screwdrivers that would fit adequately in a pinch. If I didn't, there are always neighbors, the local auto parts stores, hardware stores, heck even a grocery store would probably have a "home tool kit" with one in it.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

OK, how many people actually have a #2 Phillips screwdriver that they've used just once then stashed it in a closet and never needed one again?

Frankly I'm astounded that anyone would actually not already have one or have an idea where to find one, and somehow manage to damage the screw or the controller when trying to open a paddle controller without one. I probably have a dozen #2 Phillips screwdrivers in the house, garage, cars, garden shed, etc., as well as several straight blade screwdrivers that would fit adequately in a pinch. If I didn't, there are always neighbors, the local auto parts stores, hardware stores, heck even a grocery store would probably have a "home tool kit" with one in it.

LOL, for once I actually agree with you, I probably have close to 50 phillips screwdrivers. :lol:

These on the other hand, I don't use all the time (well, maybe the Torx bits)... :ponder:

Security.jpg