IGNORED

Sony started production on the smaller Cell.

CPUWIZ

:lol: :rolling: :lol:

I guess there's not much to do with the lack of PS3 titles at the moment. :P

Matters little to me, I play all 3 of them. :P

Oh wait, I am not supposed to reveal that I own every Nintendo console, except the NES and actually pay for the games I play on them. :ponder: Nevermind that, down with Nintendo and their radically stupid breed of fanboys! :x

My ORIGINAL STATEMENT was..

Sony said themselves to not expect a price drop for another 2-3 years.

YOUR REPLY to it was..

What was that again?

Pretty vague but I can only assume it was referring too two key points (since you did not SPECIFY). Price drop, and 2-3 years.

My next statement which was not even a direct reply to it was the "pick your poision" comment and that "2008" was still a long way aways.

Your reply was

Not really. According to the one article you linked to, it starts in two months.

I was still sticking to my ORIGINAL PREMISE which was that no price cuts to the consumer are coming anytime soon. Which is what I presumed is the point you were arguing TO BEGIN with.

Did you change your mind about the price drop? Or were you arguing about a date that no one cares about? Nobody argued when, where, or how sony was gonna "break even". We were disputing a price drop to the consumers.

Yes I do read your posts, as well as the ones that proceed them. It's something called CONTEXT. Something that was apparently overlooked by you. Sounds like there was a mix-up in WHAT we were arguing about. But considering your original vague reply I can see how that could occur.

My original post linked to an article that shows that Sony is thinking about price cuts before the 2 -3 year time period that you mentioned. As a matter of fact the article that you linked to said the same thing about a possible early price cut. I then commented on the fact that for Sony 2008 begins in two months. Nothing vague about either one of my posts. Yes, I do believe that there will be price cuts before 2 - 3 years, IMO by Christmas 2007. But nowhere did I say that price cuts would start in two months.

The article you linked to stated that Sony was looking to break even in it's game business, not on the PS3 itself. It doesn't matter if Sony loses $300 on each PS3 sold, as long as they can make $300 profit on games, accessories, license fees, downloads, etc. for each console sold. That would be breaking even on the games business.

So looking at it this way, lower price on console, still lose money on console, but create higher sales and sellng more items that Sony does make money on, hoping to break even in the games business. The fact that they can build PS3's cheaper means that they can sell them cheaper without losing more money on each unit than they do now.

This is why large companies diversify. So they can afford to lose money on new products and still have cash flow due to the other products they sell.

ok your article mentions a price cut to increase sales. Not sure why I missed the first paragraph. :doh: Guess I thought it was a summary like most articles do with more details in the later paragraph.

One of my articles (the IGN one) says towards the end to not expect price cuts.

The company expects to stop taking losses on PS3 hardware in the next term, Sony CFO (chief financial officer) Nobuyuki Oneda announced at the financial briefing. One means of doing this will be through smaller chip sizes. The company has already started manufacturing CELL chips using a 65 nanometer process, Japan's IT Media reports.

Even with a turn in fortunes on Sony's hardware losses, don't expect a price drop any time soon. Oneda said that Sony is not consdering a price drop right now, although something could be possible in 2 or 3 years.

The 2nd one refers to price cuts. No mention of smaller cell, though.

We may look at the [PS3's] price as part of our strategy to expand the market when the timing is right," senior VP Takao Yuhara told the Associated Press.

However, Sony's price-cutting plans remain vague. No actual reduction timeline has been announced, as the company aims to break even in its games business during fiscal 2008, which begins in April.

Hence my "Pick yer poison" statement. On one hand they are saying yes, then in another it's like. Well, uh, not likely. :lol:

So initially I missed the 1st paragraph of yer link. But I think my "pick yer poison" comment probably was misconstrued.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding. :)

Edited by Shannon

ok your article mentions a price cut to increase sales. Not sure why I missed the first paragraph. :doh: Guess I thought it was a summary like most articles do with more details in the later paragraph.

One of my articles (the IGN one) says towards the end to not expect price cuts.

The company expects to stop taking losses on PS3 hardware in the next term, Sony CFO (chief financial officer) Nobuyuki Oneda announced at the financial briefing. One means of doing this will be through smaller chip sizes. The company has already started manufacturing CELL chips using a 65 nanometer process, Japan's IT Media reports.

Even with a turn in fortunes on Sony's hardware losses, don't expect a price drop any time soon. Oneda said that Sony is not consdering a price drop right now, although something could be possible in 2 or 3 years.

The 2nd one refers to price cuts. No mention of smaller cell, though.

We may look at the [PS3's] price as part of our strategy to expand the market when the timing is right," senior VP Takao Yuhara told the Associated Press.

However, Sony's price-cutting plans remain vague. No actual reduction timeline has been announced, as the company aims to break even in its games business during fiscal 2008, which begins in April.

Hence my "Pick yer poison" statement. On one hand they are saying yes, then in another it's like. Well, uh, not likely. :lol:

So initially I missed the 1st paragraph of yer link. But I think my "pick yer poison" comment probably was misconstrued.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding. :)

No problem. Hell this wasn't that big a fight, I've posted at Gamefaqs (yes, I don't know why either :roll:)! Looking back with a clear mind (forums do tend to muck up emotions :rolling: ), I probably should have only left the part about 2008 in the post I replied to. Leaving the whole post in there does make my intent ambiguous.

Is it just me or is the atari age forum's search function kinda slow lately?

Yeah I had an incindent the other day that may have made me a little more cranky and a little less attentive than usual. My suv decided it was attracted to concrete dividers on the highway driving home during an ice/snow storm. Seems some damage has been done to the tire/rim, slight bumper damage.