IGNORED

Value of a Stacy 2

I met a guy tonight that has a working Stacey 2 and some accessories he wants to sell. I have no idea what these are worth or what a decent offer would be. The screen is dim, but apparently that's a common issue with them. Not sure of the ram or HD size, but I'd expect it was whatever was shipped with the computer originally.

Are there any resources for pricing this thing?

Thanks,

98PaceCar

$50 to $400 depending on condition and screen dimming. :P

I've never actually seen one of them before, so I don't know if the guy has some holy grail peripheral or piece of software. Is there anything in particular I should look for on these? I was tempted to just make a $50 offer and see what happens. Just not sure if that's appropriate or not.

Tj sez it all in his post.

Nonworking STacy on eBay ought to fetch $50.

Working but cosmetic damage and dim screen ought to fetch $100

Working but dim screen, no damage, but missing covers, $200

Working with good screen, but missing covers $300

Working and cosmeticly perfect, maybe an upgrade or two $400

You can tell Tj and I track these a lot...

There were a ton of STacys (STacii? STacies?) up on eBay over the past few months, lowing the overall ending prices. You can go a year between seeing one in the wild, then suddenly see 4 at once from different sellers.

Tj sez it all in his post.

Nonworking STacy on eBay ought to fetch $50.

Working but cosmetic damage and dim screen ought to fetch $100

Working but dim screen, no damage, but missing covers, $200

Working with good screen, but missing covers $300

Working and cosmeticly perfect, maybe an upgrade or two $400

You can tell Tj and I track these a lot...

There were a ton of STacys (STacii? STacies?) up on eBay over the past few months, lowing the overall ending prices. You can go a year between seeing one in the wild, then suddenly see 4 at once from different sellers.

Prior to this thread the most informative I had seen was from Tj!

So I gather that these are as rare as I've heard. I'm a Commodore guy myself, but this may be a nice addition to my collection. Is there any major reason to spend the money on a Stacy rather than a regular ST? Is this pretty much the pinnacle machine for the ST line?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm really out of my league here but I wanted to try to figure it out in case this is something I end up wanting to buy for myself.

STacy is a cool machine! I wish Commodore had made an Amiga portable... Its funny, the Amiga magazine .Info used to always slam Atari for bad hardware, saying they would pay money to anyone who could show them an actuall portable ST up and running software.

STacy has a few issues you should be aware of:

- The screen backlight is normally dead or dying, you can replace the screen (MyAtari.com) but without this it's not super pleasant to use.

- The screen is monochrome so of course the STacy only runs monochrome mode software. It does of course have a monitor port on the back so you can plug in a SC1224 and get color output.

- Most STacy portables have no battery power and the battery bay is just an empty hole inside the unit. I've read on the web this is becuse battery power was just un-workable given the power-hungry parts inside.

- The STacy is large and has an external PSU. When you think about it, it takes up more space than a 1040STfm, since the 1040 has the PSU internally. Especially true if you need to use a color monitor.

Is this pretty much the pinnacle machine for the ST line?

I guess it is if you want a monochrome "luggable" ST. (Although, I'd rather have an ST Book myself.) Hardware-wise, I think it's the same as an 1040 STf computer. You won't be able to play 90% of ST games since they're mostly in color mode. I don't think it even has a BLiTTER chip like the STe line does.

Edited by Gregory DG

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm probably going to pass unless the seller comes back with a really cheap price (a possibility, he sold me a Commodore SX-64 and box of misc C= stuff for $30). I mainly use my classic computers for gaming so the screen was a concern for me.

I can tell the seller about the forums here though so maybe another Atari enthusiast can get the machine. I don't think he wants to go the ebay route with it.

STacy is a cool machine! I wish Commodore had made an Amiga portable... Its funny, the Amiga magazine .Info used to always slam Atari for bad hardware, saying they would pay money to anyone who could show them an actuall portable ST up and running software.

I agree! The Amiga 600 is close to portable, but not really since you need a monitor still. Plus with the compatibility issues it had with the older games, it's not really all that good. Course now, you can get a GP2x and run the Amiga emulator on it to have a handheld Amiga!

STacy has a few issues you should be aware of:

- The screen backlight is normally dead or dying, you can replace the screen (MyAtari.com) but without this it's not super pleasant to use.

- The screen is monochrome so of course the STacy only runs monochrome mode software. It does of course have a monitor port on the back so you can plug in a SC1224 and get color output.

- Most STacy portables have no battery power and the battery bay is just an empty hole inside the unit. I've read on the web this is becuse battery power was just un-workable given the power-hungry parts inside.

- The STacy is large and has an external PSU. When you think about it, it takes up more space than a 1040STfm, since the 1040 has the PSU internally. Especially true if you need to use a color monitor.

Hmm, couple of questions...

I wonder how hard it would be to put an internal P/S in the STacy, since you

can get compact units now.

Also, like Ben's famous Atari XE laptop, I wonder if it would be possible to

put a color LCD in the STacy, replacing the current monochrome one? The

signals are already there, because of the external monitor port, right?

Thanks.

• 9 years later...

STacy's seem to go for much more today, around $300 for non-working/non-tested ones:

From March 26th:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262339201348?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From today, a STacy 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272193671002?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I put up 4 bids and bailed at $290, what's sad is I drive through Santa Cruz on my commute, I could of saved on shipping and come out ahead. I was a bit skepticle because no shots of it running. Darklord says a lot of Stacy monitors these days are really dim, but you can hook up an external monitor to it, so if it's functioning, I think a Stacy 2 would be an awesome addition to a collection.

• Like 1

I put up 4 bids and bailed at $290, what's sad is I drive through Santa Cruz on my commute, I could of saved on shipping and come out ahead. I was a bit skepticle because no shots of it running. Darklord says a lot of Stacy monitors these days are really dim, but you can hook up an external monitor to it, so if it's functioning, I think a Stacy 2 would be an awesome addition to a collection.

I was the winning bidder. On the STacy from March 26th, I put in a Maximum big of $320. It went for $325, and the reserve was not met. On this one (STacy 2), I won and it ended at $312. Ironic, because this one appears to be better.

I do know it's a huge gamble, and I will need a power supply, but it's a risk I was willing to take. I'l keep you posted.

I was the winning bidder. On the STacy from March 26th, I put in a Maximum big of $320. It went for $325, and the reserve was not met. On this one (STacy 2), I won and it ended at $312. Ironic, because this one appears to be better.

I do know it's a huge gamble, and I will need a power supply, but it's a risk I was willing to take. I'l keep you posted.

It was a good bid I think, I'm glad I lost to a member and it's going to a good home.

I got so bitter I bought a 1040STe (4M) with a SF314 and SM124 for just under $400. Never had a STe, looking forward to messing around with it. Gonna take it to the Atari Davis Party at the end of July.

• Like 1

Don't feel too bad guys. The first STacy I got, I paid $400.00 for, and it came to me

in a box, *disassembled* and with a dead hard drive. Even so, I was grateful to the

seller just for giving me the opportunity to have one, period.

PS BTW, that is the one in the video that I modified so much. :)

It was a good bid I think, I'm glad I lost to a member and it's going to a good home.

I got so bitter I bought a 1040STe (4M) with a SF314 and SM124 for just under $400. Never had a STe, looking forward to messing around with it. Gonna take it to the Atari Davis Party at the end of July.

Thank you, I promise you that it will go to a good Atarian home, next to brothers like its 1040STE, Mega ST4, Portfolio, 2600, 5200, 7800, XEGS, Jaguar, and Lynx. :)

Did you also bid on the regular STacy from March 26th, or just this one? Anyway, you got your own heck of a deal on that bundle. You're better off starting with an STE anyway over a STacy. Good luck!

Edited by Zap!

Link is now dead...

It's a STacy 2 with 4 meg ram and a 20 meg HDD. It worked for 10 seconds before the LCD Screen went black. Turning the Power Switch off then on after 30 seconds just made the LED's flash. Took it all apart and found the Internal DC to DC converter to be bad -> didn't have any negative voltage output.

Hooked up the HDD and plugged in the ST Mono monitor and it booted up and was able to play with it for a few hours. A few days went by and decided to try a floppy boot, but there was no life signs of it working. Found a blown trace to the FDC, so I removed it and soldered in a good socket and used a known good FDC, tried booting the floppy, but it wouldn't boot up again. Looks to have an intermittent connection some where...

• Like 1