IGNORED

Crash Bandicoot still the mascot?

ManShowBoy

Sony doesn't own Crash (do they?) so how can he be considered their mascot?

I don't think Sony cares one way or the other. Just so long as they have games with a mascot-type character in it. Like Spyro, Jax, Crash, etc. No one character can take the spotlight from their "superior" technology. That's the real mascot! :D

Crash has had games on the GBA, Xbox and Gamecube as well as the PS2. Mario, Sonic and in the past Crash were all characters that didn't use guns, weren't overly violent or mature rated so they had a broad appeal. There aren't any SCEA characters that fit the bill anymore.

Crash Bandicoot is owned by Universal Studios, aka Vivendi-Universal, aka Sierra Online. Geez, I can't even keep up with all these mergers and corporate brand shuffling!

Anyway, you could call any one of a number of characters the Playstation mascot back in 1997. Crash, Spyro, Blast-O, that big-breasted tomb explorer... take your pick. However, over the past decade, the market's gotten broader, and hardcore gamers have gotten older, so cute fuzzy animals and chubby plumbers are no longer essential to the success of a console.

JR

I would say that Master Chief isn't their mascot, but that Halo is arguably Microsoft's flagship franchise for the Xbox that people immediately connect with their console. Sony doesn't really have a mascot. I'd say that maybe Grand Theft Auto or Gran Turismo would be the titles that really go hand and hand with the Playstation brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony did embrace Crash as an unofficial mascot back in the PS1 days, but that was a long time ago. I don't even think Nintendo cares about Mario being their mascot as much as the once did or they would make sure each new system launch with a Mario game. That hasn't happened since N64.