IGNORED

So why no more new FB2's ?

I was just on Amazon and saw the FB2 available from about 12 different sources. Some were new, some were used. All of them had their prices so obscenely jacked up it was a sad sight to behold. When I think back to the twenty some odd dollars I spent for me beloved FB2 and then go online and see them being sold for 50 or 60 dollars, to me is just disheartening.

I know Atari's been working on the FB2 and God willing the FB3 sometime in the near future, but why isn't Atari producing and distributing anymore FB2's? There's a demand for them out there, and people are being forced to pay outrageously jacked up prices from second hand dealers. It seems kind of insulting to me.

It seems kind of insulting to me.

It seems kind of stupid to me! :?

For crying out loud, the FB2 is one of the few projects released by Atari lately that actually made money instead of bleeding red ink. Why they don't run off more is a mystery to me...

Atari != Infogrames, two seperate companies. FB2 was manufactured and paid for by Atari Inc.

Atari is either completely owned or majority owned by Infogrames. What affects one will affect the other.

More than that, what is now called Atari is the American division of Infogrames. The French headquarters still calls itself Infogrames, but, as much as Nintendo of America is Nintendo, Atari is Infogrames.

Atari != Infogrames, two seperate companies. FB2 was manufactured and paid for by Atari Inc.

Atari is either completely owned or majority owned by Infogrames. What affects one will affect the other.

More than that, what is now called Atari is the American division of Infogrames. The French headquarters still calls itself Infogrames, but, as much as Nintendo of America is Nintendo, Atari is Infogrames.

Actually again, no. What is now called Atari Inc. *was* the American division of Infogrames, which was then split off as a seperately incorporated and managed company. Infogrames calls itself Infogrames because as a corporate entity it is still seperate, plain and simple. Infogrames is majority owner of Atari Inc., but the situation is not much different than when Warner owned Atari Inc. Nobody made the mistake of calling Atari Inc. by "Warner" or "Warner-tari" back then, even though Warner's financials were of course strongly tied to the company as well. There are two *seperate* Atari companies that are seperately incorporated but financially tied to Infogrames Ent. (as in they kick up money, not rely on IE for money) - Atari Inc. and Atari Interactive.

Edited by wgungfu

Well, if you want to get technical -

Atari, Inc was actually GT Interactive that was bought by Infogrames and then changed its name to Atari, Inc.

The rights and ownership of the classic Atari IP assets is actually owned by a seperate company called Atari Interactive, Inc.

Infogrames is the Majority owner of Atari, Inc but operates as a separate company - hence why its stock was taken off of the French Stock exchange and Atari, Inc's stock continued on the Nasdaq and went into a 10 for 1 stock reversal.

Infogrames does however have the controlling stake in Atari, Inc and therefor directs what the company does and doesn't do.

The Flasback and the Flashback 2 made some very good profits overall, how those profits were shared or split amongst the entities is something only they know, however the bottom line is the products have made Atari significant 7 figure profits, something other products (Getting Up, Matrix, Driv3r) did not do and actually cost the company('s) money.

Lets hope smarter minds prevail and not only does a portable iteration of the Flashback 2 line make its debut, but that also the Flashback 2 makes a return in both NTSC and PAL versions and who knows - maybe with some nice enhancements to them. This of course could potentially set the stage for Atari to move into a more evolved and far more capable platform.

This of course all boils down to that small, yet big word - "IF"

Curt

• Like 1

Well, if you want to get technical -

Atari, Inc was actually GT Interactive that was bought by Infogrames and then changed its name to Atari, Inc.

The rights and ownership of the classic Atari IP assets is actually owned by a seperate company called Atari Interactive, Inc.

Infogrames is the Majority owner of Atari, Inc but operates as a separate company - hence why its stock was taken off of the French Stock exchange and Atari, Inc's stock continued on the Nasdaq and went into a 10 for 1 stock reversal.

Infogrames does however have the controlling stake in Atari, Inc and therefor directs what the company does and doesn't do.

The Flasback and the Flashback 2 made some very good profits overall, how those profits were shared or split amongst the entities is something only they know, however the bottom line is the products have made Atari significant 7 figure profits, something other products (Getting Up, Matrix, Driv3r) did not do and actually cost the company('s) money.

Lets hope smarter minds prevail and not only does a portable iteration of the Flashback 2 line make its debut, but that also the Flashback 2 makes a return in both NTSC and PAL versions and who knows - maybe with some nice enhancements to them. This of course could potentially set the stage for Atari to move into a more evolved and far more capable platform.

This of course all boils down to that small, yet big word - "IF"

Curt

When you say nice enhancements to the Flashback 2, do you mean making it have a cartridge port built in possibly this time around. If so pretty cool :D :cool:

I'd given up on a PAL version of Flashback 2 and bought a brand new Atari 2600 jr from France. Doh!

I like the idea of a "more evolved and far more capable platform" though. This Atari 'retro' thing seems to have spent a lot of time with the 2600 without paying much attention to some of Atari's other stars.

When you say nice enhancements to the Flashback 2, do you mean making it have a cartridge port built in possibly this time around. If so pretty cool :D :cool:
I'd definitely buy one of those! :)

He could mean the ability to upload ROMs with a UBS cable or a version with even more games preloaded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i don't know if anyone is still looking for these I did post in the selling area, but I have a guy whos has aabout a pallet of these that were bound for an outlet type store ( no boxes only internal packaging ) and another who I get boxed ones from if anyone has any interest. If there is any email me .

Thanks Tony ( igg1na )