IGNORED

Storage of Jaguar Carts

Atari Smeghead

You've all probably noticed just how thoughtless Atari was, in regards to the labeling systems of game carts for just about every system, from the 8 bit on up.

Y'know what I mean? Take the 8 bit carts, for instance. Since they all "Had" to have ":roll: I was kinda stupid(er) when I was young. But at the time, I figured that I would NEVER sell ANY of my Jag games.

Then, I went to using the mailing labels that came out of the boxes, writing on those, cutting them to size, and sticking them on the cart.

It only looked marginally better than the scotch tape, as you can imagine.

Now, I have been using one of those old fashioned labeling "guns," the type that spits out the black tape with white printing.

The biggest problem is that none of these options will really stick well to the smooth, curved plastic tops. At least with the labeling gun thing, they can be removed without leaving any trace. But still, there are some games that I won't label, such as Battlesphere or Protector SE.

So, I was just wondering what you fellow Jaguar owners do? I don't like the idea of leaving them in their original boxes, since the boxes can get damaged with all the opening and closing. (Yeah, I know. I'll put sticky stuff on a cart, but I don't want to bend a box...) :D

So, how do you deal with the storage situation?

I had masking tape on the top curved end of my Jaguar carts at one time. It's not such a stupid idea, all it takes is a cloth and a little bit of rubbing alcohol to make it as good as new. As long as you don't touch the labels or get anything on them, other than avoiding scratches, there's not much you could do to permanently ruin the plastic case. You could even use an acrylic paint or nail polish, as long as you used care and the proper removing agent. But I actually don't have anything on my carts now, I cleaned them up and picked up a couple of "VideoMatic" storage drawers up at Toys 'R' Us. They generally keep them in the game isle, on the bottom shelf around where accessories are displayed. They were really made for the N64 or other consoles, but the Jaguar carts do fit, if snug. There is a shorter version of the drawer where the 6 front slots, 3 per row, have taller dividers and look like slots for N64 memory cards; because of their curved back, Jaguar carts will not fit properly in these slots. But I also have a taller version, which has removable cart holders to reveal cd holders underneath, so you could have one side filled with cd's or controllers and the other side with carts. Jaguar cartridges fit better in this type. I basically just keep my carts in alphabetical order and generally can pull the right cart within a couple attempts. My boxes are kept on a book shelf and regularly dusted with a fine feather duster. Eventually I want to get the boxes loosely shrink-wrapped again for better storage. On later boxes, the ones that still came with shrink wrapping that is, I merely slit the top side to open the box and left the shrink wrap on them. I wish I had done this with all my carts, but if the shrink wrap is initially too tight, this isn't a good idea as over the years it may crush the box. this hasn't happened to me personally, but when purchasing older Atari games for the older systems, I've noticed this... :ponder:

Jaguar games are about the size of a cassette tape, except for the grip on the top, and the bulge on the back. If you find a tape case that doesn't have full divisions on it, you can the carts (bulge and all) into them, and just leave the lid off (assuming it has a lid). This doesn't help the "no label on the top" problem, but they're usually loose enough that you can flip through them fairly easily.

--Zero

You fellas mentioned a couple of good ideas. I hadn't thought about the cassette holder idea, but I did figure that if I ever ran across an 8 track tape holder at a flea market or thrift store, that baby'd be mine! :D

Really, the idea of putting the games in alphabetical order in whatever storage container makes perfect sense. Every other system I own, I put them in order. I think the reason I never bothered with it for the Jag games was the fact that I currently use two storage boxes, and the one on top has the games I play frequently.

Hell, I think I just like creating my own solutions to my gaming needs. I should snap a shot of the one storage box... It is adorned with screen shots from gaming magazines, and a bumper sticker. It's cheezy, but hey, it's my cheese! 8)

Thanks for the replies!

T-bird, how do you (personally) go about dumping carts? I considered it a while back and thought I could use a large copy loop and a BJL cable but I never felt the need to put it into practice :D

You could use a chip extender (dip40 -> ribbon cable -> dip40) and an EPROM burner I guess :) That how you do it?

Stone

T-bird, how do you (personally) go about dumping carts? I considered it a while back and thought I could use a large copy loop and a BJL cable but I never felt the need to put it into practice :D

You could use a chip extender (dip40 -> ribbon cable -> dip40) and an EPROM burner I guess :) That how you do it?

Stone

I don't know. I've never needed to dump anything.

I found wood boxs made for ??? tapes??? at The Container Store at $4.99 each, which are perfect for Jag carts width-wise, no cover. I had a Woodshop inprint the Jaguar logo on front for another $5, looks nice and holds 11 carts.

Did you post a photo of that somewhere? I could have sworn I've seen that done somewhere.

I wonder if someone else already did this. Did you get the idea from someone else, or did you discover it on your own? I could swear I've read of this before.

No, this was my idea that originated inside The Container Store as I was looking for a way to transport my carts to PhillyClassic3. I don't have a Pic, but I'd be glad to send you one as a small token of appreciation for bringing BattleSphere to life!

I wonder if someone else already did this. Did you get the idea from someone else, or did you discover it on your own? I could swear I've read of this before.

No, this was my idea that originated inside The Container Store as I was looking for a way to transport my carts to PhillyClassic3. I don't have a Pic, but I'd be glad to send you one as a small token of appreciation for bringing BattleSphere to life!

You've done plenty already!

• 4 weeks later...
I actually have a few of those, as the local classic games dealer likes to put all of their Jag cartridges in these. I'll try to find out from them where to buy them.

That would be great. I have many Jaguar games and I would love to put them in a safe container that has easy access.

Are they specifically designed to hold Jag games, or do they hond any videogame cart in general? Thanks.

As I remember seeing them around before the Jag ever came out, I think they were designed with multiple cartridge sizes in mind. I'll try to take a picture of one of the cases so you guys can get an idea of how well they work.

Ok, here's a couple of pictures of the case with the game and manual enclosed.

caseopen.jpg

This case was designed to hold both a Sega Genesis and SNES cart, but the Jag cart fits in fairly well. It's not quite snug in the ridges, but fits in nicely nonetheless.

caseclosed.jpg

The manual fits in the case along with the cartridge almost perfectly.

I'll try to see if I can find anywhere to get them, but for now I'd suggest checking with video stores to see if they have any excess cases.