IGNORED

Images of soldering 13-pin DINs

No fair, my workbench is nowhere near THAT neat! (and I have been known to bite my nails) :D

So, basically just soldering to the side of the pin and shrinking it down... Hmmm, Pretty much what I do, though I think I should switch to a smaller gauge wire (I run out of room to work- used some cat 5 cable for the last adapter I made). I'm just afraid smaller wire won't hold up long term.

Time for me to get a bigger magnifying glass

I hate when I forget to do the middle pins first...

Why, oh WHY couldn't they have made these with solder cup pins????? :x

Very nice!! I recently built a ST to VGA HiRes adapter and soldering on the 13pin din is a pain!!! Plus... something about a female soldering up something Atari....Grrrrrrr baby!!!

Careful... techie red head with a soldering iron, could be painful when angered :)

Edited by poobah

Yeah - seriously !!! Who has a workbench THAT clean! ;-)

Real men have messy workbenched, we just fish around in the piles of components for things we need and use whatever is on hand (even when it doesn't fit) ;-)

Nice work, and yes 13 pin dins are an ugly cruel punishment to solder, you were VERY smart to add the heat shrink insulation, many people don't and that shortcut will come back to haunt you later on.

Curt

No fair, my workbench is nowhere near THAT neat! (and I have been known to bite my nails) :D

So, basically just soldering to the side of the pin and shrinking it down... Hmmm, Pretty much what I do, though I think I should switch to a smaller gauge wire (I run out of room to work- used some cat 5 cable for the last adapter I made). I'm just afraid smaller wire won't hold up long term.

Time for me to get a bigger magnifying glass

I hate when I forget to do the middle pins first...

Why, oh WHY couldn't they have made these with solder cup pins????? :x

Very nice!! I recently built a ST to VGA HiRes adapter and soldering on the 13pin din is a pain!!! Plus... something about a female soldering up something Atari....Grrrrrrr baby!!!

Careful... techie red head with a soldering iron, could be painful when angered :)

Workbench? What workbench!

Both my desks are covered with computer junk. So this means that when I want to solder something, I have to lie down on the floor, sitting on the carpet, with a piece of paper on top of the floortiles (at the edge of the carpet), crouching down and holding down the item I want to solder using a pair of pliers which my foot is holding :P

P.S. I think I will see that very cable up close because I think it's the one Aly made for me ;). Cheers girl :)

Hey All :)

Thanks for the comments. It keeps me going.

My workbench, clean!! That's just for the camera! Well, ok, it's not always like that. You should see the room when everything is out of the crates. :-)

Hey ggn :-) Yep, same cable.

My view of making cables is that if people are throwing money at their ST setups (which they do) then it may as well be done properly. The heatshrink is there for two reasons; Strength, and protection if a wire comes off. That 12v line (pin 8) could potentially kill an ST/TV.

I'm going to be putting some of these up on eBay as No-Expense-Spared cables. They're about as good as they can be. I'm just a perfectionist really!! :-)

Aly

ps. VGA cable instructions are on my site; www.logicsays.com/entry under Atari.

Hey! It bumps yours to the top :)

Ah, WeST. I want one. I just can't get the motivation. This Scart/VGA thing will spark it off if there's interest in it like there was when PeST was launched.

Over the last few days with moving this and that, a WeST would be so handy. It's almost finished. It communicates on both sides, that's the hardest bit and tested, it's just getting it to say the right things which needs to be finished. I kind of have a reputation for doing that, ...enthusiastically starting a project and doing the difficult impossible bits, then losing interest.

WeST, if ever I finish it, is imagined to be about 2inches square!! And that's it! SD card socket on the back. 2.1mm power connecter. I was even having silly ideas of putting a rechargable battery on it so it could run standalone. It draws about 150mA, mainly due to the high MIPS of the MCU. And given that most 4.5v board batteries are something like 400mA I'm wondering if the size could be justified. The whole board would be encased in heatshrink like PeST, and a battery would really mess that up. Could just have a 9v radio battery hanging out if someone wants portable.

I want it to be about 2inches square. And I haven't even had a professional prototype PCB made yet, which would be much larger. Once it's all finalised, it then goes SMD. The same happened with PeST. That was originally full size, then went SMD last year.

*rambles*

Edited by techie_alison

That's because they're all out having babies and cleaning up n stuff. You know, farting about, wasting time. :) I mean Damn, if my car breaks down I can repair it. I get the hammer out and hit something. Usually the starter motor solenoid, or the alternator brushes. :cool:

My Webpage

post-6921-1173745173_thumb.jpg

Edited by techie_alison
  • Like 1

That's because they're all out having babies and cleaning up n stuff. You know, farting about, wasting time. :) I mean Damn, if my car breaks down I can repair it. I get the hammer out and hit something. Usually the starter motor solenoid, or the alternator brushes. :cool:

My Webpage

Damn, you fix cars too???

I could use some help with my 88 Fiero Gt (4.5L V8 is on the stand in my garage for it!) :D

Now if we could only do something about this neatness streak, you'd be just about perfect :D

Damn!! I need to find a babe like you!!! :)

So you selling off your ST stuff or just selling extras? Nice site and I like your computer history page! I agree those times were magical back then, now...

Edited by tjlazer

Now boys, calm down or she'll disappear! And we don't want that now, do we? :)

Her PM inbox is probably already stuffed with marriage proposals after that pic. :D

I only soldered one of those damn din plugs, and boy was I annoyed at it :lol:

Ha seriously!

And who was talking to their manager and said "Hey, I've got a great idea... SOLID pins! Whaddya tink?"

Wait - go back. Who's fixing 88 Fiero GTs? I want in on some of that.

Picture, if you will, A 4.5 liter, Aluminum block, sequential port fuel injected Cadillac V8, in this:

Poobah's Car

Techie, you can help me work on my Nissan 300ZX TT anytime! :)

Ooooh, what year? I've been looking for a '94 or '95