IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

• 2 months later...

I've managed to dump my Centipede cartridge; pretty sure the dump was successful. However, the ROM appears to be different to the one on this site; I'm not a Centipede fan, but one difference I can see immediately is that the copyright notice in mine is white, whereas it's purple in the version on this site. I'm in PAL-land. Afraid I can't attach the dump as my system is having problems (due to me updating KDE), but I've uploaded it to my site:

http://tim32.org/~muzer/CENTIPEDE.a26

EDIT: Combat, too (and I have two of these):

http://tim32.org/~muzer/combat.a26

Edited by Muzer

What are hotspots? And what is a over dump?

Hotspots are what the games use to change banks, they can differ depending on how you dump the cart. Your overdump has the data twice. The game is 2k, your dump is two copies of the 2k of data making it 4k.

Mitch

What are hotspots? And what is a over dump?

Hotspots are what the games use to change banks, they can differ depending on how you dump the cart. Your overdump has the data twice. The game is 2k, your dump is two copies of the 2k of data making it 4k.

Mitch

1st, thanks, I suspected that, but didn't know why they would differ on the hotspots.

2nd, not me... I was just butting in and asking since I plan to dump my carts as well with the Harmony. ;-)

• 2 months later...

I was taking a look today at the HES 2 pak special rom for Motocross and Boom Bang. I found a partial Home Vision logo still remains.

Thomas found the Home Vision logo inside the Suntek rom years ago, but I'm not sure if the HES rom was ever documented for having a partial Home Vision logo as well. Each logo resides in the same area of rom.

post-7074-0-81403100-1351998568_thumb.png

Also Rom, did you get the Imagic Kiosk roms that Al dumped?

imagic_pop_11-4-82.bin

imagic_pop_kiosk_pal.bin

Why is there no dump of Andronauts by Imagic on Atarimania? I found it on other sites.

Or the Ebivision games?

Or the Red Sea Crossing?

Or the manual for Air Raid?

Here is a better description for you database:

Produced in an (unknown year) in (City I forgot) in California, this game originated from Mena's Toys in the Cuban district somehow. This game was written over(but leaving most intact) the code for Space Jockey by U.S. games. The name of the game is only written on the box. It is a T-handle, similar to Funvision's Aliases' releases. However, it has a larger in diameter handle, and is not rounded at the sides. The cartridge is a baby blue color. Th bottom of the cartridge resembles a U.S. Game cartridge. The colors of this game's background indicate that is was intended for NSTC, but the odd number of scanlines makes it technically PAL.

Also, ROM, check out my Pirate Tree Diagram thread, it is updated daily and I have an important request.

Why does Words-attack by Sancho have:

A plaintext word sancho (Not Logo style)

An Unused HOMEVISION logo

A production LOGO

WHY?

Off-topic:

Is it possible to put a full motion video game on the Atari 2600?

Or why not try port (A FUN GAME, IN MY OPINION, EVEN HAS A HIGH SCORE FEATURE. PERFECT FOR PORTING.)Hotel Mario? If they could port Elevator Action, Then someone could easily do it.

IT MUST BE DONE OR I WILL GO INSANE!!!!!

Still screens, venetian blinds... IT'S POSSIBLE!!!

I would pay 100$ for it. It would, to me, be more value than air raid.

Plus I won't make diagram 11 without it donated to me. :smile:

• 2 months later...

Is there anyone here who could dump the following PAL ROMs?

Airlock (Gameworld)

Bridge (Activision)

Coco Nuts (Telesys)

Pete Rose Baseball (HES)

Stargunner (Telesys)

Stronghold (CommaVid)

Turmoil (20th Century Fox)

In all these years, these ROMs were never .binned.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First post updated even though I had no idea this one was even missing. :? Are there any more that are missing?

Without disassembling I took a quick look and there are 63 bytes difference between the NTSC and PAL versions. Not much of a guess, but some of those will be different values for the timers, and the rest look consistent with color values.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BurgerTime (PAL) is the only ROM from Telegames that is still missing:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-burgertime_12369.html

But I'm not sure this one was ever released.

http://atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_cool.gif

What about the US telegames Bump 'n' Jump cart? I bought mine from atariage and it runs in 60 Hz, but has the PAL colors and plays the music slightly faster. It's different from the PAL ROM and the NTSC M-Network Bump 'n' Jump. I'm guessing it was a quick hack of the PAL cart since it behaves exactly the same as a hack of the PAL ROM for 60 Hz. Edited by BrianC

What about the US telegames Bump 'n' Jump cart? I bought mine from atariage and it runs in 60 Hz, but has the PAL colors and plays the music slightly faster. It's different from the PAL ROM and the NTSC M-Network Bump 'n' Jump. I'm guessing it was a quick hack of the PAL cart since it behaves exactly the same as a hack of the PAL ROM for 60 Hz.

Thanks for the info.

Would be interesting to dump this one to examine the differences more closely.

8)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to bfstats and in part to nofrills100, a new version of Bumper Bash (PAL) has been dumped:

Bumper Bash (SA-218C) (PAL).BIN

This came from a cart with the serial number SA-218C and not SA-218. Here is the manual for Bumper Bash:

Bumper Bash (U).pdf

After looking at the manual, and looking at some photos of the box for Bumper Bash I noticed that it should use paddles. I never knew this before. I did recall Bumper Bash (NTSC) was a game that seemed like it never did anything in Stella, but I just never bothered to dig deeper as it looked kind of boring and I figured I must not have known how to start it. It turns out that it is actually a pretty good game though! :) I took a closer look at the NTSC rom when analyzing this new dump, and noticed that it is defaulted to using a joystick by mistake in the Stella properties. More on the Stella settings later...

I went about comparing all of the Bumper Bash's. Bumper Bash NTSC and the PAL version 'C' both use the same paddle inputs. You press the left paddle firebutton to pull the pin down holding the ball, and then press both left paddle firebutton and right paddle firebutton together to release the pin. After that the left paddle firebutton controls the left paddle, and the right paddle firebutton controls the right paddle. Fairly straightforward.

Now here's where it gets interesting. The old PAL rom, the non-'C' version, looks like it is controlled by a joystick. I took a deep look at the paddle schematic, and it is impossible to start the game with a paddle controller... But with a joystick you press right to pull the pin down (the pin is located on the right side of the screen too), press up to release the pin (the ball travels up), and then pressing left activates the left paddle, and pressing right activates the right paddle.
There are two distinct possibilities for the non-'C' rom:
1) Either Spectravision (or Spectravideo) released a joystick version.
2) A pirate company converted the rom to be used for a joystick, such as was done for Circus Atari.
I feel possibilty 2 is the most plausible since the manual and box both says the game uses paddles. There are only 4 bytes difference in the PAL roms, all for masking inputs.
Here are the new stella.pro settings:
"Cartridge.MD5" "aa1c41f86ec44c0a44eb64c332ce08af"
"Cartridge.Manufacturer" "Spectravideo, David Lubar"
"Cartridge.ModelNo" "SA-218"
"Cartridge.Name" "Bumper Bash (1983) (Spectravideo)"
"Controller.Left" "PADDLES_IAXIS"
"Display.YStart" "20"
""
"Cartridge.MD5" "1bf503c724001b09be79c515ecfcbd03"
"Cartridge.Name" "Bumper Bash (Unknown) (PAL)"
"Display.YStart" "54"
""
"Cartridge.MD5" "16ee443c990215f61f7dd1e55a0d2256"
"Cartridge.Manufacturer" "Spectravideo, David Lubar"
"Cartridge.ModelNo" "SA-218C"
"Cartridge.Name" "Bumper Bash (1983) (Spectravideo) (PAL)"
"Controller.Left" "PADDLES_IAXIS"
"Display.YStart" "54"
""
I used the axis invert as you pull your mouse down to pull the pin back. Makes sense to me. However, I don't know what that will do a Stelladaptor (if anything). Also, Stephena, if you are reading this it looks like Marble Craze is not set to paddles.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda goofy since it would only take a few bytes at most to make it controllable via both methods (launch if pressed up OR both paddle triggers) ;)

Not much to tell regarding the Raiders proto. The "sword" icon must be an artifact from an unused idea, since it does not have a use (neither does the glitched ark icon...both can be obtained from a basket). The romspace for the "sword" was used for part of the copyright gfx in the release version, so it's possible that it was just a placeholder here.

The game is fully-playable, tho. Some minor elements are missing or disabled (like the lunatic being unable to kill you). Visiting the black market at any time by pressing select makes me suspect that this binary was originally made to test the game engine. In other words, it plays like a "Raiders lite" ;)

BTW the unused key gfx present in the release version are used here...as an extra means to obtain it (you can pick it up as a temple treasure in addition to getting it from a basket). Whether it was intended to be in both places in the game concept...I dunno.

Kinda goofy since it would only take a few bytes at most to make it controllable via both methods (launch if pressed up OR both paddle triggers) ;) Not much to tell regarding the Raiders proto. The "sword" icon must be an artifact from an unused idea, since it does not have a use (neither does the glitched ark icon...both can be obtained from a basket). The romspace for the "sword" was used for part of the copyright gfx in the release version, so it's possible that it was just a placeholder here. The game is fully-playable, tho. Some minor elements are missing or disabled (like the lunatic being unable to kill you). Visiting the black market at any time by pressing select makes me suspect that this binary was originally made to test the game engine. In other words, it plays like a "Raiders lite" ;) BTW the unused key gfx present in the release version are used here...as an extra means to obtain it (you can pick it up as a temple treasure in addition to getting it from a basket). Whether it was intended to be in both places in the game concept...I dunno.

RotLA proto? Sword? When did I miss this? Are the missing initials in there?