IGNORED

PS3 Blu Ray Player and PS2 Compatibility questions

Tempest

I'm considering picking up a PS3 since I'm in need of a new DVD player and my poor PS2 is on its last legs (the tray makes a nasty grinding noise when it slides out and it seems to take forever to read discs these days). I have a few questions though:

1. How well does the PS3 play regular DVD's? Blu Ray is nice and all, but I have a huge collection of DVD's that I'm not going to upgrade to Blu Ray any time soon. I heard that regular DVD's look crappy on the PS3, is there any truth to this?

2. What's the standard resolution of most PS3 games and Blu Ray movies? My TV doesn't do 1080p, but it is capable of taking a 720p signal and upconverting it to 1080i. I believe it also takes 480i and 480p. Will the games still look good on it?

3. How is the PS2 compatibility? I heard all kinds of nasty problems at launch, but I haven't heard anything since. Did they hammer out most of the problems? Is it 100% compatible, or do they need to keep adding games like they do with the 360?

Tempest

I'm considering picking up a PS3 since I'm in need of a new DVD player and my poor PS2 is on its last legs (the tray makes a nasty grinding noise when it slides out and it seems to take forever to read discs these days). I have a few questions though:

1. How well does the PS3 play regular DVD's? Blu Ray is nice and all, but I have a huge collection of DVD's that I'm not going to upgrade to Blu Ray any time soon. I heard that regular DVD's look crappy on the PS3, is there any truth to this?

2. What's the standard resolution of most PS3 games and Blu Ray movies? My TV doesn't do 1080p, but it is capable of taking a 720p signal and upconverting it to 1080i. I believe it also takes 480i and 480p. Will the games still look good on it?

3. How is the PS2 compatibility? I heard all kinds of nasty problems at launch, but I haven't heard anything since. Did they hammer out most of the problems? Is it 100% compatible, or do they need to keep adding games like they do with the 360?

Tempest

1.) Very well, the 360 spits out most of the discs that the PS3 will play just fine, this also goes for 15 year old scratched up audio discs.

2.) There is a firmware update coming in the near future, that will allow for DVD upscaling.

3.) The current U.S. model has a PS2 built in, only problems are with games that use certain types of controllers (think dance-pad) that the PS3 can't handle (currently).

If yer interested in backwards compatibility. I'd say go for one now since they are removing the hardware and switching to software emulation.

I never thought about it much, but with the emotion engine gone, does that kill PS1 backward compatibility as well?

If yer interested in backwards compatibility. I'd say go for one now since they are removing the hardware and switching to software emulation.

I never thought about it much, but with the emotion engine gone, does that kill PS1 backward compatibility as well?

I wouldn't worry about software emulation for the PSX. Even my crappy six year old Celeron can emulate a PSX very well.

So should I get one now with the hardware EE, or wait for the software EE. The upscaling of older games sounds nice, but if the hardware version has better compatibility then I'll get one now. Or will the hardware version be able to use the software EE upscaling?

Tempest

So should I get one now with the hardware EE, or wait for the software EE. The upscaling of older games sounds nice, but if the hardware version has better compatibility then I'll get one now. Or will the hardware version be able to use the software EE upscaling?

Tempest

Get one now and have both. I think the software upscaling will be done via an system update. Anyone know for sure?

I wouldn't worry about software emulation for the PSX. Even my crappy six year old Celeron can emulate a PSX very well.

That does not answer my question.

I didn't ask if it was "capable" of emulating the PS1.

I asked if the PS1 backward compatibility was gone because of the removal of the emotion engine.

I don't remember any of Sony's press releases regarding the hardware change of PS1 compatibility, only PS2 compatibility.

Upscaling is done by the video processor, so in theory a firmware update oughta do the trick on both systems.

Edited by Shannon

yep, get a ps3 now before they botch it up ...but dont get rid of your ps2 ..because the ps3 cant play some of the ps2 or ps 1 games.. i have mine next to each other(my ps 2 is also modded to play import games so im not trashing that ) so theres no problem.. if it dont work in one system i pop it in the other

my ps3 cant play the following.. Star wars rebel assult 2 (ps one)

Gran turismo 3 (playstation 2)

Soviet strike (ps one)

Robotech battlecry (playstation 2)

everything else plays perfectly...this is to be expected though...its like with the 360 and their backwards compatibility issues also... BOTH companies even said hang on to your other systems...

personally, i think the need for backwards compatibility will be phased out at some point...

my ps3 cant play the following.. Star wars rebel assult 2 (ps one)

Gran turismo 3 (playstation 2)

Soviet strike (ps one)

Robotech battlecry (playstation 2)

everything else plays perfectly...this is to be expected though...its like with the 360 and their backwards compatibility issues also... BOTH companies even said hang on to your other systems...

Further to the point of working games... what about these PS2 games?

Karaoke Revolution Games

MEtal Gear Solid 2

Dragon Quest VIII

Karaoke Revolution Games

If it requires a special controller than you'll need an adapter to use it on the PS3. I've heard mixed results about the ones currently out on the market.

Tempest

Karaoke Revolution Games

If it requires a special controller than you'll need an adapter to use it on the PS3. I've heard mixed results about the ones currently out on the market.

Tempest

But the microphones are USB connections which the PS3 does have. Perhaps there are no problems with it. (I'm hoping)