IGNORED

Might This Be A NES Prototype? *UPDATE* -- It Is, It Is A Prototype!

Atari Rescue Group

Two dollars at a flea market today got me this NES Caveman Games cart. The sticker also has a 5/14/90 date on it under the title. It seems to play ok but I don't know anything else about it other than the white sticker is over a Cobra Command label, both titles being Data East offerings, and it's sealed tight in the casing.

I'll try to weigh it tomorrow.

I don't know NES stuff so who around here can tell if this might be a prototype or loaner job?

post-2739-1174279476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atari Rescue Group

That certainly LOOKS like a NES proto. You'd have to open it up to make sure though. Congrats!

Tempest

Tempest, can you open it up without busting it? If you would like to check it out let me know, or please point me to someone who knows this NES stuff.

Here's a better photo of the label on it....

post-2739-1174321377_thumb.jpg

That certainly LOOKS like a NES proto. You'd have to open it up to make sure though. Congrats!

Tempest

Tempest, can you open it up without busting it? If you would like to check it out let me know, or please point me to someone who knows this NES stuff.

Here's a better photo of the label on it....

PDR_1004.JPG

Look at the back of the cart, does it have phillips screws or the special security bit screws?

Tempest

It's got three security bit screws. If Phillips I would've opened it. Looking on ebay (Doh!) I see two different size bits. Any idea which size it would be -- 3.8mm or 4.5mm? Are these things in electronics stores? If so I can look in some local places as well.

Wouldn't this be pretty easy to fake? Couldn't someone just peel off the old Caveman Games label, stick a Cobra Command label on it, then put a typed sticker with the text over it?

That's why I said it *LOOKS* like a prototype. Gotta see the insides first.

Tempest

It's got three security bit screws. If Phillips I would've opened it. Looking on ebay (Doh!) I see two different size bits. Any idea which size it would be -- 3.8mm or 4.5mm? Are these things in electronics stores? If so I can look in some local places as well.

You need the smaller size. The bigger size is for Nintendo consoles and Sega carts.

Or you could try the Bic pen trick, but I don't know if that works on the smaller size screws. Take a Bic pen, pull the point out of it, then pull out the plastic collar that held the point in place. Hold the small end over a gas flame for a couple of seconds, then jam it onto a screw and give it a moment to set.

Wouldn't this be pretty easy to fake? Couldn't someone just peel off the old Caveman Games label, stick a Cobra Command label on it, then put a typed sticker with the text over it?

If I knew it was a prototype I would've gladly paid the original $3 price from the vendor. Because I wasn't sure I felt obligated to try to work for a less damaging cost. ;) I don't collect NES stuff and the only console I have is currently selling on Ebay. If this cartridge isn't a loaner or prototype it is likely going to Goodwill. If it is real I'll be selling it for sure.

Thanks for the tool info Bruce! I ordered a tool so I'll get this thing opened up soon and report what's inside.

CONGRATS ! i am confident that it is a prototype !!! because data east made cobra command and caveman games so open it up !!! :D or ask a trusted member with the special bits to open it up and verify its a prototype... i have the special bits and i am 100% confident that its a prototype !! :D

I think its really cool that it might be a prototype, However I remember back in 7th grade (1987?) or so (nothing like showing how old I am), a game returning scheme that a couple of kids had back then. Keep in mind that this is before stores had the strict return policies they do today. These guys would go and buy the latest NES game at the store, then take the new game and an old game cart apart and swop the game boards. At this point they would return the game they just bought and say it had the wrong game in it and get there money back. I don't think they ever got caught. Of course it only lasted about a year or so, until the new return policies went in to effect.

Good luck I hope it is a prototype!

Edited by pboland

HAhahah, thanks for the praise,I just know that's real because I have a Werewolf proto with that same label inside of a case like that, and it came from a game magazine. That Caveman Games label I have on a cart without a Cobra COmmand label, but those are the real deal. They should have a small board with 2 EPROMS on it inside if I recall correctly.

Damn, why cant I find shit like that.

Oh wait, I dont go to thrift stores often. Maybe I should start going!

Oh and cool find

I beleive this is the same guy that found 2 Malagai carts and many other rare 2600 carts also at thrift stores. What a lucky guy :)

Yes it is, one of these days I will convince him that he needs to sell me that fiberoptic Atari sign he found.

I beleive this is the same guy that found 2 Malagai carts and many other rare 2600 carts also at thrift stores. What a lucky guy :)

Yes it is, one of these days I will convince him that he needs to sell me that fiberoptic Atari sign he found.

You guys have good memories. My wallet can't compete with ebay buyers for hard to find stuff so I get off the couch and away from the computer and do some scavenging occassionally. I do have my moments :) , and it's mostly luck being in the right place at the right time.

The sign sits in a closet too much. It's still not for sale but I wonder if Al would like to borrow it to use at some shows. It could at least help make some passers-by stop and take a look at his stuff for sale.

The tool arrived today and I got the cart open.

Small board and 2 EPROMS :!: just like the description above -- one has "CHR" and the other "UGHPRG" handwritten on the labels (Or the UG may be a V and a 6 or something.)

Here's a couple of pictures.......

PDR_1018.JPGPDR_1019.JPG

CHR may be Character

UGHPRG may be Ugh Program. Caveman Games was also known as Ugh-lympics on other systems.

Tempest