IGNORED

Limited edition games...

opcode

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys think about numbered, limited edition games (for classic systems). I am looking for some feedback before I release my CV game... :ponder:

I am new here, so please excuse me if this topic has already been posted before...

Any comment would be appreciated...

Well, this is a hornet's nest of a topic, to be sure. People usually spilt into one of two camps.

1. If that's all the creator wants to make, more power to him/her. It's their effort, their money, their time, and their project. If they want to make 10 and that's it, then that's it. Those who can't get one of these should just lump it. Life isn't fair and no one's going to get one of everything.

2. It's unfair to those who will never get ahold of one to only make a limited amount. As long as there's a demand, you can make more. just dump the money you make into the manufacture of more carts to meet demand. Also, a "limited run" gives thesse a false sense of rarity, which in turn bumps up the price amongst collectors.

Needless to say, small wars have broken out over this topic. (Watch the upcoming "CGE exclusives" threads that will erupt any day now as CGE climbs closer...) My own opinion is well-known and documented and will not be written down here. Can't tell you what is best, but be prepared to catch some flak regardless of what decision you make. Good luck with your project.

as a collector i would say i LOVE when a new game comes out with a limited #'ed edition run..

it lets you know how many were made and which one you got of the few that were made.. (if you were able to be one of the lucky few to get it that is!!) ;)

makes the cart more special!!

Take care,and good luck with your project!!

Rick

Hi,

As a vg collector myself I can see the joy of purchasing a limited edition game, but it can leed to frustation too. For exemplo, since I live in Brazil I am not able to go to CGE every year (to be honest I have never attended it :sad: ). This way I am most the time unable to buy the exclusive titles which are released there. It's very frustrating...

Do you think two runs for a game, a limited numbered/signed and a non-limited, would be interesting. Some releases for modern games are fashioned this way.

I just want to satisfact the greatest possible number of community members... :ponder:

I'd just do it however you'd like.. I mean, it's YOUR game. Besides, no matter how you do it there are going to be people who whine and complain. I think it's funny that the people who whine are generally the ones who have NEVER done any good for the classic gaming community. Other programmers, archivists, whatever tend to support the programmers decision.

KA

Hi,

Do you think two runs for a game, a limited numbered/signed and a non-limited, would be interesting. Some releases for modern games are fashioned this way.  

I just want to satisfact the greatest possible number of community members...  :ponder:

i think that would be great idea!! (2 runs)

just wondering what type of game is it? shooter, puzzle,..ect

CV is that for colecovision?

Take Care,

Rick

What are your intentions? Would you be calling it "Limited Edition" so you could charge more money for it, or do you just not want the headache of reproducing them over and over for a few years? It's a serious question -- NOT a sarcastic one.

ANY homebrew is going to be a "limited edition," simply because only one guy's making it. You don't have the wherewithall to manufacture hundreds of thousands, or millions, of carts like a 1980s corporation. If you want to keep it appealing to collectors, don't worry about pronouncing it "limited" -- it automatically is!

-- Peaceful Chris (Honest)

Hi again,

Interesting points here... I am starting to believe this topic brings bad memories for some people... :)

Well, of course I am not going to sell a game forever. But neither is any other game company going to sell either. Games have a lifespan after all...

Maybe the 2 runs idea would be the more suitable... The hardcore collectors would have theirs limited edition version and the casual gamers would have a "normal" edition. Maybe if I add some extras...

I am working on a conversion of Space Invaders and Space Invaders Part II for ColecoVision....

Thanks

Even if a game is limited edition, another run usually pops up in other conventions (i.e. SCSIside was released as limited runs at both CGE and PC3). You can also still pick up the game from Hozer, if you don't particulary care about it's "rarity."

• 2 weeks later...

I love all of the newly released protos etc. but getting hold of copies of games with a 250 limit typically proves near impossible, especially as I live in the UK. For me, all I really want is to own the complete copy of a game (box + manual). Having a number on it isn't important for me personally. Nice but not a requirement.

I would think though that as classic video games, like those for the 2600 still have only a cult following, that even if everyone who wanted a copy of some newly released title got one, the quantities of games sold would still be quite low - even worldwide. Numbers could be put on every box/cart sold and it would still be a limited edition, with say only 1000 carts in circulation that is still a very limited number to release but would reach an awful lot more folks who simply cannot attend gaming expos. I've no idea how many copies of Quadrun were released but I'd think well over a thousand and this carries a '10' rarity rating.

I would say that it is a different issue when we are talking a true 'home-made' type. All of the Qb carts & Polo carts, boxes etc. have been made by lone individuals. That's a hell of a lot of work for one person to do, so large numbers of games made this way could well be unrealistic.

Perhaps a limited, numbered release of 250 games with a larger run without numbers following after would keep everyone happy? As long as the carts had labels, manuals & boxes I would be more than pleased.

Here's to hoping! :D