IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 47: Challenge of Nexar

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

BEYOND GALAXIES KNOWN TO MAN, BEYOND TIME AS WE PERCEIVE IT, LIES THE SOURCE OF INNER POWER.

THERE IN A REMOTE CORNER OF THE UNIVERSE, FUTURE SPECTRA-WARRIORS ARE TRAINED FOR THE CONQUESTS TO COME. FROM THE MANY WHO TRY, ONLY A SELECTED FEW CAN MEET THE CHALLENGE OF ... NEXAR.

(Note that for this game, we're playing with the B difficulties which are actually the HARDER settings)

Game Information

• Game Name: Challenge of Nexar
  • Released By: Spectravision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice(3 Shields)
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice (Lose game if time runs out)
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Nathan Strum

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, March 29th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 284,450 (The MindMaster) [+11]
  2. 266,150 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 235,600 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
  4. 184,750 (johnnywc) [+8]
  5. 92,350 (Goochman) [+7]
  6. 56,500 (rheffera) [+6]
  7. 53,350 (Deteacher) [+5]
  8. 24,500 (vdub_bobby) [+4]
  9. 17,500 (LarcenTyler) [+3]
  10. 4100 (ewing92) [+2]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted.

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 999,995 (David B Yancey)
  2. 233,750 (Jeffrey D Lowe Jr.) (Emulator)
  3. 19,500 (Alan W Hewston)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [473]
  2. SpiceWare [333]
  3. Deteacher [301]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. vdub_bobby [175]
  6. LarcenTyler [172]
  7. rheffera [133]
  8. Nathan Strum [113]
  9. Goochman [98]
  10. scogey [95]
  11. the 5th ghost [87]
  12. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  13. BrianC [78]
  14. Cybergoth [73]
  15. johnnywc [72]
  16. shadow460 [72]
  17. shawnb [71]
  18. Christophero Sly [70]
  19. atari2600land [70]
  20. Malc74 [63]
  21. Zoyx [49]
  22. Recycled [46]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. ewing92 [27]
  27. Jred [26]
  28. Crazy Climber [26]
  29. doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Challenge of Nexar

• Shooting down a Saucer: 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1200, or 2000 points, depending on the speed of the saucer
  • Shooting down a Beacon: 200 x level (So 200 points on level 1, 400 on level 2, etc)
  • A bonus shield is given for every 10,000 points.
  • Score maxes out at 999,995.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy online for your reading pleasure, though it doesn't contain any real tips.
-You have unlimited shots and can fire rapidly, so to quote William Rush from Time Crisis 4, "Just hold down the trigger and keep firing!" (or the button in this case)

-Remember that the only way you lose a shield is if an object touches your crosshair, even if it's been destroyed.

-The perspective of this game is a little awkward, so try shooting from an angle at times instead of just shooting straight ahead, since you'll have a better chance of hitting your target and survival.

-And remember, while it's natural to shoot the saucers, remember you need to shoot the beacons (squares) in order to progress to the next Nexar and reset the timer.

Tip: during the higher levels youll want to take out all or as many beacons as you can early on. Otherewise you'll be frantically trying to destroy the rest before the timer runs out. Five or more on the beacon counter at 20 ticks or less on the timer can be difficult to clear, and sometimes the beacons needed to finish wont appear so time will run out and it's game over. Keep an eye on the beacon counter at all times. Lastly, before a beacon appears, you'll hear a specific sound indicating ones coming.

--Zero

17,500 - First score. Here is my advice for surviving the Challenge of Nexar:

-You have unlimited shots and can fire rapidly, so to quote William Rush from Time Crisis 4, "Just hold down the trigger and keep firing!" (or the button in this case)

-Remember that the only way you lose a shield is if an object touches your crosshair, even if it's been destroyed.

-The perspective of this game is a little awkward, so try shooting from an angle at times instead of just shooting straight ahead, since you'll have a better chance of hitting your target and survival.

-And remember, while it's natural to shoot the saucers, remember you need to shoot the beacons (squares) in order to progress to the next Nexar and reset the timer.

So far my best two scores are: 136,200, and 140,500. Tip: during the higher levels youll want to take out all or as many beacons as you can early on. Otherewise you'll be frantically trying to destroy the rest before the timer runs out. Five or more on the beacon counter at 20 ticks or less on the timer can be difficult to clear, and sometimes

the beacons needed to finish wont appear so time will run out and it's game over. Keep an eye on the beacon counter at all times. Lastly, before a beacon appears, you'll hear a specific sound indicating ones coming.

I was reading the manual and noticed this part:

GAME 1 - PRACTICE

GAME 2 - ADVANCE PRACTICE

GAME 3 - THE CHALLENGE OF NEXAR

I assume everyone is playing on Game 1? If so, then we'll just keep it that way for consistency.

I also noticed that at the very bottom it says:

© 1982 Audio visual by SIRIUS SOFTWARE Inc.

Which I thought was odd, since the only Sirius games I knew of were the ones released by 20th Century Fox.

--Zero