IGNORED

Anyone know of a Toy Bizarre proto? Still just a rumour?

PressureCooker2600

I never got to play Park Patrol....I'll have to look that one up.

I miss Toy Bizarre so bad....that game should be ported to the 5200 like 'Cloak & Dagger' is being done. That game was one of the most unique games I ever played for the C64.....and I had hundreds of C64 games back in the day.

Unique if you'd never played Mario Bros before ;)

Having said that, it does play differently and requires different strategy and the coffee breaks are a challenge. Certainly one of my fave Activision games and probably has the rarest patch available.

It never reminded me of Mario Bros.

The graphics were also cool and the Coffee Breaks were AWESOME!!!!!

When I had the game....I had no clue it was an Activision game. Only realized it was by Activision a year or two ago.

Other great and unique c64 games: DINO EGGS!!!!!! Knight Games, Trolls and Tribulations, too many others to list

• 2 weeks later...

Toy Bizarre certainly borrows some elements from Mario Bros. Actually, I'm surprised to hear it was only released on the C-64. The graphics looked rather mediocre for the 64, I always thought they drew the enemies that way so that they could be reproduced easily as color-striped players on the Atari 8-bits or even the 2600.

Dino Eggs, in comparison, looks like it has been ported from the Apple II, but the C-64 version seems to be far more popular.

• 1 month later...
Either that one or Park Patrol
Yep I was just thinking that. Those are the only two unique Activision titles that we missed out on.

Hm... what did you mean with unique in that context? Activison released well over 100 C64 games and for example "Little Computer People" looks pretty unique to me, or? :)

Either that one or Park Patrol
Yep I was just thinking that. Those are the only two unique Activision titles that we missed out on.

Hm... what did you mean with unique in that context? Activison released well over 100 C64 games and for example "Little Computer People" looks pretty unique to me, or? :)

Unique from a 81-84 cartridge perspective. Actually I think Park Patrol was disk only...

Tempest

There is a Park Patrol C64 cartridge, but it was via Home Entertainment Suppliers in Australia, and not Activision directly. They had license for the game and made a cart release from it, along with a few other Activision titles (Ghostbusters, Wonderboy).

There is a Park Patrol C64 cartridge, but it was via Home Entertainment Suppliers in Australia, and not Activision directly.

Interesting.

BTW: I don't think you're serious about the cash reward for finding "Chris Butler" as mentioned on your homepage, but anyway, he's to be found here :)

Would be cool if you could interview him! :D

BTW: I don't think you're serious about the cash reward for finding "Chris Butler" as mentioned on your homepage, but anyway, he's to be found here :)

Heh that is now an almost 10 year article on my site or so... though I believe (sadly) Chris is another one of those who doesn't want to talk much about the past kinda guys.

In the US it was. In Europe it was only available as a budget release on Firebirds Silver 199 label. Sort of a rerelease without an actual full-price release.

Same with Zone Ranger, a funky Bosconian type game. Both only appeared in the UK on Firebird's budget label, Activision never released them at full price in the UK for whatever reason. We got almost everything else... only Fast Tracks and Alcazar spring to mind did they not also release here.

Same with Zone Ranger, a funky Bosconian type game. Both only appeared in the UK on Firebird's budget label, Activision never released them at full price in the UK for whatever reason. We got almost everything else... only Fast Tracks and Alcazar spring to mind did they not also release here.

I thought there were a lot more Firebird budget releases of Activision titles. I'm pretty sure I had H.E.R.O. on a Firebird tape and I think On Court Tennis was also from Activision?

BTW: Did you ever talk with some people of the early Activision days? What I really wonder is wether they kinda "launched" their C64 development by completely buying "Sirius Software"? Their early non-2600 based titles like Pastfinder, Park Patrol, Zone Ranger and Toy Bizarre are all from former Sirius programmers.

I thought there were a lot more Firebird budget releases of Activision titles. I'm pretty sure I had H.E.R.O. on a Firebird tape and I think On Court Tennis was also from Activision?

There were. Add also Beamrider and Decathlon btw.

Pastfinder is still in my book one of the most underrated and overlooked gems in video games history. I still play it and enjoy it tremendously, yet at the time of its release most people couldn´t grasp the concept of the gameplay apparently.