IGNORED

PS3 launch : total flop ?

Pocket

the PS3 launched in europe this night

in France, the launch party was a TOTAL flop

you could buy the console near the Eiffel Tower, on a boat

"only" 1000 consoles were available

the security people (40) waited for 3000 customers

at the end, there was less customers than security people... I think it's the biggest flop sony ever had for a launch party

Here's our report, translated with google :

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

wow.. interesting read. cant believe it went that bad. i mean, even here in the states the initial lauch had demand for the system in the first month or two. im sure many people werent happy with the ommision of the ps2 chip among other things.

speaking of which, what are the sales like in europe for 360 and wii? kinda curious who is in the lead now, and by how much a month.

As I just said in another thread, it's too expensive. If they launched at $400, there'd be the mobs Sony was expecting.

the ps3 really isnt that expensive..considering your also getting a built in blu ray player.. which is a great deal in itself...

sure the price should have been lower...its still high compared to other systems...but what did you expect from sony? their marketing department is run by morons who are only thinking about their pockets..thay dont care about the consumer.

i almost didnt get one myself because like most people i was shocked by the price, but where i work i had first pick of them so i thought why not? id rather get it here with my discount than on ebay later...

where i work the ps3 sells well..both versions.. and with the news that sony will possibly sell a even more stripped down ps3 i bet that will sell just as well.. bottom line is..if you want the system you'll pay for it.

funny thing is we will be discussing/bitching about topics like this all over again when the playstation 4 and Xbox 3 is launched.

if i wanted a blue ray player, then yes, its a good value. but many people dont.. they want, SHOCK, a gaming machine. thats the problem. there is no choice, like the 360 for example. if you want all of that stuff its cheaper to get a ps3, but if you just want a gaming system with no bells and whistles, its not worth the sticker price.

the ps3 really isnt that expensive.

Yes it is. $600 is a LOT to pay for a video game system that doesn't have very many games yet. Blu Ray is NOT a mass-market format and 90% of the market doesn't care that it has Blu-Ray built in. It's just another added expense.

You Sony apologists can keep on trotting out the "but it has Blu-Ray built in! It has a 60 gig hard drive! It has free online! It has the sun and the moon and the stars!" None of that changes the fact that your average everyday consumer looks at the price and says, "Ouch. No thanks!"

Edited by Gregory DG

and with the news that sony will possibly sell a even more stripped down ps3 i bet that will sell just as well

Honestly, if they did that, the gaming press would be... unkind. Meanwhile, I think it would be a great idea. Strip the thing down until it's a device focused on gaming, and I might even buy one.

Edited by Atarifever

Honestly, if they did that, the gaming press would be... unkind. Meanwhile, I think it would be a great idea. Strip the thing down until it's a device focused on gaming, and I might even buy one.

So you think that having discs that can hold 6 times the amount of data won't be a beneficial gaming feature? Kinda short-sighted opinion, I'd say.

Right now, Blu-Ray is only useful as a movie player, but it shouldn't be too long before game developers start to legitimately take advantage of the extra storage capacity.

Yes it is. $600 is a LOT to pay for a video game system that doesn't have very many games yet. Blu Ray is NOT a mass-market format and 90% of the market doesn't care that it has Blu-Ray built in. It's just another added expense.

You Sony apologists can keep on trotting out the "but it has Blu-Ray built in! It has a 60 gig hard drive! It has free online! It has the sun and the moon and the stars!" None of that changes the fact that your average everyday consumer looks at the price and says, "Ouch. No thanks!"

That depends on the definition on your average consumer.

Needs of everyday comsumers are changing quickly, they are not static. If so, capitalism would not work.

Sony is very ambitious with the PS3. The qestion is if this ambition will pay off this year or next year.

MS limited the Xbox as a machine for gamers. Nintendo and Sony are aiming for home entertainment which means a much wider audience.

Sony is currently lacking content to make the PS3 a hit among living rooms, but its clear that it is not supposed to be limited to the hardcore gaming crowd like the Xbox. Sony lost some bits of the hardcore gaming market, but that is really insignificant. The question is if the PS3 can conquer living rooms and establish itself as the new multimedia standard device.

For its technics and functions the PS3 is really a steal. What it currently lacks is content.

the PS3 launched in europe this night

in France, the launch party was a TOTAL flop

you could buy the console near the Eiffel Tower, on a boat

"only" 1000 consoles were available

the security people (40) waited for 3000 customers

at the end, there was less customers than security people... I think it's the biggest flop sony ever had for a launch party

Here's our report, translated with google :

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Guessing from the Playstation Network attendies I would not be surprised if Sony has sold 1,000,000 machines by the weekend EU wide.

Most ppl have preordered their PS3s so it's no wonder that there was no rush at the stores. There was no hysteria or madness going on - unfortunate for the mass media but fortunate for Xbox fans to pet their PS3 neurosis. But that is not any indication that the PS3 does not sell well.

Needs of everyday comsumers are changing quickly, they are not static. If so, capitalism would not work.

Sony is very ambitious with the PS3. The qestion is if this ambition will pay off this year or next year.

MS limited the Xbox as a machine for gamers. Nintendo and Sony are aiming for home entertainment which means a much wider audience.

Sony is currently lacking content to make the PS3 a hit among living rooms, but its clear that it is not supposed to be limited to the hardcore gaming crowd like the Xbox. Sony lost some bits of the hardcore gaming market, but that is really insignificant. The question is if the PS3 can conquer living rooms and establish itself as the new multimedia standard device.

For its technics and functions the PS3 is really a steal. What it currently lacks is content.

yea if you dont have a computer, movie player, or a game system... i guess you get a watered down version of the first two plus a game player, but in reality, its only a steal if you need all these. so for what most people are buying it for, a gaming system.. its actually VERY expensive. i dont need to go on the net, i dont need a several gig hd, blue ray or anything... im content with dvds, i dont have an hd tv, so i really woudlnt see much of a differnce anyway, and there are far better devices to do all the other things that the system offers besides games. if i want blue ray in the future, id rather get a stand alone player, as the real units are much better quality from what ive seen compaired to a ps3.

its like saying a volvo is a steal over a chevy because it has onstar, better audio system, and wipers on the headlamps for only 20 thousand dollars more... most people dont care about it or need it. they just want a car.

i miss the days when a launch system at 299.99 was common and considered expensive. now we have one year old systems at 400 dollars and new ones at 600... seriously ugh.

Edited by AtariJr

and with the news that sony will possibly sell a even more stripped down ps3 i bet that will sell just as well

hmm it seems likr the gaming press is already unkind...but im not a hugfe sony fanboy...i know some people that think the ps3 is the second coming LOL its a gaming system nuff said...

if i wanted a blue ray player, then yes, its a good value. but many people dont.. they want, SHOCK, a gaming machine. thats the problem. there is no choice, like the 360 for example. if you want all of that stuff its cheaper to get a ps3, but if you just want a gaming system with no bells and whistles, its not worth the sticker price.

i know what you mean, Just a plain GAMING system would be a godsend, but we live in a age now...where we have to cram evwerything into one system..sure its a nice idea etc but its really not neccessary...half the time i just want to play a game...

i happen to like the blu ray format, but mostly i prefer dvds i also have the hd dvd drive for my 360..but to be honest...the picture quality is all the same in most respects...

I don't quite understand this point of view at all. The 360 not only offers an online gaming community that is unmatched, a decent selection of casual games on the Live marketplace, but also movie downloads, TV show downloads, music downloads, game guide downloads, demo's, playable demo's, preview videos, and developer videos plus the HD DVD add-on. How exactly is this not home entertainment? And how exactly does the wii fit the definition of home entertainment when all you can do is play games, you can't even watch a dvd movie? It seems that you have things backwards unless I am missing what you mean.