IGNORED

The five worst games for the Lynx

bergbros

I can't believe the amount of hate for Pit-Fighter. I've had plenty of fun with it, despite the controls being crap, the sounds being crap, and the gameplay being highly mediocre. It's definitely in the bottom half of the Lynx's library, but definitely NOT in the worst 5. I can easily list 5 games that are worse than Pit-Fighter:

Hard Drivin'

Steel Talons

Diry Harry (I despise that game!)

Robo-Squash

Tournament Cyberball

There's probably a few others that I could rank under Pit-Fighter, too.

Pit-fighter is garbage and you stated the reasons for it. I am going to revise my list but slightly as I remembered some really bad games:

1. Pitfighter

2. Krazy Ace Minature Golf- For collectors only. Horribly buggy, unplayable, has only "nine" holes with the last two a repeat of the first two holes. It took Telegames five years to make this???

3. Super Off Road- Another unplayable Telegames stinker. And they gave us such gems as Desert Strike, European Soccer Challenge and Qix.

4. Basketbrawl

5. Fussball- This could have been NFL Football but this game gets the nod for flickery, boring and unplayability. The mere fact that they chose the title Fussball is all you need to know. What were they trying to appeal in the states with the name of a barroom game?

The other games I mentioned before suck, and Hard Drivin and Robosquash are not good games at all, but the above games are te worst of the worst.

• 1 year later...
I can easily list 5 games that are worse than Pit-Fighter:  

Hard Drivin'  

Steel Talons  

Robo-Squash  

Tournament Cyberball  

Steel Talons is a great simulator for the Lynx. With a little practice you can

complete this game.

Serguei2

I can easily list 5 games that are worse than Pit-Fighter:  

Hard Drivin'  

Steel Talons  

Robo-Squash  

Tournament Cyberball  

Steel Talons is a great simulator for the Lynx. With a little practice you can

complete this game.

Serguei2

I agree. Other than its understandably choppy frame-rate, Steel Talons is a great game.

Robo-squash is one of my favorite Lynx games, so I don't agree with that choice either. But that's okay with me; people are entitled to their opinions.

I guess i'm a freak, because I actually like Basketbrawl, on the Lynx and the 7800.

My bottom of the barrel, least played games:

Desert Strike - graphics are so small I can't tell what's happening onscreen

Gauntlet III - The Lynx's LCD screen doesn't have a good enough viewing angle to play this one sideways.

Hard Drivin' - A choppy framerate and bad controls equals an awkward gaming experience.

Kung Food - Great graphics and presentation, but high frustration means I never play this one.

Pit Fighter - I've never liked fighting games, but at least it came free as a pack-in.

Robotron: 2084 - (I know i'll make enemies including this one) The firing control was too difficult to use. Real Robotron needs two controllers.

Batman Returns - Others here might have been good at it, but the difficulty is just too high to enjoy.

Gordo is really simple and boring. There really isn't much challenge either. Desert Strike is an excellent game but it is really hard after the first stage. Robotron is spot on if it wasn't for the control scheme. Gauntlet is not really exciting but it is not in the bottom five. I grant you that Dirty Larry, Kung Food, Turbo Sub and Batman Returns are just dreck and Pit-Fighter is just an ugly mess. Hard Drivin's controls are an exercise in hair pulling frustration. However, you gotta see the bottom five games I picked. These ones are horribly buggy, absolutely boring and virtually unplayable. It has to go beyond disappointment which I put Electrocop, Gauntlet and Hydra. The game actually makes you want to burn it or feel like suing the developer for wasting your time.

This is limited to the titles I own:

1. Dirty Larry - This is not fun. You can not dodge enemy gunfire. You can not duck, and if you jump they will fire a second shot that will hit you. Trying to kill an enemy with punches can never be done without taking some damage yourself.

2. Batman Returns - This game suffers from similar problems. Unlike Dirty Larry which forces you to kill every enemy, your only chance with Batman is to run away from enemies. Since when is Batman a coward, since when is vials of acid Batman weapon of choice? Very lame.

3. Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure - This game has real potential, and its cool that they never fight anybody just like in the movie. The problem is the story gets soooo crazy its not fun anymore. I lost interest in 'ole England when I was being chased across lava pits by animated furniture. WTF!

4. Kung Food - The enemies have a no-AI. Completely zero. They have no idea where the player is. They simply walk in a direction and attack, walk in another direction and attack. The only reason they hit you is because you have to step in front of them to hit them, and sometimes they hit you before they die. Very Lame!

5. Turbo Sub - I just don't enjoy this game.

Im surprised Ninja Gaiden III hasn't been mentioned.  That game is awful.  Tournament Cyberball is pretty bad, too.

I agree. This is my pick for "worst of" on the Lynx; it's even less enjoyable than either of "Hard Drivin'", "NFL Football", and "Tournament Cyberball", the Lynx's other bona fide stinkers.

Batman Returns is the worst game I have IMO.

I don't actually think Hard Drivin' is that bad once you adjust for the control mechanism... but then I always liked the arcade.

Find the bugs in Sweek very irritating BTW.

And for some reason I never found Turbo Sub particularly enjoyable, although it isn't directly bad.

• 4 weeks later...
pit fighter - no playability at all

tournament cyberball - dito

Rampart

turbo sub

steel talons

I'm not going to argue with three of your choices (or even Steel Talons, although I disagree with you), but Rampart? Rampart?

Rampart is great on single-player, and Comlynxed it is heaven.

My bottom 5

1. Batman Returns- I paid big money for this game when it came out. What a piece of crap. Batman deserves better.

2. Kung Food- Like everyone said, good graphics but stinkin' gameplay. Atari should have taken a note off sega (golden axe, streets of rage)

3. Hard Drivin'- I liked this game for a while, until I finished it, horrible controls and ghastly frame rate make a poor game.

4. Ishido- Stupid puzzle game that I just don't understand.

5. Pit fighter- I thought it was cool back in its day. The only fighter on the Lynx. However I can't bring myself to plug the cart into my Lynx now a days.

I'm not going to argue with three of your choices (or even Steel Talons, although I disagree with you), but Rampart?  Rampart?

Rampart is great on single-player, and Comlynxed it is heaven.

I don't know any one else to comlynx with :sad:

I didn't get any istructions with rampart plus there isn't much involvment

I'm not one to complain about videogames but I agree some are worse than others though I still like them in their boxes with manuals no matter what game they are. I always thought Steel Talons was a good game. I liked it anyway and I thought the graphics were actually quite good anf going downm that canyon is a blast. I might sound a bit dresperate and hard up for fun but this game I liked.

Daniel.

for me they would be

1. kung food.

2 bubble trouble.

The control on both of these 2 leaves a lot to be desired earlier I was thinking cyberball but having never seen a game of american football,and having no understanding of the rules I'm not really qualified to comment on it but it is one cart I probably won't be putting in my console again. Surprising though that double dragon doesn'rate well with many despite its faults, it is a different game comlynxed.

I remember loving Hard Driving when I was young. I only played Lynx a couple of times, but that was always the game I wanted to play. I enjoyed the slowness and poor controlls although I can't figure out why. I just never could get through that loop!

• 19 years later...

Well isn't this a fascinating time capsule! Some truly wacky choices here. Twenty years later, what are YOUR least favorite games on the Lynx?

I'll start:

1. Krazy Ace Miniature Golf (rankly unfinished)

2. Dirty Larry (aged poorly, played like crap all along)

3. Super Off Road (frame rate is horrific and controls are deeply frustrating)

4. Batman Returns (Batman does not play well, all of the artistic effort went into the first level)

5. World Class Fussball/Soccer (in a world full of good soccer games, being the worst soccer game on the Lynx is a sure way to not get played much)

• Like 2