IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 48: Amidar

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

First you're a gorilla in a maze pursued by wild warriors! The gorilla wants to color in the maze and the warriors want to do in the gorilla. It's up to you to keep the gorilla ahead of the patrolling pack while you guide him on his coloring spree every which way throughout the maze. If you're successful, suddenly you're a paint roller pursued by patrolling pigs. And it's another fast and furious chase all over again!

Game Information

• Game Name: Amidar
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert (Start at level 1)
  • Right Difficulty: A / Expert
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Christophero Sly

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, April 5th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 155,339 (The MindMaster) [+11]
  2. 52,453 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 26,812 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 22,095 (johnnywc) [+8]
  5. 12,211 (shadow460) [+7]
  6. 11,223 (rheffera) [+6]
  7. 10,422 (Goochman) [+5]
  8. 7618 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 7289 (Captain Beard) [+3]
  10. 6154 (JimboGames) [+2]
  11. 5821 (ewing92) [+1]
  12. 5620 (scogey) [+1]
  13. 4475 (vdub_bobby) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted.

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 11,313 (Lafe Travis)
  2. 11,194 (Andrew Pete Mee)
  3. 10,778 (Robert Macauley)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [482]
  2. SpiceWare [333]
  3. Deteacher [306]
  4. vdub_bobby [179]
  5. LarcenTyler [177]
  6. keilbaca [175]
  7. Nathan Strum [141]
  8. rheffera [139]
  9. Goochman [105]
  10. scogey [95]
  11. the 5th ghost [87]
  12. johnnywc [80]
  13. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  14. BrianC [78]
  15. Cybergoth [73]
  16. shadow460 [72]
  17. shawnb [71]
  18. Christophero Sly [70]
  19. atari2600land [70]
  20. Malc74 [63]
  21. Zoyx [54]
  22. Recycled [46]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. ewing92 [29]
  27. Jred [26]
  28. Crazy Climber [26]
  29. doctorclu [22]
  30. phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • The MindMaster [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Amidar

• HORIZONTAL LINES: from one to six points, depending on the length of the line; 1 point for the shortest line, 6 points for the longest line.
  • VERTICAL LINES: 1 point
  • Coloring an entire box ....... 50 points
  • Catching a chicken ........... 100 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy online for your reading pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:

- When making a turn inside the maze, you may want to lead into it with your Joystick. This can prevent your missing the turn completely.

- In order to earn the most points catching chickens, leave one side of the last corner box untraced, wait until the warriors/pigs are close by, then complete the last corner box. Your gorilla/paint roller will be in a better position to catch chickens than if they'd been at other parts of the maze.

Tips: Use the fire button to turn the warriors and pigs into shadows for a couple seconds, thus allowing you to get by safely if a collision is eminent. You get 4 for each life. Don't be shy, use them, they come in handy. The warriors and pigs follow a set pattern each round, but their speed increases. When they move towards the right , work on coloring the left side of the play field, when they move left, color the right side.
It looks like you can only have 3 lives in reserve (correct me if I'm wrong.) Also, you get an extra life for completing the level. So, if you've got all your lives and you've used all of your jumps. Kill yourself before you finish the level. You'll start your 2nd life with 4 new jumps. Finish the level (without dying again) and you've got all your lives back. :)

I find it very easy to avoid the pigs/warriors by going left/right as much as possible. Of course you can't complete the levels without going up and down, but I start each level by going straight across each row (as much as possible.) The only time I shy away from this strategy is if I know I can clear some of the board.

If you see a baddie coming toward you, make sure there's an intersection between you and him. He'll turn off and you can continue across. Always give them the right of way and you'll survive much longer!

In case you didnt notice the enemies have a distinct movement - 1 goes around the outside edge constantly - all the others will *have* to take the nearest ladder no matter what - They will attempt to chase you but they cannot skip a ladder - makes it easier to predict your escape route if possible.
I noticed that the player's sprite turns into the Frogger sprite after you leave the game untouched after start-up for aprox. 10 minutes and then start the game.

--Zero

Tips: Use the fire button to turn the warriors and pigs into shadows for a couple seconds, thus allowing you to get by safely if a collision is eminent. You get 4 for each life. Don't be shy, use them, they come in handy. The warriors and pigs follow a set pattern each round, but their speed increases. When they move towards the right , work on coloring the left side of the play field, when they move left, color the right side.

Yeah i think so.

When i first started to play this my first thought was: How Come people keep recommending barely playable games for the HSC?

But now that ive gotten used to it, its an OK game, a bit slow, but OK.

First Attempt: 9,540

post-9059-1175243237_thumb.jpg

Edited by rheffera

This is BY NO MEANS an attack on anyone, but just FYI that we're playing on the A/Expert settings, according to the OP. Sometimes the difficulty settings get overlooked until it's pointed out. I'm just as guilty. :)

I'm hoping I find Amidar in the wild this weekend. I'd like to play this one on the original hardware. :)

Edited by Deteacher

Actually, it should be "Expert", since that's what the difficulty switches on the Sears Video Arcades say in the "A" position. Parker Bros. got it backwards for this game. It doesn't refer to the actual difficulty, just the switch position. (This is mentioned in the Amidar manual.)

Sears Video Arcade owners... If you wish to start the game at level 1, set the difficulty switch at Expert; if you wish to start at level 3, set it at Novice.

Actually, it should be "Expert", since that's what the difficulty switches on the Sears Video Arcades say in the "A" position. Parker Bros. got it backwards for this game. It doesn't refer to the actual difficulty, just the switch position. (This is mentioned in the Amidar manual.)

Sears Video Arcade owners... If you wish to start the game at level 1, set the difficulty switch at Expert; if you wish to start at level 3, set it at Novice.

Sorry for the confusion.

Man, it took me a few reads to finally understand the whole difficulty thing (my brain is slowing in my old age.) :)

12,128. What sucks is that I actually finished the level, as you can see, but I died during the delay, waiting for the last piece to actually fill in. Bummer. :(

Here's a tip: It looks like you can only have 3 lives in reserve (correct me if I'm wrong.) Also, you get an extra life for completing the level. So, if you've got all your lives and you've used all of your jumps. Kill yourself before you finish the level. You'll start your 2nd life with 4 new jumps. Finish the level (without dying again) and you've got all your lives back. :)

post-9712-1175291380_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

26,812! Here's a good tip for you.

I find it very easy to avoid the pigs/warriors by going left/right as much as possible. Of course you can't complete the levels without going up and down, but I start each level by going straight across each row (as much as possible.) The only time I shy away from this strategy is if I know I can clear some of the board (see 1st pic.) Otherwise, I try to make the board look like the second screenshot.

If you see a baddie coming toward you, make sure there's an intersection between you and him. He'll turn off and you can continue across. Always give them the right of way and you'll survive much longer!

post-9712-1175372633_thumb.png

post-9712-1175372900_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

In case you didnt notice the enemies have a distinct movement - 1 goes around the outside edge constantly - all the others will *have* to take the nearest ladder no matter what - They will attempt to chase you but they cannot skip a ladder - makes it easier to predict your escape route if possible.