IGNORED

SIO2PC USB Adapter

remowilliams

Very nice! Isn't this a mod that been in development? Is that an official release, a proto or something you made yourself? looking closer it must be an official release or a finalized proto since it's a professionally printed board it looks like. The pictures slightly too blurry to read the printed text.

Edited by Gunstar

I just upgraded my motherboard on my PC and have no rs232 port, did not even think to look!. I bought this adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Has anyone else done this? Still waiting for it to arrive.

I use one of these all the time on my laptop when I need RS-232. I have never had any problems with it but I suspect it would not be as responsive as a real RS-232 port. My guess is that if I were programming some old PLC's using DOS programs in a window, I might have some timiing issues but so far so good.

Very nice! Isn't this a mod that been in development? Is that an official release, a proto or something you made yourself?

Yes this is the SIO2USB adapter that has been in the works. No I definitely did not make it :)

I'd ponder that perhaps Stephen Tucker could tell us what it is...

Ahh, good guess! He certainly could :D I'm doing some testing of the device for Steve. So far I can say - it rocks! :cool:

Not to be confused with the SIO2USB device coming from ABBUC, which has a host controller for attaching USB storage and is more similar to the SIO2SD device.

In fact I will probably just end up calling this a 'SIO2PC USB Adapter' or something similar to avoid confusion.

Steve

Howdy Steve

How about "SIO2PCviaUSB"?

Will it work on Apple computers?

How hard would it be, to stuff something like 1050toPC inthere as well as SIO2PC? That way, you cou use one interface for both SIO2PC and 1050toPC. Maybe even without unplugging stuff or switching things via hardware. The PC would be like a drive to the Atari and the Atari drives would be like PC drives to the PC.

Greetings

Mathy

Howdy Steve

How about "SIO2PCviaUSB"?

As long as nobody is confused, I'm OK with it. :)

Will it work on Apple computers?

Yes, it is a normal full speed USB peripheral, but there is no software on OSX to operate it at this point. After the initial release I will publish some libusb code that will allow people to write software for other platforms or integrate the adapter into existing sio2pc programs like AtariSIO without having to write kernel drivers.

How hard would it be, to stuff something like 1050toPC inthere as well as SIO2PC? That way, you cou use one interface for both SIO2PC and 1050toPC. Maybe even without unplugging stuff or switching things via hardware. The PC would be like a drive to the Atari and the Atari drives would be like PC drives to the PC.

The interface has the same combined APE/ProSystem layout as the regular SIO2PC Universal Adapter I sell, so it can switch from SIO2PC to ProSystem/10502PC mode under software control.

All the power is drawn from the USB bus, so it can be used without any Atari computer attached if you are just directly accessing drives. :)

Thanks

Steve

This looks pretty cool... will it also be able to emulate concurrent mode like the SIO2PC does (via R-Verter or SX212 driver on the Atari)?

Yes, all the function of APE are currently working including R: support, plus a few new goodies that are not possible with the regular rs232 setup.

Steve

Not to be confused with the SIO2USB device coming from ABBUC, which has a host controller for attaching USB storage and is more similar to the SIO2SD device.

In fact I will probably just end up calling this a 'SIO2PC USB Adapter' or something similar to avoid confusion.

Steve

You utter bastard, I just broke down and purchased the SIO2PC from you and now I see this... I hate you :D :D :D

Interesting beta tester screen shot, APE on OSX via Parallels, working fine with the USB adapter. :)

Steve

That is interesting! I had not heard about "Parallels." Does the tester get good performance out of the USB adapter with this setup?

-Larry

That is interesting! I had not heard about "Parallels." Does the tester get good performance out of the USB adapter with this setup?

-Larry

So far what I've heard is positive, maybe he can chime in on this with more specific information.

My own experience using it under VMWare virtualization has been very good, much better than trying to use the rs232 adapter with the same setup.

My own tests have been Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista on Windows XP though, not with OSX as the host.

Steve

-Larry

So far what I've heard is positive, maybe he can chime in on this with more specific information.

My own experience using it under VMWare virtualization has been very good, much better than trying to use the rs232 adapter with the same setup.

My own tests have been Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista on Windows XP though, not with OSX as the host.

Steve

Gimme one! :)

I LOVE your sio2pc as is, but USB? GIMME GIMME GIMME! :)

I'll pay for a beta test board at regular retail! :)

Oh, oh. My bank account doesn't like the sound of that. What new goodies? :D

I'll try to come up with a list soon. The most obvious changes so far are:

Gets ride of the hard real-time requirement for host computer. So it works well in emulation, slow systems, etc. If your system is extremely slow or busy you wont get SIO errors, it will just read/write a little more slowly. Software can be implemented without any device drivers using UMDF or libraries like libusb.

Supports all Pokey baud rates. SIO2PC via the RS232 port is limited to pokey divisors 0x28, 0x10 and 0x08, 1x, 2x and 3x sio respectively. For example here is a short test video of a disk copy at a pokey rate above 3x sio:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=68...63655&hl=en

Cassette motor control support.

So far most of the work has been making it a suitable replacement for the rs232 adapter, but the firmware is field upgradeable so more features can be added as things progress.

Steve

I wish I could, all the prototypes are already out being poked with hot irons, but I'll probably be able to start pre-ordering later this month. :)

Steve

Will it work on the old USB or is it USB 2.0? I ask because I'm using a POS win98 SP1 machine that has issues with certain USB devices.

If you can implement Motor control is it possible to also have a program that would read from the cassete to make CAS files directly from tape?

Oh and can I return the brand new SIO2PC I just purchased from you on ebay for a credit toward this :D Just kidding... But speaking of, do you have a price range in mind yet?

Thanks

I wish I could, all the prototypes are already out being poked with hot irons, but I'll probably be able to start pre-ordering later this month. :)

Steve

Please say it incorporates a port of the opera browser! :)

HAHAHAHA!

CASSETTE MOTOR CONTROL! Holy sheep poo! AWESOME!

I can only image how difficult it is to incorporate all this. Then again, to you its probably much easier than I think.

I invision Sio2PC having a LONG life. Down the road it could evolve radically to be a crazy 850 style box with usb / cf / int ide space! For now though, USB

is a great idea. In just a few years, serial will be phased out completely on modern motherboards. Heck its happening now!

:)

Supports all Pokey baud rates. SIO2PC via the RS232 port is limited to pokey divisors 0x28, 0x10 and 0x08, 1x, 2x and 3x sio respectively. For example here is a short test video of a disk copy at a pokey rate above 3x sio:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=68...63655&hl=en

Steve

Wow - that is insanely fast. I didn't know the machine vould transfer data at that rate - is it always reliable at that speed?

Stephen Anderson