IGNORED

Care Bears

Foxsolo2000

A screenshot is floating around out there, so someone has the rom I suspect. Of course they may not feel like sharing it since this is hardly "2600 Game of the Year" material (ooo! a half finished kids game!). Then again, some of us are eager just to see any new 2600 prototype.

Tempest

Well the ROM is out there too since I have it on my CC2. I don't remember where I downloaded it from, might have the DP boards.

Mitch

Can you post it please?

Tempest

Here it is, not very exciting though.

Mitch

Hmm... So all they do is slowly move? No interaction or anything? Oh well, it's still interesting (and my write-up will be pretty short!).

Thanks for sharing!

Tempest

Well the ROM is out there too since I have it on my CC2. I don't remember where I downloaded it from, might have the DP boards.

Mitch

Can you post it please?

Tempest

Here it is, not very exciting though.

Mitch

Hmm... So all they do is slowly move? No interaction or anything? Oh well, it's still interesting (and my write-up will be pretty short!).

Thanks for sharing!

Tempest

I was hoping for more game play also. My kids have tons of carebears. Oh well, they will have to keep playing the Gameboy CareBear game.

My wife owns every single Care Bear released in the 80's line. I'm going to go tell her right now that there was a Care Bears Atari game. Then i'm going to tell her it's just an unplayable prototype, and laugh maniacally. Aahh, ruining people's day.... :evil:

I do know when I talked to Laura Nikolich on the phone a few years ago she mentioned she thought she had this prototype "rattling around somewhere in her basement" (That's what she told me at least). I do believe there was a thread on DP where someone did manage to buy the proto off of her along with some others. I'm too lazy to do a search, but the person mentioned something about Care Bears there I think.

Funny to see an almost unknown prototype ROM pop-up like this.

It's the attention that makes the hype.

Thanks for sharing!

8)

My wife owns every single Care Bear released in the 80's line. I'm going to go tell her right now that there was a Care Bears Atari game. Then i'm going to tell her it's just an unplayable prototype, and laugh maniacally. Aahh, ruining people's day.... :evil:

hey, it's playable!! You can move the carebear left and right on the screen :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Its funny how Parker Bros. decided that this game was not fun enough and too boring to continue development.....yet they develop and release Strawberry Shortcake which is..................ummmm.........fun?

I would expect licensing agreements to have a major impact on such decisions. For example, if they've already put a non-refundable payment for a license, they may push ahead with a mediocre game in the hopes of recouping some of the licensing fees paid. By contrast, if abandoning development would mean they would either avoid license fees or else receive a refund of fees paid, that may be the more attractive option.

Tempest, the writeup is okay..minus one problem I had when reading it.

I know that you and I and some of the others here know who Laura is...but your writeup doesn't make this clear. In fact, this is the first sentence in your writeup in which you even mention her...

"According to Laura, part of the reason Care Bears was killed off was that the marketing department really didn't know what they wanted."

The problem here is that you write the sentence as if the reader knows who Laura is. Aside from the fact that she is listed above as the programmer, that should still be mentioned in the write up.

Otherwise the response from your reader will initially be..."Who is Laura? And why do we care that she knows anything about this Care Bears rom?"

You can ignore my advise...but I think you should mention Laura's importance in the writeup so that her name just doesn't appear out of the air as your reading.