Photo

Tips/Tricks/Products Used In Restoration

155 replies to this topic

#151 Scyzor OFFLINE  

Scyzor

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 PM

Is there any way to restore red ATARI badge on XE version? I'm looking to get it from a faded out state to closes red color as possible.

#152 Zap! OFFLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• 1,449 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:09 PM

Although I've never restored an Atari 8-bit computer (at least until Friday, when the 800XL arrives in the mail), I have restored many other systems, such as an Atari Mega and hard drive, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, Atari 1050 DD, many, many controllers, etc.

What I would like to say first is that "Goo Gone" has never been necessary with me. 91% or above peroxide gets off anything sticky if used correctly. Here's what I do to clean THE OUTSIDE ONLY (the inside is a whole new ballgame that can be detailed in another post):

1) Disassemble everything first. Take pictures so that you know exactly what goes where. This will help you tremendously.

2) After it is apart, make sure there are no electrical components still connected. If there are stickers, remove them with 91% or above peroxide. Pour it on top of the sticker and on a towel. Wipe until it's all off (and it will come all off). Now, put the casing it in the sink with the drain plug in. Make sure you're wearing white, or at the very least old clothing, because you may splash. Pour two cups of bleach (yes, bleach, don't listen to the naysayers, it brings out the best in coloring, while killing any and all possible germs) all over it. Wait two minutes, and fill with warm water and detergent, making sure the system is fully submerged. Let it sit for 30 minutes.

3) Get one of those scrub brushes with a handle, and pour some detergent on it. Now scrub, scrub, scrub! Get all of the cracks and crevices. Repeat on both sides.

4) Drain and rinse. If there are still scuff-marks, use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Rinse again.

5) Towel-dry as much as you can. Leave the system to dry in a dish rack until it is 100% dry. 

6) Put back together and enjoy.

Edited by Zap!, Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:11 PM.

#153 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,376 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 12:40 PM

What I would like to say first is that "Goo Gone" has never been necessary with me. 91% or above peroxide gets off anything sticky if used correctly.

I’ve seen you post this twice recently. Please tell me you mean 91% isopropyl alcohol, not peroxide! Those are two very different substances; in fact, I don’t think you can even buy peroxide of that purity without going straight to an industrial chemical supplier, and you’d probably need an environmental permit these days; that stuff is a hell of an oxidizer and can rust, corrode or outright burn almost anything it touches.

#154 Zap! OFFLINE  

Zap!

Stargunner

• 1,449 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:24 PM

I’ve seen you post this twice recently. Please tell me you mean 91% isopropyl alcohol, not peroxide! Those are two very different substances; in fact, I don’t think you can even buy peroxide of that purity without going straight to an industrial chemical supplier, and you’d probably need an environmental permit these days; that stuff is a hell of an oxidizer and can rust, corrode or outright burn almost anything it touches.

I totally meant 91% isopropyl alcohol! Damn, don't know what I was thinking, at the time of those posts it had been a while since I restored! I wish I could edit it, but AA has a unique time limit for editing. Admin or mods, please edit it to alcohol for me!

#155 Scooter83 OFFLINE  

Scooter83

Dragonstomper

• 590 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 AM

What is the best way to pop the keys off a xegs keyboard when retrobriting them. I heard of a key cap puller but is that the safest way ? Are the xegs keys harder to take off compared to the 800 and the xl line of computers?

#156 plazma OFFLINE  

plazma

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:59 AM

What is the best way to pop the keys off a xegs keyboard when retrobriting them. I heard of a key cap puller but is that the safest way ? Are the xegs keys harder to take off compared to the 800 and the xl line of computers?

Buy a cheap keycap puller from eBay. The long wire model works great. It pulls up do there is minimal stress to the plungers.b3d7120a5df3e4d15f8f365f93c47f17.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users