178 replies to this topic

#176 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,961 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:27 PM

for those trying to do full articulate restoration

---snip---

they are iridite treated brushed aluminum when coming from factory a clear plastic protective film covered them as well. depending on the factory it would be considered a chromate coating and arguments about whether it's iridite or clear alodine may ensue.....

---snip---

just to give some food for though...

https://www.finishing.com/448/95.shtml

https://www.pegasusa...nstructions.pdf

I just quick search my terms after the earlier post, I have not checked all the info these sites provide, but a skimming says close enough...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:32 PM.

#177 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

River Patroller

• 2,156 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 PM

Yes, those replacement case badges are way too thick with their plastic backing. I carefully sanded mine down last summer (800XL and 600XL) and used 3M 467 tape to attach them permanently.

Here's a before and after photo..

Very nice!  How did you sand the badge and how much did you have to sand off?  Looks great!

#178 Tezz OFFLINE  

Tezz

River Patroller

• 2,412 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 AM

Very nice!  How did you sand the badge and how much did you have to sand off?  Looks great!

To fit recessed like the original badge, the backing plastic needs to be sanded wafer thin. I did this by laying out some 400 grit on a flat surface and I placed blu tack along the top of the badge to give me something to grip to. I sanded slowly and without much pressure making sure to hold three fingers along the full length of the badge evenly to avoid the badge snagging and subsequently kinking. Luckily the backing plastic is soft and sands down quite quickly.

#179 jowi OFFLINE  

jowi

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:56 AM

Also the (600XL) case has a 0.5-1.0mm raised plateau where the badge sits; you can carefully chissle that out to lower it a bit.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users