IGNORED

Dimerco Electronics?

krypton85

I was looking at the 2600 FAQ here on AA and noticed that some sears models were made by Dimerco Electronics and the labels said this:

Mfd. for Atari Inc. by Dimerco Electronics in Taiwan for sale to

Sears, Roebuck, and Co. Serial # 82077230.

Mine is similar but does not say "for sale to Sears, Roebuck, and Co."

I don't know where there are pics of these labels but here is mine:

post-12364-1175478998_thumb.jpg

It's on a standard 2600 light sixer

• 3 years later...

I was looking at the 2600 FAQ here on AA and noticed that some sears models were made by Dimerco Electronics and the labels said this:

Mfd. for Atari Inc. by Dimerco Electronics in Taiwan for sale to

Sears, Roebuck, and Co. Serial # 82077230.

Mine is similar but does not say "for sale to Sears, Roebuck, and Co."

I don't know where there are pics of these labels but here is mine:

post-12364-1175478998_thumb.jpg

It's on a standard 2600 light sixer

Mine has the same sticker. I would also like to know what the deal is.

A quick Google search for "Dimerco Electronics" doesn't reveal anything interesting, so I guess the company isn't around anymore. I always figured it was a contractor in Taiwan that handled Atari's manufacturing for them. I've had 2600 consoles with "Manufactured by TRW Electronics" stickers, also made in Taiwan.

Wow, is AA a great place, or what?

I mean, post a question, wait a while (3-and-a-half years in this case), and someone will eventually respond! :D

Interesting (or not) that the original post was on April Fool's Day, 2007? :?: :!: :ponder:

Wow, I didn't even notice the original post date, but the label on his Atari is the same as mine, so I'm sure it wasn't a joke. Just coincidence.

• 7 years later...

I just came here looking for info on my own Dimerco Electronics made 2600.

Actually, I just saved it from my Dad's storage and looked to see if it was a Sunnyvale or what. My serial number is much lower I noticed.

Also, there's a number "340" between the label and the power socket. What does that mean?

Atari2600label dimerco

atari2600top dirty

Atari2600 340

• 4 years later...
On 7/28/2010 at 6:41 PM, jaybird3rd said:

A quick Google search for "Dimerco Electronics" doesn't reveal anything interesting, so I guess the company isn't around anymore. I always figured it was a contractor in Taiwan that handled Atari's manufacturing for them. I've had 2600 consoles with "Manufactured by TRW Electronics" stickers, also made in Taiwan.

It was probably one of many small shops that took on assembly work. They still exist in Taiwan and S. Korea today, often times in the back room of small electronics shops that are all over the place. Sometimes you even see the cashier building things like cable assemblies and such between sales. Pretty interesting to see this. The output of their little jobs end up all over the world.

I also spent some time in an old warehouse in the Taipei port once inspecting and consolidating a bunch of semiconductor equipment and parts I bought. Turns out it was the Tatung customs clearance warehouse for everything they exported in the 70's and 80's, so, in some weird way, I had a connection. The desk fans we had as kids probably went through this warehouse. I still have it, but now it is in my shop and still works.

If you are an electronics hobbyist, and ever get the chance to travel to Taiwan, you will be amazed at all the little electronics shops, and what is funny, they all carry the parts in bulk that we used to get at radio shack, like push buttons, and such, and all those "home-made" looking apple II peripherals from the 70's all share these parts too. I'd bet Radio shack parts were packaged in these types of places, Like a Taiwan verison of work from home assembly jobs they used to advertise in the back of popular mechanics and such.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 3