IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 49: Polaris

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You're the commander of a Polaris class nuclear submarine. Your mission is to defend your country from enemy attack.

War has been declared and you find yourself deep in enemy water with no help. In your battle, you will be required to defend against wave after wave of enemy planes and dive bombers. To make things worse, the enemy has sent their own subs and destroyers. in the course of your battles, you will need to maneuver through dangerous channels full of mines. Don't expect a short war and the battles get rougher, how many of the enemy can you destroy before they get you.

Game Information

• Game Name: Polaris
  • Released By: Tigervision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Cybergoth

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, April 12th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 143,000 (The MindMaster) [+11]
  2. 141,100 (rheffera) [+10]
  3. 126,800 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
  4. 101,800 (Cybergoth) [+8]
  5. 98,900 (Nathan Strum) [+7]
  6. 34,200 (Nognir) [+6]
  7. 28,000 (SpiceWare) [+5]
  8. 24,300 (johnnywc) [+4]
  9. 20,900 (Deteacher) [+3]
  10. 19,700 (Goochman) [+2]
  11. 19,600 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  12. 14,700 (JimboGames) [+1]
    14,700 (scogey) [+1]
  13. 6800 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  14. 5300 (ewing92) [+1]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted.

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 3200 (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Whoops! Due to some mistakes I made in the scoring for Amidar, the list of scores that WAS in this thread was completely wrong for pretty much anyone who participated in Amidar. To avoid confusion, I've removed it entirely. Please see the most recent thread for correct scores, and if you still think I've made some mistake, please let me know so I can make any necessary changes!

Scoring Points in Polaris

• BOMBER SQUADRON: Point value varies by altitude; top plane 300 points, middle two planes 200 points each and bottom two planes 100 points each.
  • ENEMY SUBMARINES: Point value varies by depth; top sub = 100 points, middle = 200 points, bottom = 300 points.
  • ENEMY DESTROYER: 800 points.
  • DIVE BOMBER: 1000 points.
  • CHANNEL MINES: 300 points each.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has both a scanned and a typed copy online for your reading pleasure. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any specific hints in it.
My tip - get in the habit of shooting the enemy subs as soon as you can, or you'll be in trouble.
Tips:

- Do the subs first, indeed. From the bottom upwards.

- For shooting the last plane, move to the right third of the screen, so you have a good first chance against the bomber.

- Slow down for the mines. Shoot as many as you can for a higher score.

TIP: When the road before you splits in two, take the right hand path for a easier mine hunting voyage.
A few tips:

* Start firing immediately at the end of the mine level. You're bound to take out one or two planes when the next level begins.

* The destroyer comes out when two sets of enemy bombs have fallen to the bottom of the screen. Keep an eye on the bombs, so you know when the destroyer is about to appear. (You could use this to pile up a lot of points, but that would be cheating. :P )

* Rapidly fire going through the mines. Apparently, your sub is equipped with a Quark laser (see: Gorf), so you can rapid fire short bursts, and clear the mines out ahead of you without really having to aim.

* Be careful when going slow in the mine levels - you still move back and forth at full speed, and it's very easy to slam into a river bank. Go straight ahead as much as possible, and move back and forth only as necessary. If you rapid fire as mentioned above, you don't have to move around so much.

* When shooting planes, the last one you leave alive should be flying left to right. That way, when you move over to the right third of the screen to shoot the dive bomber, it's easier to hit that last plane.

* When the dive bomber comes out, stay near the top of the water. His shot will come down to your level, then head towards you. This gives you the chance to dive underneath it, if you didn't shoot the plane right away.

* There's just enough of a gap between the bottom of the screen and the lowest enemy sub for you to fit your submarine through.

* When starting the bomber level, stay to the left, and let the planes drop their bombs. Then immediately head to the right and through that gap to take out the submarines.

* Don't run into a sub's explosion. It will kill you.

* You don't have to shoot the mines. Practice going between them (or in some cases, around them). Sometimes it's easier than trying to shoot them. You can go between them even at their fastest speed.

* You can use the river bank to auto-fire your torpedoes. If there are mines between you and a river bank, just hold down the fire button and wait for a mine to drift into your line of fire.

--Zero

maybe i'll give it more of a chance later, you guys say it's pretty good so i'll trust your word. Lol, i hate when you die you have to wait for the planes to drop a bomb on you before you get your next life....

3200....just to hold my place.....

5,300!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9,200 8) YEAH.....!!!

I hate it, i really, really hate this game, i couldn't think of anything worse than playing this game another 5 minutes.

it seems like the minefield is the hardest, then the second and third are easy, then the fourth is crazy, the helicopters move WAY to fast.

Edited by ewing92

A favourite of mine. I played this one a lot while developing Seawolf. I even considered doing vertical movement and adding the evil sub at a time. And I ripped the "ping" from it :ponder:

(Eh... and while we're at it, the second screen almost could work for a game like, say Salmon Run or so ;))

I suggest giving it a fair chance. It has some changes in pace that keep it interesting even in higher levels.

Warm-Up Score: 47.100 :)

Tips:

- Do the subs first, indeed. From the bottom upwards.

- For shooting the last plane, move to the right third of the screen,

so you have a good first chance against the bomber.

- Slow down for the mines. Shoot as many as you can for a higher score

This game SUCKS! OMFG this game is trash, this is almost as bad as WallBall.....

3200....just to hold my place.....

edit:No, i had much more fun out of WallBall than i did this piece of shit....

edit again:no, screw that, i'm not torturing myself by playing this game any more, 3200 is my final score.

LOL! Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel. :)

I played it a little bit yesterday. While it does have a slow start, it appears to get harder when you get to the 3rd level. I won't have much time to invest in this one this week, but I'll post a score later.