IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 50: Ice Hockey

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Hello out there, we're on the air,

It's hockey night tonight;

Tension grows, the whistle blows,

And the puck goes down the ice.

The goalie jumps, and the players bump,

The fans all go insane;

Someone roars, "Bobby scores!",

At the good old hockey game.

Oh! The good old hockey game,

Is the best game you can name;

And the best game you can name,

Is Activision's Ice Hockey game!

(Note that for scoring this week, scores will be ranked first by number of goals, and then by goal differential)

Game Information

• Game Name: Ice Hockey
  • Released By: Activision, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - No Handicap
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - No Handicap
  • Game Mode: Game 3 - 1 Player, High-Speed Action
  • Chosen By: Deteacher

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, April 19th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 51-4 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. 45-2 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 42-2 (Zoyx) [+9]
  4. 35-1 (Nathan Strum) [+8]
  5. 33-3 (johnnywc) [+7]
  6. 26-6 (Recycled) [+6]
  7. 25-3 (Nognir) [+5]
  8. 24-8 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 23-6 (Captain Beard) [+3]
  10. 19-4 (vdub_bobby) [+2]
  11. 16-6 (SpiceWare) [+1]
  12. 16-11 (JimboGames) [+1]
  13. 12-5 (Krytol) [+1]
  14. 12-8 (Goochman) [+1]
  15. 12-9 (ewing92) [+1]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Biggest Shutout - Get the more one-sided shutout, and get 5 of Nathan Strum's points!
    • 33-0 (Nathan Strum) (so he keeps his 5 points)
    • 31-0 (johnnywc)

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 3, Difficulty B)
  1. 14 goal differential (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [501]
  2. SpiceWare [342]
  3. Deteacher [322]
  4. vdub_bobby [181]
  5. LarcenTyler [178]
  6. keilbaca [175]
  7. rheffera [155]
  8. Nathan Strum [148]
  9. Goochman [112]
  10. scogey [97]
  11. johnnywc [82]
  12. the 5th ghost [87]
  13. Cybergoth [81]
  14. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  15. shadow460 [79]
  16. BrianC [78]
  17. shawnb [71]
  18. Christophero Sly [70]
  19. atari2600land [70]
  20. Malc74 [63]
  21. Zoyx [54]
  22. Recycled [46]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. The MindMaster [33]
  27. ewing92 [31]
  28. Jred [26]
  29. Crazy Climber [26]
  30. Captain Beard [23]
  31. doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • Nognir [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • JimboGames [3]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Ice Hockey

• If the puck goes in your opponents net, you score a point.
  • If the puck goes in your own net, your opponent scores a point.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has both a scanned and a typed copy online for your reading pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:

- You really have to be quick right from the face-off. The player who controls the puck most often will wil the game. When you're on defense, don't be too eager to bring your goalie too far out of his net. A smart forward might try for an easy goal by angling his shot off the boards.

- And here's a tip you might not discover, even after hours of ice time. When a loose puck is captured, it's automatically placed on the inside corner of your stick. So, as soon as the puck hits your stick, you can launch an extremely angled shot and surprise your opponent.

Some tips:

* Immediately start each face-off holding the fire button, and moving down and to the right. This will often allow you to knock the puck away immediately.

* If the other player gets the puck at face-off, you can often just move a little towards him while still holding the fire button, and knock the puck off the end of his stick.

* In both cases, the puck will usually head to the lower left part of the screen. Be prepared to head down there and grab it, then move in for the score.

* Use the walls. Learn to bounce the puck around your opponents and into the goal. If you get the angles right, even your goalie can score from across the rink.

* Use the fact that there is only one "active" player at a time to your advantage. You can fake one of their players out of position by skating near them with the puck, then move away from them so the other player becomes active, stranding the first player so they can't score or defend their goal.

* Be careful not to leave one of your players out of position when the active player switches.

* Keep your goalie right up near your goal at all times. The opposing team can score a lucky shot if you're out of position there.

* If your goalie is battling right in front of your goal when the other team is trying to score, don't try to knock the puck away. It's better to keep your stick in front of you to try and catch it when they shoot instead. Otherwise, they'll be able to shoot right past you while you're swinging. (But if you're off to the side - swing away!)

* Once your goalie gets the puck, move off to the side and pass it down to your other player. But as soon as you shoot it, move the goalie back towards the middle of the goal, before your other player becomes active.

* Sometimes, the other team will shoot an errant shot that will bounce all the way around the rink and score against itself. So keep an eye on the puck, and if you don't need to intercept it, just let it go.

* Knocking the other players down is fun! And it can also give you a strategic advantage. But don't waste time trying to do it, unless the puck is in a relatively safe place on screen. (That is, don't go after a player if they don't have the puck in their possession, and don't use your goalie to knock down the other player if he's trying to score off you.)

* Practice shooting the puck from all angles off of your stick. This is key to shooting around your opponents and scoring.

* To score more goals in less time, sometimes you need to just let the computer score when it gets the puck, instead of wasting time trying to defend against it.

* There are patterns in this game. In a face-off, the puck always launches in one of several pre-determined directions. Learn how to counter each one. The computer opponent always responds to them (and you) the same way.

In case there are some that are saying "How do you guys get such high scores!" Here are a couple more tips.

There are only so many patterns at the face offs. Learn how to use each face off pattern to your advantage. It's possible to score a goal in as little as 1 second in certain situations.

Learn to anticipate where the puck is going to be and go to that spot, rather than chasing after the puck. If the puck is headed toward the bottom left corner on the face off, instead of chasing it, figure out where it's going to bounce off. Go around the goalie, take the puck and score a quick goal.

Also, learn how to score goals with your goalie. The computer goalie doesn't stay "in the crease", so figure out how to use your goalie to shoot wide angle shots around him.

Here's how to get the 1-second goal (Best tip out there, BTW.) ;)

This only works when the puck comes to you on the face off. As soon as you grab the puck, move down and to the left. Keep moving at this angle and once the puck is on the edge of your stick, shoot. The puck will bounce off the left side and go into the goal, just out of reach of the goalie. See this picture.

It takes a little practice and the timing has to be just right. Once you get this down, you'll be scoring 1-second goals every time the puck comes to you on every faceoff. That oughta boost some scores! :)

--Zero

*throwing score up on the board* 4 5 lol it was the first round i played, lay off 8)

6 8

7 10

12 11

12 9

this game is actually good :)

Ze_ro, you accidently put 31 instead of 33 for my total score, not a big deal tho.

Edited by ewing92

This will do for a start...

25-2

post-2641-1176407771_thumb.jpg

Some tips:

• Immediately start each face-off holding the fire button, and moving down and to the right. This will often allow you to knock the puck away immediately.
  • If the other player gets the puck at face-off, you can often just move a little towards him while still holding the fire button, and knock the puck off the end of his stick.
  • In both cases, the puck will usually head to the lower left part of the screen. Be prepared to head down there and grab it, then move in for the score.
  • Use the walls. Learn to bounce the puck around your opponents and into the goal. If you get the angles right, even your goalie can score from across the rink.
  • Use the fact that there is only one "active" player at a time to your advantage. You can fake one of their players out of position by skating near them with the puck, then move away from them so the other player becomes active, stranding the first player so they can't score or defend their goal.
  • Be careful not to leave one of your players out of position when the active player switches.
  • Keep your goalie right up near your goal at all times. The opposing team can score a lucky shot if you're out of position there.
  • If your goalie is battling right in front of your goal when the other team is trying to score, don't try to knock the puck away. It's better to keep your stick in front of you to try and catch it when they shoot instead. Otherwise, they'll be able to shoot right past you while you're swinging. (But if you're off to the side - swing away!)
  • Once your goalie gets the puck, move off to the side and pass it down to your other player. But as soon as you shoot it, move the goalie back towards the middle of the goal, before your other player becomes active.
  • Sometimes, the other team will shoot an errant shot that will bounce all the way around the rink and score against itself. So keep an eye on the puck, and if you don't need to intercept it, just let it go.
  • Knocking the other players down is fun! And it can also give you a strategic advantage. But don't waste time trying to do it, unless the puck is in a relatively safe place on screen. (That is, don't go after a player if they don't have the puck in their possession, and don't use your goalie to knock down the other player if he's trying to score off you.)
  • Practice shooting the puck from all angles off of your stick. This is key to shooting around your opponents and scoring.

30-5

post-2641-1176449450_thumb.jpg

One point away from my personal best! :D

Another tip:

• There are patterns in this game. In a face-off, the puck always launches in one of several pre-determined directions. Learn how to counter each one. The computer opponent always responds to them (and you) the same way.

Edited by Nathan Strum

MY GAME WAS PICKED!!! YAY!!!! :D

31-3! I thought I had the high score so far, until I saw 33-3. I'll keep on it, though.

In case there are some that are saying "How do you guys get such high scores!" Here are a couple more tips.

There are only so many patterns at the face offs. Learn how to use each face off pattern to your advantage. It's possible to score a goal in as little as 1 second in certain situations.

Learn to anticipate where the puck is going to be and go to that spot, rather than chasing after the puck. If the puck is headed toward the bottom left corner on the face off, instead of chasing it, figure out where it's going to bounce off. Go around the goalie, take the puck and score a quick goal.

Also, learn how to score goals with your goalie. The computer goalie doesn't stay "in the crease", so figure out how to use your goalie to shoot wide angle shots around him.

I had one game earlier where I had 20 goals with 1:45 remaining. I lost the rhythm and just ended up starting over, though. With a little luck, I'm sure someone could break 40 goals before the week is out. :)

post-9712-1176489270_thumb.jpg

And the 40 point barrier has been broken! 45-7.

:-o

I apparently need to practice more. The best I managed was 7 goals in 20 seconds at the beginning of one game, but couldn't keep up the pace.

(Now then... how much can you score keeping the computer to zero goals?) ;)

Edited by Nathan Strum

And the 40 point barrier has been broken! 45-7.

:-o

I apparently need to practice more. The best I managed was 7 goals in 20 seconds at the beginning of one game, but couldn't keep up the pace.

(Now then... how much can you score keeping the computer to zero goals?) ;)

I think I had about 14 goals before the computer scored. I lucked out because I got many faceoffs directly to me (which allowed me to score the 1-second goal.) I don't know if I can improve on the score, but maybe I can cut down on the goal differential. :cool:

I think I had about 14 goals before the computer scored. I lucked out because I got many faceoffs directly to me (which allowed me to score the 1-second goal.) I don't know if I can improve on the score, but maybe I can cut down on the goal differential. :cool:

The best I've managed is a 2-second goal. How do you get the 1-second ones?