IGNORED

PS3 Camera

CPUWIZ

Sony was nice enough to give everyone that attended the devcon, the new PS3 camera (will probably hit the market soon). It has a wide angle lense and 4 built-in microphones, I believe it is 4 times the resolution of the original eye-toy and captures at double the speed (60 fps).

Just though I'd share, for the 3 people who care, here are some pics...

PS3Eye0.jpg

PS3Eye1.jpg

Pretty cool. I never found anything that made it worth getting the original eye-toy, hopefully this time will be different. Any word on MSRP?

-T

I actually like the Eye-Toy. :) Wish I had more games for it. It's not quite teh Wii and it's sensor remotes but still cool as a toy in it's own rights. I'm going to try the Eye Toy/ DDR workout to lose the last 10 lbs of "baby weight". I actually am only about 4lbs over my original weight from when I got pregnant but I'd like to get back to (or under) 120lbs again.

That camera is really cool! How's it work or for what games? I guess I'm person #2 even though we don't have a PS3, lol.

Sony was nice enough to give everyone that attended the devcon, the new PS3 camera (will probably hit the market soon). It has a wide angle lense and 4 built-in microphones, I believe it is 4 times the resolution of the original eye-toy and captures at double the speed (60 fps).

I think the EyeToy is a cool idea, but the biggest limitation is having enough lighting to make it work. Maybe they should inculde a light on top of it or something.

Four Microphones? Why? Will it be able to tell where you are by voice? Or is this just to make sure it hears you or something? (would be kinda cool to have an online vs Itoy type game with 3D audio or something...maybe)

I think the EyeToy is a cool idea, but the biggest limitation is having enough lighting to make it work. Maybe they should inculde a light on top of it or something.

I loved the Itoy, the biggest problem for me was haveing the room to flop around (same reason I've not considered a Wii, even though it looks kinda cool)

As for lighting, I found it really didn't matter, you either need yourself light up and the BG dark, or the BG lit up and yourself dark, both of which are easily done with a couple small lamps.

I still want to get a few more games for this thing though.

It seems that with the much higher resolution of the new EyeToy and the processing power of the PS3, developers should be able to make games that can track your movements much better than any currently available motion controller. They could have golf, tennis, bowling and other fun games, without any controllers thrown through tv's. :lol:

Hey CPU? Do you have the 360 camera? Or have you seen a side by side comparison? From what I have read, the PS3 camera kicks all kinds of ass and just wondered about a first hand opinion of the two compared.

I don't, but I think we have a few at work, I haven't even had time to plug this one in. LOL

Pretty cool. I never found anything that made it worth getting the original eye-toy, hopefully this time will be different. Any word on MSRP?

-T

I actually like the Eye-Toy. :) Wish I had more games for it. It's not quite teh Wii and it's sensor remotes but still cool as a toy in it's own rights. I'm going to try the Eye Toy/ DDR workout to lose the last 10 lbs of "baby weight". I actually am only about 4lbs over my original weight from when I got pregnant but I'd like to get back to (or under) 120lbs again.

That camera is really cool! How's it work or for what games? I guess I'm person #2 even though we don't have a PS3, lol.

Hmm, never heard about the Eye-toy/DDR thing. I'll have to check that out now that I can probably pick one up for cheap.

-T

Well, I did just test the thing with the PS3's builtin "Test Camera" function, the thing is fast and I noticed that it produces a lot brighter image than the original eye-toy (it was almost dark in the room).

One of the games that was specifically designed for the EyeToy Mk 2 was The Eye of Judgment. It's a battle card game similar to Yu-Gi-Oh!, which allows the player to interact with real-life cards that can be touched and held. However, when you drop them face up on a table, the camera records their positions, and the monsters on the cards spring to life! It's an immersive form of gameplay called "augmented reality", and it was previously explored in games like the unreleased Gizmondo title Catapult.

Even as one of the Playstation 3's harshest critics, I have to admit that this is an awesome concept. I'd love to see all the game companies (especially Microsoft, which hasn't been doing much with its Vision camera) explore it more thoroughly.

JR

Well, I did just test the thing with the PS3's builtin "Test Camera" function, the thing is fast and I noticed that it produces a lot brighter image than the original eye-toy (it was almost dark in the room).

Sounds awesome, I REALLY hope modified drivers comes out for this and the cam is cheap, sounds like it'll be a great buy for recording guitar hero 2 videos...