IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 51: Solar Fox

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Earth has just about had it. Centuries of waste have brought us to the brink of global war for control of what precious energy resources we have left. There's only one chance for peace - you! In a far corner of the galaxy hover vast, intricate formations of solar energy cells guarded by ominous, fireball-shooting Sentinels. Your mission is to navigate through those matrices and capture those cells! The faster your speed, the greater your reward. Your Starships utilize advanced gyro-directional technology, but the only weapon you have is your skill as a pilot. And the supreme test of that skill will take place in the infamous Challenge Racks, where you'll attempt to unravel the ultimate mystery of your mission. Good luck, Solar Fox!

Game Information

• Game Name: Solar Fox
  • Released By: CBS, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice (Controls speed)
  • Right Difficulty: Your Choice (Controls speed)
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, April 26th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 999,900 (shadow460) [+11]
    999,900 (johnnywc) [+11]
  2. 815,600 (Cybergoth) [+10]
  3. 728,200 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 672,600 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 667,200 (Rom Hunter) [+7]
  6. 451,800 (Recycled) [+6]
  7. 215,400 (rheffera) [+5]
  8. 213,900 (Captain Beard) [+4]
  9. 179,800 (Zoyx) [+3]
  10. 100,800 (vdub_bobby) [+2]
  11. 70,600 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 64,400 (Nathan Strum) [+1]
  13. 36,400 (Goochman) [+1]
  14. 21,000 (scogey) [+1]

Best Tips

• shadow460 [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 1,678,000 (Robert T Mruczek)
  2. 1,406,400 (Todd Rogers)
  3. 663,900 (Giovanni Flamand) (Emulator)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Coming Soon!

Scoring Points in Solar Fox

• Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy online for your reading pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:

- Learn to use and rely upon your speed control button. It may be the only thing that stands between you and many a deadly collision.

- Avoid hovering around the matrix perimeters for too long. The sentinels will quickly sense your presence.

- To save time, try to pick up as many cells as possible in a single direction before turning a corner to avoid a fireball.

Ok, these tips might go without saying, but here you go:

Try to work in the opposite corners from the baddies. This gives you more room to work.

Also, only go to the top and bottom when you absolutely have to. If you're going from one side of the screen to the other, fly through the middle.

Don't obsess about trying to skip a rack. It's not worth risking the life. You'll score more points in the long run by playing smart. If the "skip a rack" bar is almost gone, don't make a risky move just to get the bonus points. Smart playing will get you much further in this game, IMO.

I set the switch to A for fast speed and never slowed down. I also skipped racks consistently--the Skip A Rack timer is extremely valuable and should not be allowed to run out. Sure, you may have to take a risk or two, but you skip the next, possibly far more difficult stage, and you still get all the points for it--free. It also means one less rack until you get an extra ship. You get an extra ship for each time you pass ten racks, so if you skip five of those ten, you only have to complete five racks for an extra life.

I also nailed challenges consistently, spelling out five letters before yielding up the ghost.

Forgot to mention a couple of other things:

First, work in patterns. Divide the board up into small sections mentally, and have two or three patterns that can take you through a certain section. They need to be simple patterns, like circling a six square radius twice, or taking a horizontal line left to right, then right to left. When fireballs approach, switch patterns and keep crossing the energy thingies.

Patterns work with long vertical runs as well, and there are usually a lot safer than long horizontal runs.

Watch for patterns in the fireballs that will trap you into a corner. Getting out is easy--unless the other sentinel takes a couple of well placed shots.

Try to predict when the sentinels will fire, and assume the worst. Never lead a sentinel into the corner.

NEVER cross the top or bottom lines horizontally. You WILL lose a life in this process.

Try to memorize the first couple of challenge racks. Hey, they are free points and the sentinels don't shoot back. If you get off course in a challenge rack, reverse and keep trying. The timer is short, but not completely unforgiving.

You must be willing to leave a section incomplete and go work on another section, then come back when the coast is clear. This keeps you working on clearing the board, which is vital to skip racks and get the extra lives faster.

--Zero

First respectable score: 150,700.

I'm playing on emu right now. I've got the actual game, but I haven't been able to get to my Atari yet. This weekend, I'll break out the real deal and see if I can't improve on this. :)

Ok, these tips might go without saying, but here you go:

Try to work in the opposite corners from the baddies. This gives you more room to work.

Also, only go to the top and bottom when you absolutely have to. If you're going from one side of the screen to the other, fly through the middle.

Don't obsess about trying to skip a rack. It's not worth risking the life. You'll score more points in the long run by playing smart. If the "skip a rack" bar is almost gone, don't make a risky move just to get the bonus points. Smart playing will get you much further in this game, IMO.

567300 on the very first try. I set the switch to A for fast speed and never slowed down. I also skipped racks consistently--the Skip A Rack timer is extremely valuable and should not be allowed to run out. Sure, you may have to take a risk or two, but you skip the next, possibly far more difficult stage, and you still get all the points for it--free. It also means one less rack until you get an extra ship. You get an extra ship for each time you pass ten racks, so if you skip five of those ten, you only have to complete five racks for an extra life.

I also nailed challenges consistently, spelling out five letters before yielding up the ghost.

post-7210-1177133413_thumb.jpg