IGNORED

Eerievale

sciarpo

Its hard to day if it wil be a big surprise or a let down for two reasons...

a) most people have not see enough if it to come to a definate conclusion one way or the other

b) one persons big surprise can be anothers let down as its relative to the type of game and control system an individual likes.

What I will say is that although limited in terms of playable area I was impressed with the demo on the Ocean Depths CD, perhaps the best thing for you to do at this time if you have not already done so is to either get hold of a copy of Ocean Depths or get along to an Atari show near you and ask someone to bring a copy along so you can see it and decided for yourself.

If and when this does come out(I'm holding my breath on this one), is it going to be any good? Or after all the hype- is this going to be a big letdown or a great surprise?

That´s a bit of an odd question. How would anyone know?

If you like the genre, chances are you´ll like it more than if you hate that particular genre.

There are two Eerievale Demos released by Starcat so far Ocean Depths & Lost Treasures the one on LT is farther along, he said the engine and graphics are more developed. He recently said he is working on it when he has time as well as the EerieVale novel and that he is determined to finish the game and it will be on the JaguarCF Compact Flash unit to be released by French Jaguar programmers, working with the JagWare team. Lars said, it's the only reliable and large capacity format. Considering his past difficulties with the JaguarCD and of course for such a large game cartridges are out. I suggested using the cdstop and cdopen registers for making a multiple CD title like the PSX's Final Fantasy games but he said the JagCF will have other nice functions like video streaming he can make use of.

I really doubt that Eerievale will ever make it to reality.

Too many announcements and promises made by the developper, but not much to be seen as of yet. Just words and words and words.

:(

Patience, my good man. What promises are you talking about btw?

I am far away from blaming Starcat for taking all the time he needs to finish Eerivale. But let´s face it: Starcat has different priorities now, which I completely understand. He just recently started to study game design at the university. And most certainly that activity eats up most of his time. Read through his blogs on his website and you´ll understand that in reality he is even more far away from finishing Eerivale than he ever was. This is not my view of things, just what everyone can read on his website(s) in his own words.

Hi!

It's good to see that not all have forgotten about Eerievale ;)

While jaguar_fan is right that my new study started a few months ago, he is wrong about his estimation on the Eerievale progress.

He claimed I was further away from finishing it than ever. Of course this is not the case. I am working hard on it whenever I can.

You need to know, that a few years ago I really put ever free minute into my games.

These days I have to study and work at some point, just like anybody else, which means I can not put as much time as I used to into the games, but I put as much time into Eerievale as I can. I am still as enthusiastic as ever about it and the game is still progressing well. (Which means it certainly gets more complete and not that it is futher from being finished than ever.)

Actually my study even drives the development further, as it helps me to learn important elements to improve the game as it was before.

Anyway, I'm glad you are still looking forward to the game and I can say it will be worth the waiting for every fan of adventure games. I'm still working hard on it and you can be sure that it will get finished. It's just a matter of time. Afterall those who know me better, know that Eerievale is a game I always dreamed to create. It's something I do for myself, that's why I'm so certain that it will get finished. Just a matter of time. But as you know, good things come to those who wait.

Regards, Lars.

Hi!

Do you think it will be better than the snooze-fest that is MYST? ;)

If you like classic graphic adventure games (like the Sierra or Lucas Arts games) you will love Eerievale.

Just be sure to make a cart version when ever it does come out. There are alot more core jag users than CD users, me being one of the many.

It will be on the JaguarCF not CD or cart. :D

Hi!

If you like classic graphic adventure games (like the Sierra or Lucas Arts games) you will love Eerievale. Myst may be called adventure game, but personally I wouldn't really compare it with real graphic adventure games, simply because Myst is lacking in about every important aspect of graphic adventure games. And no, I don't like Myst either ;)

Just be sure to make a cart version when ever it does come out. There are alot more core jag users than CD users, me being one of the many.

That will be an impossibility sadly. I don't create cart based games, due to the high prices for parts and equipment and due to the limited capacity. But even if I did and if I had the equipment, Eerievale would never ever fit onto a cartridge, unless you reach capacities similar to compact flash in a way.

An early PC Version of last year took over 400 MB, where you could walk a lot of ingame environments already. Uncompressed data though. Compressed it might be less. But I am sure the final game will be too large for a cartridge no matter how much I cut out of the game or how well I compress it.

Exactly. The focus for the Jag version is Compact Flash, due to the obvious reasons such as high capacity, low loading times, additional memory, streaming of data and of course much better compatibiity than CD. The PS/2 ports of the compact flash cart are a very big plus as well, as they allow proper mouse support, which is very important for adventure games.

Regards, Lars.

Hi!

It's good to see that not all have forgotten about Eerievale ;)

While jaguar_fan is right that my new study started a few months ago, he is wrong about his estimation on the Eerievale progress.

He claimed I was further away from finishing it than ever. Of course this is not the case. I am working hard on it whenever I can.

You need to know, that a few years ago I really put ever free minute into my games.

These days I have to study and work at some point, just like anybody else, which means I can not put as much time as I used to into the games, but I put as much time into Eerievale as I can. I am still as enthusiastic as ever about it and the game is still progressing well. (Which means it certainly gets more complete and not that it is futher from being finished than ever.)

Actually my study even drives the development further, as it helps me to learn important elements to improve the game as it was before.

Anyway, I'm glad you are still looking forward to the game and I can say it will be worth the waiting for every fan of adventure games. I'm still working hard on it and you can be sure that it will get finished. It's just a matter of time. Afterall those who know me better, know that Eerievale is a game I always dreamed to create. It's something I do for myself, that's why I'm so certain that it will get finished. Just a matter of time. But as you know, good things come to those who wait.

Regards, Lars.

It´s good to have these clarifications and I really hope we will see something happening soon (but I am still having a hard time to believe it will happen - soon).

Edited by jaguar_fan

Now, see, that's exactly what others were talking about in the sense that it depends what genres you like. I personally LOVE Myst, as do MILLIONS of people since it was a HIT GAME. I didn't find it to be a "snooze-fest" at all. I just wish the sequels would have made it to the Jaguar as well. I happen to have a friend who bought a Jaguar&CD just becuase of Myst, after starting it on my Jaguar, they had to have their own so they could finish it.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi!

If you like classic graphic adventure games (like the Sierra or Lucas Arts games) you will love Eerievale. Myst may be called adventure game, but personally I wouldn't really compare it with real graphic adventure games, simply because Myst is lacking in about every important aspect of graphic adventure games. And no, I don't like Myst either ;)

That will be an impossibility sadly. I don't create cart based games, due to the high prices for parts and equipment and due to the limited capacity. But even if I did and if I had the equipment, Eerievale would never ever fit onto a cartridge, unless you reach capacities similar to compact flash in a way.

An early PC Version of last year took over 400 MB, where you could walk a lot of ingame environments already. Uncompressed data though. Compressed it might be less. But I am sure the final game will be too large for a cartridge no matter how much I cut out of the game or how well I compress it.

Exactly. The focus for the Jag version is Compact Flash, due to the obvious reasons such as high capacity, low loading times, additional memory, streaming of data and of course much better compatibiity than CD. The PS/2 ports of the compact flash cart are a very big plus as well, as they allow proper mouse support, which is very important for adventure games.

Regards, Lars.

How would the Compact Flash be available to the ordinary Jaguar user? I do have 2 CD players , catboxes, scatboxes, monitor adapters. etc but no Alpine Board. How would I be able to purchase the game again? Do I need to use an extra cartridge game and remove the roms and put an eprom in its place? Please explain since i am confused.

Thanks

How would the Compact Flash be available to the ordinary Jaguar user?

Everybody that wants to play EerieVale will have to puchase a CF compact flash unit from JagWare when they announce availability. You will not need an Alpine board.

How would I be able to purchase the game again?

You will be able to buy only one version for the Jaguar and it will be on CF. There will be a PC and possibly a Dreamcast version. You can buy the game again for those formats if you wish to see the differences.

Do I need to use an extra cartridge game and remove the roms and put an eprom in its place?

No, no, no - the actual CF cartridge unplugs from the CF unit in the Jaguars cartridge slot.

There's going to be probably two versions of the CF a developers and standard one with a "catnip cable" (like BJL but better) to use with it.

We will see what happens though with all this when it actually occurs. :

You should at least check out a picture of the CF prototype if your interested, it should be on Jagware.

Fair enough. :D Personally, I think what happened with MYST was, it got great reviews everywhere and that alone made people run out and buy it. BUT, I think once people got over the great graphics and sounds, it was a rather boring game because it's extremely confusing! Those puzzles...my god. Do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure them out!?!? I just didn't get the game at all. I understand the story and all of that, but the puzzles...ugh. I think I'm gonna make a MYST poll now. ;)

Now, see, that's exactly what others were talking about in the sense that it depends what genres you like. I personally LOVE Myst, as do MILLIONS of people since it was a HIT GAME. I didn't find it to be a "snooze-fest" at all. I just wish the sequels would have made it to the Jaguar as well. I happen to have a friend who bought a Jaguar&CD just becuase of Myst, after starting it on my Jaguar, they had to have their own so they could finish it.

How would the Compact Flash be available to the ordinary Jaguar user? I do have 2 CD players , catboxes, scatboxes, monitor adapters. etc but no Alpine Board. How would I be able to purchase the game again? Do I need to use an extra cartridge game and remove the roms and put an eprom in its place? Please explain since i am confused.

Thanks

Very soon, the first serie for developpers will be very soon available and after some tests and debugging sessions, the 'all people release' will be done.

JagCF is plug and play, that's all. After you have just to insert your CF game and switch on your Jag nothing else.

GT Turbo (Jagware)

• 2 years later...