NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #8 - Donkey Kong

13 replies to this topic

#1 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:17 AM

You saved April, now save Pauline! Yes, it's time for Donkey Kong!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Notes: Play difficulty A. Looks like the score rolls at 1,000,000 so for our purposes scores will be capped at that point for the rankings.

Bonus!: For folks who want an extra challenge, roll the score twice for one bonus point! Please take appropriate before and after pictures.

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (May 1) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

100,300 bust3dstr8 (+10 pts)
96,200 vdub_bobby (+8 pts)
77,100 gdement (+6 pts)
74,900 Jibbajaba (+4 pts +1 pt for best tip)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

2,682,300 Tom Votava
1,627,500 Todd Rogers
267,600 David B Yancey
185,000 Stephen Krogman

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (44 pts)
2. vdub_bobby (36 pts)
3. bust3dstr8 (29 pts)
4. LarcenTyler (27 pts)
5. gdement (23 pts)
6. MetalSlime23 (21 pts)
7. 8th lutz (16 pts)
8. duncantoml (10 pts)
9. Slayer (8 pts)
10. Bucket (7 pts)
11. Cybergoth (2 pts)
12. Jibbajaba (1 pts)

Game Info

Original coin-op game developed by Nintendo in 1981, ported to the NES by Nintendo in 1986.

Other platforms: Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, Game Boy Advance, Intellivision, MSX, PC Booter, TI-99/4A, VIC-20, Wii, ZX Spectrum

Prequels/Sequels/Spinoffs: Uncountable! A few highlights: Donkey Kong Jr. (Arcade, 1982, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, ColecoVision, Game Boy Advance, Intellivision, NES, Wii), Donkey Kong 3 (Arcade, 1983, Game Boy Advance, NES), Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES, Wii 1985), Donkey Kong Country (Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, SNES, Wii, 1994), Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Boy Advance, Gameboy, SNES, 1995), Donkey Kong Land (Gameboy, 1995), Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (Game Boy Advance, SNES 1996), plus many many more, as well as all the Mario-themed games.

Donkey Kong 3 is notable for not starring Mario but, rather, featuring the only appearance of Stanley.

Tips

Me: I've found that I score best when I only use the hammers when I have to.

gdement: (technique for getting by springs)

I don't know any special technique for it, but on the 3rd lap I know I cut it pretty close. You basically have to run Mario's nose against the spring as it comes by, then you'll just barely have enough time to make it. There might even be a luck factor - I'm not sure if the springs follow the same path each time.

Jibbajaba:

My best tip is to use both hammers on the first screen. Even if you only get 4 barrels with each hammer, that's an extra 4,000 points on the screen, which more than makes up for the hit you'll take on the bonus. As DK starts to throw more barrels as the game goes on, you can whack even more of them with each hammer. Racing straight to the top without smashing the barrels is just leaving points on the screen unnecessarily.

Edited by vdub_bobby, Tue May 1, 2007 9:14 AM.

#2 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:49 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• donkey_kong_01.png

#3 Jibbajaba ONLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 4,321 posts
  • Editor - Classic Gaming Quarterly

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 AM

43,600 for today. On the second screen, I don't understand how to get to the top once those little springy things start coming faster. I can't make it to the top of the final ladder before I get hit. I think I'll have to consult a strategy guide...

Chris

#4 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 AM

This port (and the NES DK Jr.) seem to ramp up in difficulty very slowly.

Anyway, got a couple games in last night: 63,500

Attached Thumbnails

• DK_63500.jpg

#5 bust3dstr8 OFFLINE  

bust3dstr8

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:22 PM

Is there a difference between the two Nes versions of DK?

#6 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:49 PM

Which two versions? The standalone cart and the "Classics" multicart (w/ DK and DKJr)?

And I have no idea.

#7 Jibbajaba ONLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 4,321 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 AM

I just dug out my Donkey Kong Classics cart, and I don't see a difference. The difference between the carts, of course, is that DKC comes with Donkey Kong Jr. But the versions of Donkey Kong appear identical to me on both carts.

Chris

#8 gdement OFFLINE  

gdement

Stargunner

• 1,766 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:37 AM

I think I was on the 4th lap. The platforms on the 2nd screen started moving too quickly that time for me to follow my normal pattern, and I had trouble doing it differently. I felt lucky to get past the last few screens before I lost my guys on that one.

This is a really good version. One difference I noticed from the 7800 is this version gives you 500 points for smashing barrels. I got quite a bit of points that way.

dk___77100.png

I don't understand how to get to the top once those little springy things start coming faster. I can't make it to the top of the final ladder before I get hit.

I don't know any special technique for it, but on the 3rd lap I know I cut it pretty close. You basically have to run Mario's nose against the spring as it comes by, then you'll just barely have enough time to make it. There might even be a luck factor - I'm not sure if the springs follow the same path each time.

#9 Jibbajaba ONLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 4,321 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 PM

Posted Image

If I can best it, I'll edit this post. Otherwise, this will be my final score.

My best tip is to use both hammers on the first screen. Even if you only get 4 barrels with each hammer, that's an extra 4,000 points on the screen, which more than makes up for the hit you'll take on the bonus. As DK starts to throw more barrels as the game goes on, you can whack even more of them with each hammer. Racing straight to the top without smashing the barrels is just leaving points on the screen unnecessarily.

Chris

#10 bust3dstr8 OFFLINE  

bust3dstr8

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Tue May 1, 2007 5:11 AM

Edited by bust3dstr8, Tue May 1, 2007 6:17 AM.

#11 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue May 1, 2007 8:41 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• donkeykong_96200.jpg

#12 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue May 1, 2007 9:13 AM

We're done!

#13 tendo OFFLINE  

tendo

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 PM

Just brought out the old NES...

Here's my high score.

I will be back for more

Tendo
Donkey_Kong.jpg

#14 bretthorror OFFLINE  

bretthorror

Dragonstomper

• 816 posts

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 PM

Sorry to bump, but been playing this a lot lately and can't get past the third elevator; spring gets me every time. Anyone got any good advice or more detailed than what was posted before?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users