IGNORED

Wizard of Wor Arcade

johnnywc

Return of wor sounds like he left and he came back

Actually, it's "Return to Wor", not "Return of Wor". I'm basing that particular title on the manual of the original Atari 2600 game, which states that "Wor" is the name of the kingdom in which the game takes place (sort of).

Return of wor sounds like he left and he came back

Actually, it's "Return to Wor", not "Return of Wor". I'm basing that particular title on the manual of the original Atari 2600 game, which states that "Wor" is the name of the kingdom in which the game takes place (sort of).

my bad. :D

but still sounds like he left Wor and now he came back to Wor

Hi John!

Great to see you back at brewing up more masterpieces for a starving Champ Games fan community!

Wizard of Wor looks set to smoothly fit into the ranks of CoM and Lady Bug :thumbsup:

Love the attention to detail and hunt for perfection the screenshot already reveals :)

- hoping you'll succeed in sneaking the starfield into the kernel. Would give it that special arcade touch :cool:

At least as a switchable option, in case flicker should become an issue...

- figure that the tunnel arrows must be made of playfield graphics, and leave little place for flexibility. Would be neat though if that zebra and flattened current look (at least on the static shot) could be minimized, makes them stand out a bit too much from the rest IMO...

Looks like the VCS is set to become the action-gamer's machine of choice this year, with RipOff, WoW, "Mystery Shooter", Lead, Juno First and Colony 7 in the pipeline! :lust:

Eric

- figure that the tunnel arrows must be made of playfield graphics, and leave little place for flexibility. Would be neat though if that zebra and flattened current look (at least on the static shot) could be minimized, makes them stand out a bit too much from the rest IMO...

What's the plan for boards where there are maze walls in line with the tunnel (usually the case except in The Arena and The Pit)?

Hi there,

- hoping you'll succeed in sneaking the starfield into the kernel. Would give it that special arcade touch

At least as a switchable option, in case flicker should become an issue...

This will be tough to squeeze in, and most likely at the expense of something else that's more important (like flicker or single-line resolution sprites, etc.). I do have M0 free so once the kernel is stable (I'm still trying to squeeze in multiplexing) I'll see if I can fit in the starfield trick from Cosmic Ark...

Yes - it must use playfield graphics. I had Nathan work with it for a bit and we both agree that's this is the best it can look with the limitations. So, the question becomes - does it look better than not having the arrow there at all? - and we both agree it looks better than nothing. After all, this is the 2600 we're talking about so some concessions have to be made... :)

Looks like the VCS is set to become the action-gamer's machine of choice this year, with RipOff, WoW, "Mystery Shooter", Lead, Juno First and Colony 7 in the pipeline!

Agreed! Personally, I can't wait to see Juno First and Colony 7 finished, and Lead is awesome in 1K - let's hope for a full blown 4K version! And I wonder who's working on that "Mystery Shooter"??? :ponder: ;)

What's the plan for boards where there are maze walls in line with the tunnel (usually the case except in The Arena and The Pit)?

Here's a screen shot showing the first maze (doors open & closed). I happen to have exactly enough cycles free to make two changes to the playfield color:

post-30-1177892473_thumb.png post-30-1177892486_thumb.png

Good observation!

Thanks for the suggestions...

Edited by johnnywc

Here's a screen shot showing the first maze (doors open & closed). I happen to have exactly enough cycles free to make two changes to the playfield color:

Is the striped appearance a result of clock-cycle limitations, or what? I would think it might look best if the "arrow" part were solid while the door was striped. In that case you could use the third column of pixels on the arrow to make it more "pointy", something like:

----------------
------------IIII
----------------
------------IIII
--------IIII----
--------IIIIIIII
----IIIIIIII----
----IIII----IIII
----IIII--------
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
----IIII--------
----IIII----IIII
----IIIIIIII----
--------IIIIIIII
--------IIII----
------------IIII
----------------
------------IIII
----------------

Is the striped appearance a result of clock-cycle limitations, or what? I would think it might look best if the "arrow" part were solid while the door was striped.

No - there are no such limitations. Here's what it looks like with the solid arrow:

post-30-1177940215_thumb.png

Looks pretty good IMO - thanks!

EDIT: Here's a version with just the arrow (no dashed lines). Opinions?

post-30-1177940747_thumb.png

Edited by johnnywc

Maybe like this?:

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- xxx ---- ----

xxx xxx ---- xxx

---- xxx ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

- a slim triangle, solid but not fat. (the previous revision arrow reminds a bit of Atari's starship....)

The reduced size of the arrow would also correspond better with the arcade version

Keeping the third column blank, should accentuate its appearance as an arrow.

In theory - not sure what it would look like on the real thing...

perhaps some type of high-tech looking animation for these arrows?

frame 1

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

frame 2

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- xxx ----

---- ---- ---- ----

frame 3

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- xxx ---- ----

xxx xxx ---- ----

---- xxx ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

well, it's high-tech in my book.

Find it quite decent now, comes over less intrusive than before...

Maybe a couple more tries:

This one could look quite nice:

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- xxx ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

xxx xxx ---- xxx

---- ---- ---- ----

---- xxx ---- xxx