IGNORED

Wizard of Wor Arcade

johnnywc

post-30-1177959206_thumb.png

I'd vote for this one, personally. It most closely matches the relative size of the arrow in the arcade version, and the striping acts to obscure the horribly low playfield resolution. It gives it an "I meant to do that" look instead of a "this is the best the 2600 can do" look.

Thumbs-down on an animated arrow. Not arcade authentic.

EDIT: Here's a version with just the arrow (no dashed lines). Opinions?

I drew my arrow fat to try to make it stand out against the dashed lines. Doesn't really work aesthetically. Perhaps just use a "thin" arrow with no dashed lines? Try it in both striped and non-striped versions; as noted, striped may help reduce the 'blockiness' factor.

• Like 1

Hmm.. I like the idea of the animated arrow too. I'll have to see what that looks like....

If you need to see some animation just ask me. Here's two variations: Flashing and shooting.

The flashing one switches between striped and soild arrows. I can understand how purist would feel about moving arrows but IMHO authenticity should not be a factor if it makes for a cosmetic improvement over the original. The launch dragon in medieval mayhem as compared to the arcade warlords is a perfect example of that. But, then again I did include the flashing version as well if more people disagree with the other.

click on tumbnails to watch animation

post-7623-1177985904_thumb.jpg

post-7623-1177985863_thumb.jpg

Edited by espire8

Hmm.. I like the idea of the animated arrow too. I'll have to see what that looks like....

If you need to see some animation just ask me. Here's two variations: Flashing and shooting.

The flashing one switches between striped and soild arrows. I can understand how purist would feel about moving arrows but IMHO authenticity should not be a factor if it makes for a cosmetic improvement over the original. The launch dragon in medieval mayhem as compared to the arcade warlords is a perfect example of that. But, then again I did include the flashing version as well if more people disagree with the other.

Wow - I really like the first (shooting) one... great job! I never thought the arrows would draw such attention and so many suggestions... they're all very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Wow - I really like the first (shooting) one... great job! I never thought the arrows would draw such attention and so many suggestions... they're all very much appreciated.

Funny how such things happen. I don't particularly like the animations, but was thinking it might be interesting if the arrow is normally striped and turns solid (or changes color, cycles permitting) whenever a monster is adjacent to the door.

The animations are great - as all your work, Espire8.

(Hoping for a return of the MM Knight somewhere!)

Just would be out of place here, I find.

Since the arrows only serve as indicators that the escape tunnels are open, they should remain discrete and in the background.

Oversizing or animating them has an adverse effect, IMHO. It's almost like pushing the players to use the tunnels...

Since the arrows only serve as indicators that the escape tunnels are open, they should remain discrete and in the background.

Oversizing or animating them has an adverse effect, IMHO. It's almost like pushing the players to use the tunnels...

Thanks. Yeah, I can agree with you on that point. Unfortunately the playfield pixels are far too wide to make a good distingusihable small arrows without some kind of compromise. It's a tough call but at least it's better than nothing, I would have liked to include the wall but that leaves almost no room for the arrow with just 2 pixels width. Maybe a small solid triangle may do. I'll see what I come up with later with supercats last suggestion.

Edited by espire8

AtariVox support for high scores & speech

:thumbsup:

It's going to be great, the SpeakJet speech sounds very close to the original.

At present, the AtariVox would not be compatible with a second joystick

Yes. It would have been nice if that had been designed into it originally

:mad:

At present, the AtariVox would not be compatible with a second joystick

There's no need to be angry against Nathan. Unless I'm missing something, he's absolutely right about that. It certainly would be a lot better if the second joystick was still supported.

I don't particularly like the animations, but was thinking it might be interesting if the arrow is normally striped and turns solid (or changes color, cycles permitting) whenever a monster is adjacent to the door.

I figured how to keep the wall intact; though the arrow is still quite large and I slowed down the frame rate because I think the faster animation was too distracting. What do you think of this sample?

post-7623-1178058695_thumb.jpg

Also, here's one with supercat's monster warning suggestion. I know Nathan has made monsters already but I've never seen them and I did'nt want to make one just for this sample so I used something exsisting that looks like a monster.

post-7623-1178058707_thumb.jpg

The animations are great - as all your work, Espire8.

(Hoping for a return of the MM Knight somewhere!)

Just would be out of place here, I find.

Thanks, :lol: I was tempted to use the knight in the above sample but it's definatly out of place. In fact, as someone else is already aware, I do have the MM knight staring in his own game (a hack actually) that I'm trying to finish up and post very soon.

Well, at least the monster warning idea may have the opposite effect here... I would'nt want the arrow pushing anybody into a monster. :skull:

EDIT:Oops, forgot the 2nd version solid arrow warning--

post-7623-1178066237_thumb.jpg

Edited by espire8

Had you spent too much time figuring out how to make the AtariVox perfect, it would have never actually gotten built. There are some aspects of the design that might have been nicer if done differently, but something that works as well as the Avox actually does is better than something which would work better if it was actually built, but which wasn't.

That having been said, I think that for the AtariVox to reach its potential there must be some way to use it with two-player games. Which of the following options would you prefer:

-1- A microcontroller-based "Y" adapter that attempts to automatically arbitrate between AVox games and old-style joystick games, and provides a means for specially-programmed games to use the AVox and joystick simultaneously?

-2- A discrete-logic "Y" adapter which allows the connection of two joysticks to a single controller port, using the paddle "dump" transistor to select between them; both joysticks would be used in the left port, while the Avox would use the right.

-3- A microcontroller-based version of the Atarivox with a joystick on the back of it, with the controller programmed to behave as a normal Atarivox and Joystick passthrough except when software explicitly commands otherwise?

-4- Something else?

-2- A discrete-logic "Y" adapter which allows the connection of two joysticks to a single controller port, using the paddle "dump" transistor to select between them; both joysticks would be used in the left port, while the Avox would use the right.

This is a good choice, it would also be useful for 3 players joystick games ?

useful for 4 player joystick games.

useful for 4 player joystick games.

Useful for multiple button games as well. How difficult would it be to put the ground connection on a 60hz OR gate? Calibration is not really a problem, since software could be written to handle that (as in "press first player's button to start the game").

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...