IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 52: Missile Command

Ze_ro

Aliens from the planet of Krytol have begun an attack on the planet Zardon. The Krytolians are warriors out to destroy and seize the planet of Zardon. Zardon is the last of the peaceful planets. The Zardonians are skillful and hardworking people. Their cities are built-up and rich in resources. It is truly a planet void of crime and violence.

Zardon has built a powerful defense system. Several antiballistic missile bases have been established within the cities of Zardon. The Zardonians are ready for this attack, and are prepared to fight to save their cities.

As base commander it is your responsibility to protect and defend six cities on the planet of Zardon. The Krytolians have begun firing interplanetary ballistic missiles. They are aiming at your cities and missile bases. Your only defense is to fire back with antiballistic missiles. But watch out, the Krytolians are sly, they also have cruise missiles. Cruise missiles look like satellites, but they are just as deadly as the interplanetary ballistic missiles.

Use your antiballistic missiles (ABMs) to stop the enemy before your happy and harmonious planet is destroyed.

Game Information

• Game Name: Missile Command
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Fast Defence Missiles
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: rheffera

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, May 3rd at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 577,230 (johnnywc) [+22]
  2. 398,830 (SpiceWare) [+20]
  3. 196,370 (Deteacher) [+18]
  4. 146,845 (Goochman) [+16]
  5. 118,195 (scogey) [+14]
  6. 113,885 (rheffera) [+12]
  7. 97,290 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  8. 96,230 (Recycled) [+8]
  9. 88,015 (Zeptari1) [+6]
  10. 59,210 (Krytol) [+4]
  11. 48,555 (Captain Beard) [+2]
  12. 46,795 (LarcenTyler) [+2]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+4]

Bounties and Challenges

• HSC Anniversary - This being the only season so far of the HSC to actually reach a full year (Season 4 game 1 (Star Trek) was posted April 27th, 2006), this week will be Double Score Week, so all point totals will be doubled! (22 points for first place, 4 points for best tips, 2 point minimum on all scores, etc)

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 7,232,890 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 1,579,110 (Greg Troutman)
  3. 187,880 (Stephen Knox)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [508]
  2. SpiceWare [351]
  3. Deteacher [339]
  4. vdub_bobby [185]
  5. LarcenTyler [183]
  6. keilbaca [175]
  7. Nathan Strum [161]
  8. rheffera [160]
  9. Goochman [114]
  10. johnnywc [110]
  11. the 5th ghost [98]
  12. scogey [98]
  13. shadow460 [92]
  14. Cybergoth [91]
  15. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  16. BrianC [78]
  17. shawnb [71]
  18. Christophero Sly [70]
  19. atari2600land [70]
  20. Zoyx [66]
  21. Malc74 [63]
  22. Recycled [58]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. The MindMaster [33]
  27. ewing92 [32]
  28. Captain Beard [30]
  29. Jred [26]
  30. Crazy Climber [26]
  31. doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Nognir [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • JimboGames [4]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Krytol [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Missile Command

• Interplanetary Ballistic Missiles - 25 points
  • Enemy Cruise Missiles - 125 points
  • Unused Antiballistic Missiles - 5 points
  • Saved Cities - 100 points
  • Scoring Multipliers:
    • Waves 1-2 - Single Scoring
    • Waves 3-4 - Double Scoring
    • Waves 5-6 - Triple Scoring
    • Waves 7-8 - Four Times Scoring
    • Waves 9-10 - Five Times Scoring
    • Waves 11 and ABOVE - Six Times Scoring

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy online for your reading pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:

- You may fire up to three defense missiles simultaneously. After pressing the controller (fire) button, move to the next enemy site and fire again. Do not wait for the explosion before moving.

- Once a city is destroyed you no longer can defend it, so concentrate only on your missile base and saved cities. Ignore enemy fire aimed at cities already destroyed.

- Smart enemy cruise missiles are easiest to destroy if your target control is directly on them. When it is directly on them, the enemy cannot detect your ABMs.

Some personal pointers to remember:

-Your silo can only be hit if a missile hits the very top of it. (e.g. the part with the flashing dot.) If a missile is going to hit any other part of your silo, leave it alone.

-Don't sit around idly waiting for your missiles to finish exploding, but don't go overboard either. Try to identify which missiles are presenting the highest level of danger and go after those first.

-If a missile is going to hit the ground, then let it go, since no damage will be done.

-Cruise missiles should always be your first priority since they move faster than standard ICBMs.

Some tips:

* My TV bleeds some colors so badly, I can't see the cruise missiles. If that happens to you, switch the 2600 over to B&W. You get better contrast.

* The obvious one: In higher levels, only worry about protecting the cities to the immediate right or left of your base. Don't waste time or missiles trying to protect the other ones. You may even only be able to protect one city after awhile.

* If all of your cities get wiped out - keep shooting! Cruise missiles especially are worth some big points as you get into the higher levels, and you may just be able to earn back a city.

--Zero

46,795, first score.

Some personal pointers to remember:

-Your silo can only be hit if a missile hits the very top of it. (e.g. the part with the flashing dot.) If a missile is going to hit any other part of your silo, leave it alone.

-Don't sit around idly waiting for your missiles to finish exploding, but don't go overboard either. Try to identify which missiles are presenting the highest level of danger and go after those first.

-If a missile is going to hit the ground, then let it go, since no damage will be done.

-Cruise missiles should always be your first priority since they move faster than standard ICBMs.

My best out of three games....

MC.jpg

This is my fist time posting a score here.

I'm not sure why i waited so long...

-Rick

BTW... Too bad I missed the Tapper high score ! I'm not that great at it. But it's one of my favorites.

Yeah, it does seem to reach a maximum speed. When the screen color cycles back to the first color scheme (black background, orange ground) that seems to be the fastest level.

I hit 196,370 last night. I'll post a pic of that screen if I don't manage to improve. There's no way I'm going to top 500K, so I'm playing for personal best right now. :)

post-9712-1178157843_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher

This will have to do. I just can't get into a groove with this one. For what it's worth, I scored much better with a Trak-Ball than a joystick.

post-2641-1178161951_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic. I need to learn how to use this camera. :roll:

Some tips:

• My TV bleeds some colors so badly, I can't see the cruise missiles. If that happens to you, switch the 2600 over to B&W. You get better contrast.
  • The obvious one: In higher levels, only worry about protecting the cities to the immediate right or left of your base. Don't waste time or missiles trying to protect the other ones. You may even only be able to protect one city after awhile.
  • If all of your cities get wiped out - keep shooting! Cruise missiles especially are worth some big points as you get into the higher levels, and you may just be able to earn back a city.

Edited by Nathan Strum