IGNORED

Gauntlet II Comes To PSN Tomorrow

Tempest

Anyone else going to pick this up tomorrow? Gauntlet was one of my favorite games growing up (actually my friend had a hacked version for the PC called C***let) , but the problem is that it's not nearly as much fun without other people. Now that they have network play, I can't wait to try it out.

Tempest

Gauntlet II is the one where each player can select whatever character they want, right? So if everyone wants to play the Warrior, they can?

I might. The free network play is another factor. For Gauntlet on Live, 99% of the time when I wanted to play, no one else in the world did. And the 3 times I did get a game, 1 was a decent, but quick game, 1 was an immediate disconnect, and the last one ended when two players decided they wanted to do nothing other than sit in a corner and kill spawns until the timer ran out (probably for achievement purposes).

Plus, the Live Gauntlet is bugged so that it screws up your high score chart.

So, yeah. Maybe if it's $5 or less.

Gauntlet II is the one where each player can select whatever character they want, right? So if everyone wants to play the Warrior, they can?

I might. The free network play is another factor. For Gauntlet on Live, 99% of the time when I wanted to play, no one else in the world did. And the 3 times I did get a game, 1 was a decent, but quick game, 1 was an immediate disconnect, and the last one ended when two players decided they wanted to do nothing other than sit in a corner and kill spawns until the timer ran out (probably for achievement purposes).

Plus, the Live Gauntlet is bugged so that it screws up your high score chart.

So, yeah. Maybe if it's $5 or less.

Yes Gauntlet II allowed each player to pick any of the four characters. The price is $4.99 I believe.

Tempest

I will most likely be getting Gauntlet II this weekend. I just hope it's as good as the original. Along with Rampart, Sprint and Calling All Cars, it should be a great multiplayer game.

As a side note, I bought Blast Factor last weekend and it was a lot of fun to play with 4 people at 2xAT speed. :)

I bought it this past weekend and played it with some friends for quite a long time. I thought it was a very good port of the game. The only thing I don't like is the beep sound it makes moving around the menu screens. Why the hell is it so freaking loud?!

I think we got up to level 115 before we called it quits. It was 2:30 AM and I wasn't sure how many levels it has. Anyone know for sure how many there are?

I bought it this past weekend and played it with some friends for quite a long time. I thought it was a very good port of the game. The only thing I don't like is the beep sound it makes moving around the menu screens. Why the hell is it so freaking loud?!

I think we got up to level 115 before we called it quits. It was 2:30 AM and I wasn't sure how many levels it has. Anyone know for sure how many there are?

I think there are 100 unique ones, then they repeat in a semi-random order.

Here's a REALLY in-depth FAQ that will tell you everything you wanted to know about Gauntlet II (and more):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583776/13973

Tempest

The only thing I don't like about the game is the fact that if you are playing online multiplayer and anyone drops from the game, its game over for everyone and you are kicked out of the game.

Really PO'd me when four of us (none of knew one another before playing) were in a game for about 30min and one player left and all of us were bumped out of the game.

Someone really needs to look at this and make a fix that allows the other players to continue the game.

Mendon

The only thing I don't like about the game is the fact that if you are playing online multiplayer and anyone drops from the game, its game over for everyone and you are kicked out of the game.

Really PO'd me when four of us (none of knew one another before playing) were in a game for about 30min and one player left and all of us were bumped out of the game.

Someone really needs to look at this and make a fix that allows the other players to continue the game.

Mendon

Ouch! Is that a bug or is it on purpose?

Tempest

Damn PS3 owners got ripped.

On top of the game ending if someone drops (WTF!?) there's no voice chat!!???

Is that true?

If so I'll stick with Gauntlet on Live

Further proof you get what you pay for...or don't pay for I guess.

there's no voice chat!!???

Actually I view that as a plus...

Tempest

So if you and I were playing a game of Gauntlet, you wouldn't appreciate it if I told you I had to quit instead of you game just ending? LOL Ok

Wait I forgot, I heard on the PS3 it isn't easy to hook up and play with people you know is it? You probably get stuck with a lot of riff raff?? If so you're right it probably is a plus then, altho in my opinion ruins what should have been a good game.

Wait I forgot, I heard on the PS3 it isn't easy to hook up and play with people you know is it? You probably get stuck with a lot of riff raff?? If so you're right it probably is a plus then, altho in my opinion ruins what should have been a good game.

No, but as with all online games you stuck with a bunch of emo whiny teenagers who enjoy swearing and making sexual references every chance they get because they think they're cool. Unless I'm playing with a group of friends that I know, voice chat is always a gamble (and usually a poor one at that).

Yes it's true that the PS Network isn't as wasy to hook up with people as XBox Live is, but then again it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. For a free service it suits my needs just fine.

Tempest

Yes it's true that the PS Network isn't as wasy to hook up with people as XBox Live is, but then again it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. For a free service it suits my needs just fine.

Tempest

I'm confused, So your Ok with spending $700 on a system and one game to play on it....but $3.85 (or less) a month is an arm and a leg!?? :?

I'd almost say this defies logic and it almost just sounds like maybe you're trying to sugar coat the situation, something I'd bet you wouldn't be doing if you hadn't just gone out and spent that much cash on your PS3.

Also you didn't answer the main question...

So if you and I were playing a game of Gauntlet, you wouldn't appreciate it if I told you I had to quit instead of you game just ending?

Edited by moycon

I'd almost say this defies logic and it almost just sounds like maybe you're trying to sugar coat the situation, something I'd bet you wouldn't be doing if you hadn't just gone out and spent that much cash on your PS3.

Think what you want, I honestly don't care. I don't get involved in fan boy arguments.

Oh and if I want someone to nag me about how much I spend on things, I'll get a wife. Thanks.

Tempest

Oh and if I want someone to nag me about how much I spend on things, I'll get a wife. Thanks.

Tempest

Hu!?? I wasn't nagging in the least... you brought it up by saying you thought that Live was expensive, I'm just trying to figure out your logic. Honestly I'm not a fan-boy or I wouldn't have a Wii and a 360 and be planning on getting a PS3. You aren't making a lot of sense is all. And with you trying to insult me by saying I sound like a nagging wife...well that just kinda seems like your diverting attention away from the question I asked that you still haven't answered.

I can see you saying you don't like voice chat because you don't like talking to 12 year old foul mouth kids, I'm going to assume you have no desire to play games online or have never played online before because no-one forces you to talk to foul mouthed 12 year olds in my experience. I can play with people off AA or family or heck anyone I played with in the past that I had a good time with. I've played Gauntlet many many times online and fact is, especially on a 4 player game, it's much better/easier with VC just because a person can help guide a player that doesn't know which way to go or tell them to step aside...etc. Maybe your excuse should have just been that you don't care because you don't play online.... Not because Live costs an arm and a leg, then the whole thing would have sounded much less silly. In any case, for folks that do play online, and are considering getting a PS3 this news sucks regarless what you consider expensive or if you would ever use chat.

Oh and I wouldn't bother looking for a wife if less than $4 is an arm and a leg... Most women I've met tend to get a lot more expensive then that. ;)

I'm going to assume you have no desire to play games online or have never played online before because no-one forces you to talk to foul mouthed 12 year olds in my experience. I can play with people off AA or family or heck anyone I played with in the past that I had a good time with.

I'm a veteran of several MMORPGs, and BBS Door games before that. I've had my share of online gaming experience, and never once have I had the desire to "chat" with anyone via voice. Sometimes you can screen out the freaks, but most of the time it's just the luck of the draw. So if listening to some 15 year old tell you how high he is right now is your idea of a good time, by all means enable the voice chat. I'll stick to keyboard chatting or nothing at all.

Tempest

and never once have I had the desire to "chat" with anyone via voice

Ok this quote explains it all. In other words you never have used it and have no clue what it's like.

Believe me, if you have any friends at all...and they also like to play online, and you enjoy the same games, it comes in mightly handy on these type of co-op games where you cannot communicate otherwise.

I've played MMORPGs also, and I have yet to play one where you cannot communicate with someone, especially if the game will suddenly end without warning when anyone quits. This talking to people is something you would just have to experience for yourself, but I know know the old saying...hows it go? You can't teach and old dog yada yada yada.

As someone who does play online and desires to talk to people in co-op games (because it easyier and fun with the right people), not being able to on a simple old-school 4 way game on the PS3 is a suck deal and I would gladly pay $3.85 a month to do it if the option was that or what the PS3 Gauntlet offers for free. Hopefully Sony will patch the game in the future for people that don't mind talking with other folks while they play.

and never once have I had the desire to "chat" with anyone via voice

Ok this quote explains it all. In other words you never have used it and have no clue what it's like.

I've never used Xbox Live, that is correct (it's rather hard since I don't own an XBox), but I have used voice chat before in games. I think I misspoke in my prevous comment, I HAVE used voice chat before, but I've never had the DESIRE to do it. I've used it when forced by my party to do so (like when doing God runs in FF XI). I forget what we used, it was some 3rd party deal (FF XI doesn't have native voice chat) and I don't recall the name of the software at the moment.

So yes I have used voice chat before, I just don't like it. If that makes me an old dog, new tricks and all that rot then fine I don't care. I suppose if I was ONLY playing with a tight group of personal friends that I knew then that would be different, but in any game where you're forced to meet up with complete strangers I won't do it. Too many freaks...

Tempest