IGNORED

Best Multiplayer Genesis Games

The best multiplayer Genesis games. What are they?

I just picked up Soldier of Fortune yesterday and me and my brother gave it about an hour of play. I was a little disappointed, though I'll probably give it a few more plays.

So what are the truly superlative two-player games on the Genesis?

Edited by vdub_bobby

Streets of Rage (series, although #2 is the standout)

Golden Axe (series, #1 is the best)

Mortal Kombat (series, #2 is best)

Street Fighter II (series, all are about the same)

Dark Wizard (Sega CD, I nearly always play it with a friend)

Shining Force 1 (same as Dark Wizard. We divide up troops and play)

Those are the titles I thought would be best: the Streets of Rage series and the Golden Axe series.

The 2-player titles I have are:

NBA Jam

NBA Jam TE

Super Street Fighter II

Street Fighter II Championship Edition

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Soldier of Fortune

Road Rash 2

Formula One

I love the NBA Jam games and the Street Fighter II games, the others are all just OK as multiplayer games (well, Sonic 2 is worthless as a 2-player game).

What about other beat-em-ups like Double Dragon, TMNT, Battle Toads? Are they any good? And what are the best multiplayer shooters?

Edited by vdub_bobby

I've played the TMNT (Hyperstone Heist?) game in emulation, and it seemed pretty good. I didn't want to pay the $30 it was going for on ebay last I hunted for it, but it seemed like it would be a solid beat 'em up.

I hear Double Dragon is the most arcade accurate of the old ports of the game. I hear recurring issues with the controls, though. I haven't been able to snag it.

Honestly, I can't think of any multiplayer scrolling shooters. Doubtless there are some run and gun ones, but I can't think of any of the traditional spaceship variety. I recall that the reason I played Darius Twin so much on the SNES with one of my friends was merely because there was a dearth of 2 player simultaneous scrolling shooters on the Genny.

There's Gauntlet IV if you're interested in that kind of game. I think it works with both kinds of 4 player adaptors. It really is the best version of the classic, even better than the arcade game.

I've played the TMNT (Hyperstone Heist?) game in emulation, and it seemed pretty good. I didn't want to pay the $30 it was going for on ebay last I hunted for it, but it seemed like it would be a solid beat 'em up.

I hear Double Dragon is the most arcade accurate of the old ports of the game. I hear recurring issues with the controls, though. I haven't been able to snag it.

Honestly, I can't think of any multiplayer scrolling shooters. Doubtless there are some run and gun ones, but I can't think of any of the traditional spaceship variety. I recall that the reason I played Darius Twin so much on the SNES with one of my friends was merely because there was a dearth of 2 player simultaneous scrolling shooters on the Genny.

There's Gauntlet IV if you're interested in that kind of game. I think it works with both kinds of 4 player adaptors. It really is the best version of the classic, even better than the arcade game.

Thanks for the recommendations. ;) Anyone else want to chime in?

And one multiplayer scrolling spaceship shooter is Biohazard Battle. I've never played it, though.

EDIT: Found some others on mobygames.com:

Forgotton Worlds

Battle Squadron

Edited by vdub_bobby

These are some of the Genny classics that come to mind.

Columns

Herzog Zwei - The Grandfather of RTS games

Toejam & Earl 1&2 - Cute adventure games

Contra: Hard Corps - I'll take this over the slowdown riddled SNES Contra anyday.(yes...it's hard)

Gunstar Heroes

Trouble Shooter, Vapor Trail and BioHazard are all pretty good shooters.

BattleToads is great on the Genesis, probally not worth the trouble to get if you own the NES one.

Mercs is pretty good also.

These are some of the Genny classics that come to mind.

Columns

Herzog Zwei - The Grandfather of RTS games

Toejam & Earl 1&2 - Cute adventure games

Contra: Hard Corps - I'll take this over the slowdown riddled SNES Contra anyday.(yes...it's hard)

Gunstar Heroes

Trouble Shooter, Vapor Trail and BioHazard are all pretty good shooters.

Isn't Trouble Shooter 1P only?

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Eternal Champions, classic fighter.

Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine is great head to head competition, Columns is a great arcade port also.

Of course sports games are usually good, especially any of the EA Hockey games.

I like Side Pocket, terrific pool game.

Edited by SRGilbert

Sonic 2 does feature a two player mode with one player as Sonic the other as Miles "Tails" Prowler. But even in the single player platform goodness...a second player could pick up controller two and control Tails at any time. The great thing about this, was that Tails could never die for good in the game. So...he was good to use during boss fights...hehe...

One player just had to keep Sonic safe..the other would use Tails to get in there and plaster Robotnik as quickly as possible.

Gotta have Rock n' Roll Racing in your multi-player collection too! :cool:

And if you can find it, Yu Yu Hakusho by Treasure for the Japanese Mega Drive. It's a 4-player fighting game. :D You can play it on your US version Genesis with a Game Genie and a special code.

And don't forget the 4-player Sega CD game Dungeon Explorer. ;)