IGNORED

Some questions about the GENESIS

As many of you have read before, I recently picked up a Genesis, which doesn't seem to work. I've check the power supply and it is in good order and I've looked over the Genesis itself and nothing obvious appears broken or fryed, but I may have to go through it with my multimeter. First though, I'd like to know some basic things like the volt/amperage needed for the Genesis (I have the small, newer version, I believe 2, because I think the Genesis 3 has a "3" on it and is very tiny isn't it? So, while the adapter is a Sega product, I want to make sure it was intended for this unit, as it only says Sega on it and no mention of the Genesis. Also, will the system turn on without a cart installed? I only have one cart, and it may be to blame. If anyone has any old Genesis cart that they don't want, but know it works, I'd appreciate it as a gift to test out my system, assuming the Genesis will not turn on without a working cart...The whole unit looks to be in excellent condition and is very clean, so it's hard to believe it may be fryed.

as an owner or every sega system and add on, ill tell ya most power plugs by seg aare generic and i think the only one that give a description is the master system one i think for the genesis family (gen 1/2 32x and cd) they are all interchangable and a NES or jaguar plug will also work fine on it, at leatson mine it does. as for genesis 3 it wasnt made by sega so it may be differnt and yes it IS small

by your name gunstar, i thought youd be a sega expert. is your name from the game gunstar heroes? greatest genesis game ever.!!

Good Luck, I could tell you nightmare stories about what I went threw.I got a football game I know that works if your willing to pay shipping. I also got a r/f cable (for which one it fits I do not know).This I do know that a power supply for a 1 is different than for a 2. I also have the power supply for a #2. You can have all or any of it.-------tb

Yes, i do know SNES is bad, a friend of mine tried using a SNES adapter on his Jaguar, back when the Jag still cost $250 and fryed it! A/C means alternating current like that which comes directly out of the wall and runs through a cycle of alternating positive and negative current. D/C means direct current which is a constant current as in batteries and systems like the Genesis and jaguar use a A/C to D/C "adapter" to change the A/C wall outlet current into constant D/C current. The SNES has a "power pack" which does not convert, but merely stores the A/C power and disperses it as needed using capaciters. many electronics companies choose D/C for console and such because there are no timing problems as with A/C power and capiciters running 90 degrees behind the rest of the current. Very bad to try and mix A/C and D/C.

to answer the other question about my name (handle); I took the name from the movie 'The Last Starfighter' actually, it was the name of the ship. The Last Starfighter has a lot in common with ATARI, as the game in the movie was supposed to be an Atari game and Atari developed, although never commercially released a game based on the movie with the same name. they ended up changing the game slightly and releaseing it later as StarRaiders II. A copy of the original Last Starfighter version can be downloaded off the net for emulators and A.P.E

I took the handle when Battlesphere for the jaguar was released as it has many references to both the movie, TLS, and Star Raiders, so it bacame my handle as i love the movie, Star Raiders and Battlesphere. it has nothing to do with GUNSTAR HEREOS; never played the game.

I figured out it was the power adapter and NOT the Genesis that is broken. I hooked the Genesis up to my adjustable voltage supply in my tester's kit and it works fine. I need to get a new power adapter for it. Tbfinley2, how much do you want for the powerpack? Just shipping? I'd be very interested in it. I'll pay more than shipping if you want, just to save the trouble of looking for one... :roll:

Also, remind me of any of the cream of the crop Genesis games, that were NOT updated or sequels on the newer systems. I only intend to get a few actual Genesis games, like a dozen. My true purpose for the system is to add a SegaCD and 32X to it to play all the great CD games and the half dozen good 32x games...like shadow Squadron and Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing...